Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My first -- and last -- impression of 1080P on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Im 47 i dont think thats old, but certainly im not young. When my mother get a 720 Hd set and she had the hd channel and sd channel in her line-up I could not tell the difference between the 2 so when I get hd tv's I got 1080 sets cause to me the 720's are worthless. At least with the the 1080 there is a slight difference. My eyesight is perfect I have never had glasses or contacts in fact my last eye test the doctor said I have better than 20/20 eyesight more than likely.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Im 47 i dont think thats old, but certainly im not young. When my mother get a 720 Hd set and she had the hd channel and sd channel in her line-up I could not tell the difference between the 2 so when I get hd tv's I got 1080 sets cause to me the 720's are worthless. At least with the the 1080 there is a slight difference. My eyesight is perfect I have never had glasses or contacts in fact my last eye test the doctor said I have better than 20/20 eyesight more than likely.

There is a noticeable difference between 480i and 480p. Upscale to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p and there's a significant difference. Perhaps your TV needs calibrating.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#78 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

My parents had both the HD and SD channels in their line-up too and there was no difference. That is because they were not using the composite video connection :D My nephew switched it to HDMI, and there is a world of difference.:sure:

I am 60, nearsighted, and have cataracts,and even I can tell the difference between 480i and 720P. Even on my 55" Panasonic plasma, I really cannot tell the difference between 720P and 1080i.

#79 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

well i dont know what connector they were using, but i use hdmi. and ive heard others (co-workers) say similar comments as i have mentioned. one younger one told me just a few weeks ago when we were talking about hd that she could not tell the difference between hi def channels and non hi def channels but her husband can. i will say i can notice the difference more since i switched to directv than when i had dish but its not a huge knock me over with a stick difference. and i dont know why any of my tv's would need to be calibrated they were bought brand new when i bought my current home less than 2 years ago and it was like this when they were brand new out of the box and i notice this when at other peoples homes watching their hd sets. im just not easily impressed by technology i guess.

#80 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

well i dont know what connector they were using, but i use hdmi. and ive heard others (co-workers) say similar comments as i have mentioned. one younger one told me just a few weeks ago when we were talking about hd that she could not tell the difference between hi def channels and non hi def channels but her husband can. i will say i can notice the difference more since i switched to directv than when i had dish but its not a huge knock me over with a stick difference. and i dont know why any of my tv's would need to be calibrated they were bought brand new when i bought my current home less than 2 years ago and it was like this when they were brand new out of the box and i notice this when at other peoples homes watching their hd sets. im just not easily impressed by technology i guess.

Most TV's are factory set to look good in showroom floors and need to be calibrated for home viewing. Calibration fine tunes the TV's black level, white level, sharpness, color temperture, ect. for optimum home viewing.

#81 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,859 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Not easily impressed by technology is no answer. The difference between SD and HD is huge. Especially with Directv. Something is wrong with your setup.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#82 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not easily impressed by technology is no answer. The difference between SD and HD is huge. Especially with Directv. Something is wrong with your setup.

Or their eyesight.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#83 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Most TV's are factory set to look good in showroom floors and need to be calibrated for home viewing. Calibration fine tunes the TV's black level, white level, sharpness, color temperture, ect. for optimum home viewing.

Or at a minimum taken out of vivid or "torch" mode.

But even without that, the difference between SD and true HD should be obvious.

#84 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,187 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have only seen 2 of them in the last 4 years that I have had HD.
It is overpriced and I can not tell the difference in it from a 1080i program.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#85 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,187 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Definitely a big difference from SD to HD.
As others have posted, you must readjust the TV from the Showrom setting that most default to, to the best settings for the home. Most all of the settings are way too intense for home use where the room is most of the time way darker than a showroom floor.
Most of my settings are about 2/3 of what the default settings are when you first start it up.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#86 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

i do not have the factory set up i have readjusted my tv's. i just wouldn't say its a huge difference when i watch a channel thats hd and go to a non hd channel yes there is a slight difference the hd channel is a bit sharper but its not a huge difference. even if i go to best buy or costco or to a friends house and watch their hd set i dont notice a huge difference. now 3d tv thats a huge difference.

#87 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

hd is nice i just dont have a hard on for it thats all.

#88 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Do you feel there is a big difference between watching a DVD vs watching a Blu-Ray?

#89 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,859 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

i do not have the factory set up i have readjusted my tv's. i just wouldn't say its a huge difference when i watch a channel thats hd and go to a non hd channel yes there is a slight difference the hd channel is a bit sharper but its not a huge difference. even if i go to best buy or costco or to a friends house and watch their hd set i dont notice a huge difference. now 3d tv thats a huge difference.

Still something wrong. There is a huge difference. You may not care but there is a huge difference especially on directv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#90 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,109 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Still something wrong. There is a huge difference. You may not care but there is a huge difference especially on directv.

Indeed.

Now, there are some shows "in HD" that look like garbage, and some SD that looks pretty good, but for 95% of the programming I watch, there's a HUGE difference between the two, vastly in favor of HD.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#91 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,187 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

What resolution is your TV ?
What resolution do you have checked for the DTV receiver to output to your TV ?

#92 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

What resolution is your TV ?
What resolution do you have checked for the DTV receiver to output to your TV ?

Bingo.

Although, not sure why we care so much when the OP clearly doesn't.

#93 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bingo.

Although, not sure why we care so much when the OP clearly doesn't.

Personally, I've never run across anyone that didnt think it was a huge difference when you verified that they actually got to see a good demonstration of HD and they have reasonable eyesight.

#94 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,442 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Personally, I've never run across anyone that didnt think it was a huge difference when you verified that they actually got to see a good demonstration of HD and they have reasonable eyesight.

+1

I've encountered many who claim to not seeing a qualitative difference between 720p and 1080i broadcasts, or displays of either on a 1080p vs. a 720p HDTV set.

But never really met anyone who holds that SD and HD have no significant differences in PQ.

#95 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Well, I don't know the numbers or anything, but when I got my first HD receiver (I still had 2 other receivers in SD) I set it up in my Bedroom. My 12 year old son helped me with the all the connections etc. When we tuned into a channel and he saw the picture; he said, "Holy Crap".

Obviously the difference was very discernible to a 12 year old. I switched out the other two as soon as I was financially able. My son is sixteen now and I still think the HD is great. (at least after I clean the dust of the monitor)

#96 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

tv's 1080 and the genie is set at 1080.

#97 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

Everyone involved in this discussion has stated there is a significant difference between SD and HD yet you continue to say there is only a slight difference. Not being sarcastic but I suggest you get your eyes re-examed by a different doctor.

#98 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

im allowed to have my thoughts and your allowed to have yours. i love the features of a dvr but if someone thinks having a dvr is a joke.....so be it. to each his own. it takes a lot to impress me. im not wowed by the picture when i go the movie theatre either, some are and will only watch movies at the theatre, again to each his or her own. if you love hd and think its a huge difference then thats great. for some people (and ive met and worked with many) we dont see as much of a difference. and thats ok to. some people lover surround sound. for me i can live without it. i prefer a hammer over a nail gun, but i prefer a riding lawn mower over pushing the mower. i like a gas grill, some like charcoal. hey, whatever floats your boat. there is enough room on this site and in this country for different taste's and for people to have different thoughts on things and to not always agree. so we disgagree on this, so what. we probably have more in common than not. have a great day and why get so worked up over it anyway?

#99 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

What's the refresh rate on the tv? I noticed a big difference when stepping to my Sharp 120hz and then a much bigger difference with my Samsung 240hz. Size of the tv matters as well(both were 55").
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#100 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

120 hz....46" main tv. honestly i noticed more of a difference when i first got satellite tv in 96 and got rid of analog cable, that seemed like a bigger difference in pic quality to me. don't get me wrong im happy with my pic quality, but most of the sd channels have good quality too. like ion west looks really good, ion east is hd, but flip between the 2 and don't tell me which one is which and i couldnt bet my life with any certainty which one was hd and which one wasent id be guessing. the other day i was watching king of queens on my local cw station in sd and it looked grainey there was no doubt it was sd.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...