Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My first -- and last -- impression of 1080P on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Why ? Just if they will make overnight copies from native BR disks to your DVR's drive... You will get full blown PQ ans sound !

But they gotta get that copy to your DVR somehow in a reasonable amount of time. This is were the combined transponders could come into play.

sending to DVR as a file is super duper easy, even a caveman could do it. Streaming live using multiple transponders would take a Lot of engineering work and more than likely a firmware update to the boxs.

either way I think it could be done and providers are choosing NOT to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Night shift many transponders are underused - calculate time for DL 20 GB movie of 1/2 of regular tpn ( ~15 Mbps). If it will happen in 2 or 3 days would you satisfied ?

#23 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Watched "Inception" in 1080p last week. No complaints about the picture quality. I thought it looked comparable to a Blu-ray disc.

I was going to buy "Inception" in standard DVD since it doesn't really have many special effects.....love the movie though. I bought it in Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray and the standard DVD were priced the same at Fry's Electronics on release day.

#24 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

Why ? Just if they will make overnight copies from native BR disks to your DVR's drive... You will get full blown PQ ans sound !

Many reasons NOT to do this.

- Hard drive space - DirecTV has only about 90 GB of reserved space for these operations, and they have contracts with the studios to pre-load a number of movies at a time.

- Hardware limitations - You'll never get better than 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from these receivers, because that's the best their hardware can do. Blu-Rays support higher-bit-rate formats, upto and including 7.1 raw PCM.

- Competition - The studios control the format of the downloads, and don't want to compete against Blu-Ray, which gives them higher margins.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

I was going to buy "Inception" in standard DVD since it doesn't really have many special effects.....love the movie though. I bought it in Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray and the standard DVD were priced the same at Fry's Electronics on release day.

...wait...what? Inception doesn't have many special effects? Wow. Either way, every movie is better on Blu-ray versus DVD.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

Over the weekend, I tired of football for a while and decided to take advantage of DirecTv's anniversary offer. I downloaded a 1080P pay-for-view movie.

We chose "The American". Loved the movie, was disappointed with the PQ.

My lesson? Stick with Blu-ray.

Anyone have a a better experience?

1080P looks fantastic on D*, but that said, it will never look as good as a BD disk playing in your living room. Why would anyone think that it could? It will also never sound as good, currently no provider is offering or transmitting any of the newer audio formats that are available on most of today's newer BD titles...

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

Exactly.

No service can match, or even come close, to the bandwidth that a locally-attached Blu-Ray player has. VoD downloads have an average bitrate of about 8 Mb/s, with peaks as high as 12 MB/s or so, plus, they were encoded using multi-pass encoding over hours or even days, to allow the very best quality to be squeezed out and still have a relatively low bitrate. But a Blu-Ray can sustain 40 Mb/s, with peaks of 50 Mb/s! That's an average of FIVE TIMES the bitrate of a VoD file, and even more than a "live" linear channel, which has a further disadvantage of being compressed in real time, which means the compression isn't as optimized. It's like drinking out of a firehose instead of a garden hose.

Expecting anything else to compare well against Blu-Ray is, well, kind of silly. Not only does Blu-Ray have tons of bitrate, it can also do UNCOMPRESSED 7.1 channel audio too! It really is a home theater buff's dream format. But if that is your quality "standard", you won't be happy with a movie delivered any other way.

Yeah, 1080P over 1080i format seems pretty much a marketing gimmick as far as PQ is concern as real deciding factor is the available bandwidth of which BD is of course unrivaled via a high bandwidth local connection to an HDTV.

#28 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

:eek2:
Inception is a great BR title... it's visually stunning.

From http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/14492/

Inception's unassuming interiors, wind-swept city streets, lush parks, warm hotel hallways, stormy beaches and icy military bunkers are brimming with bold, beautiful colors, rich blacks, (generally) lifelike skintones and striking contrast leveling. Likewise, while slight ringing rears its head throughout the film -- most, if not all, of which appeared in the film's theatrical presentation as well -- detail is crisp, clean and organic, fine textures are exceedingly well resolved, object definition is sharp and satisfying, and most every aspect of Nolan's intricate world is given ample opportunity to shine. On the technical front, artifacting, noise, smearing, aliasing, crush, banding and other obnoxious compression anomalies are either non-existent or kept to an absolute minimum, and the transfer is as proficient as they come.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

And you on opposite to consumer's side. Nice.

I don't ask for reasons do not do that. I did pose one possible way to DO that.

1st - irrelevant, enough space for many HD movies - the 100 GB limit is not hard coded - I mean the reserved space is allocating on SAME partition with customer's recording.

2nd - 5.1 DD would be good enough. I did not request TrueHD sound ...

3rd - I wouldn't say so - if it come to increase revenue by 10M+ sat subscribers, then money flow will be increased significantly.

Many reasons NOT to do this.

- Hard drive space - DirecTV has only about 90 GB of reserved space for these operations, and they have contracts with the studios to pre-load a number of movies at a time.

- Hardware limitations - You'll never get better than 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from these receivers, because that's the best their hardware can do. Blu-Rays support higher-bit-rate formats, upto and including 7.1 raw PCM.

- Competition - The studios control the format of the downloads, and don't want to compete against Blu-Ray, which gives them higher margins.

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

And you on opposite to consumer's side. Nice.

I don't ask for reasons do not do that. I did pose one possible way to DO that.

1st - irrelevant, enough space for many HD movies - the 100 GB limit is not hard coded - I mean the reserved space is allocating on SAME partition with customer's recording.

2nd - 5.1 DD would be good enough. I did not request TrueHD sound ...

3rd - I wouldn't say so - if it come to increase revenue by 10M+ sat subscribers, then money flow will be increased significantly.

....a few problems.

1.) The size of native BD disc-based films

- The amount of time it would take to download is unreasonable at this time
- The amount of HDD space it would consume is another issue

2.) 5.1 DD is not good enough. Picture quality is only part of the advantage to BD, audio is just as important.

Edited by Hoosier205, 04 January 2011 - 02:21 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=Hoosier205;2673925
2.) 5.1 DD is not good enough. Picture quality is only part of the advantage to BD, audio is just as important.[/QUOTE]

To you and to other audiofiles, it is, but I would be willing to bet that the percentage of people who have a blu ray player without surround sound is higher than the number of people who have no HD source for HD TVs.

To the vast unwashed, blu ray is about PICTURE not sound. Just the way it is. And the way it is marketed.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

To you and to other audiofiles, it is, but I would be willing to bet that the percentage of people who have a blu ray player without surround sound is higher than the number of people who have no HD source for HD TVs.

To the vast unwashed, blu ray is about PICTURE not sound. Just the way it is. And the way it is marketed.

I don't associate with those people. :D Yuck...
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

....a few problems.

1.) The size of native BD disk-based films

- The amount of time it would take to download is unreasonable at this time
- The amount of HDD space it would consume is another issue

2.) 5.1 DD is not good enough. Picture quality is only part of the advantage to BD, audio is just as important.

1) give us NUMBERs, you still compound words ...
2) 5.1 DD sound track would be good enough for 99% of sat customers

#34 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

We tried it once last year, also on a freebie offer, and found it to be better quality than regular DirecTV video, but nowhere near blu-ray ... All of which is to be expected, I think.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

I don't associate with those people. :D Yuck...

How about people who buy the all-in-one systems? They come with bluray now. Or a sound bar. I hear they magically make speakers appear from nowhere. :P
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

How about people who buy the all-in-one systems? They come with bluray now. Or a sound bar. I hear they magically make speakers appear from nowhere. :P

I don't associate with them either. :D Friends don't let friends buy crap.
DTV = Digital Television

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Or a surround sound system that doesn't have HDMI (or video only HDMI.) I was one of them until fairly recently when I upgraded my receiver.

#38 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

1) give us NUMBERs, you still compound words ...
2) 5.1 DD sound track would be good enough for 99% of sat customers

...what numbers do you want? Do you not know how large a film on blu-ray is? If someone believes that DD 5.1 is "good enough" they should just stick to DVD's.
DTV = Digital Television

#39 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

...what numbers do you want? Do you not know how large a film on blu-ray is? If someone believes that DD 5.1 is "good enough" they should just stick to DVD's.

I have DD 5.1 and don't have room for DD 7.1 and I have Klipsch Reference Series Top Of The Line Speakers with 2 Downward Firing SVS 12" Subs on a Subdude and my System Will Rock Your World with a Denon AVR-5803 170 Watt Receiver so I don't think you need DD 7.1 and I have Never had a Complaint about my Audio Sound!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have DD 5.1 and don't have room for DD 7.1 and I have Klipsch Reference Series Top Of The Line Speakers with 2 Downward Firing SVS 12" Subs on a Subdude and my System Will Rock Your World with a Denon AVR-5803 170 Watt Receiver so I don't think you need DD 7.1 and I have Never had a Complaint about my Audio Sound!!! :D

I'm not talking about 5.1 vs 7.1 though. I'm talking about lossy DD/DTS vs LPCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall