Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My first -- and last -- impression of 1080P on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Well, and some of that falls on the Director. You learn that when watching stuff on a calibrated display. So choices, especially excessive grain, are annoying. Anyone see Green Zone? The fake, added grain, was HORRIBLE.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Id rank em this way:

1) Blu-ray
2) Vudu HDX
3) Direct 1080p

Everything else, not worth my time. Directv's 1080p is not bad, actually quite good, and prob fine for most. Vudu HDX is even better, but lacks the audio. For the rest of us, that care about PQ and AQ, Blu-ray with lossless audio is the only way to enjoy a flick.

Now, if Vudu HDX could find away to get some lossless audio in the stream, Id not need optical media anymore, but I dont see that happening any time soon. If you like Directv 1080p, spend that 5.99 over at Vudu, and enjoy better PQ.

I just saw Wallstreet in HDX on VUDU and the PQ and AQ was Awesome and I don't even have my LG BD590 hooked up with lossless Audio but the PQ just Blew me and my wife away!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#63 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

The streaming version actually has a little better audio than DD 5.1, I think it's DD EX IIRC. Vudu HDX is the future of 1080p streaming IMO, they got something good. I just read this AM that Vudu is adding 3D now :)
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#64 OFFLINE   dndell

dndell

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I just watched Argo on Directv PPV last night (2/20/13), and the video was acceptable (not Blu-ray quality, but watchable & I'm fairly picky). Audio OTOH was awful. Not up to DVD standards - really poor separation. Won't watch another PPV on Directv. Especially disappointing in that I find the regular 5.1 Audio on Directv local and premium channels to be quite good.

#65 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

ive never seen 1080p but im not overwhelmed with my blu ray player either. Of course when hd was first coming out and I was listening to sports talk radio a lot in those days they would always talk on air about how great hd was and go on and on about it so I finally got to a dealer to check it out and I was a bit let down I was like ok it is a bit nicer but not like the way these guys on the radio were going on about it....most people I know agree hd is nicer than standard def picture but it's not like going to color from black and white pic its a bit sharper picture but its nothing to wet your pants over.

#66 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

ive never seen 1080p but im not overwhelmed with my blu ray player either. Of course when hd was first coming out and I was listening to sports talk radio a lot in those days they would always talk on air about how great hd was and go on and on about it so I finally got to a dealer to check it out and I was a bit let down I was like ok it is a bit nicer but not like the way these guys on the radio were going on about it....most people I know agree hd is nicer than standard def picture but it's not like going to color from black and white pic its a bit sharper picture but its nothing to wet your pants over.

I'm confused by your post. In your opening statement you say you've never seen 1080p and are not overwhelmed with your Blu-ray player. That's like saying I've never experienced climate control and am not impressed with my air conditioner. Care to elaborate?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Huh?

You sure you have HD?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#68 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

We have a friend who complained that their new tv wasn't any better . . . until she got new glasses! Seriously!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#69 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'm confused by your post. In your opening statement you say you've never seen 1080p and are not overwhelmed with your Blu-ray player. That's like saying I've never experienced climate control and am not impressed with my air conditioner. Care to elaborate?

I think the poster means he'd never seen a DIRECTV 1080p PPV, but since he's not impressed with the 1080p playback content from his BD player which is much of better PQ than DIRECTV's (or any broadcaster for that matter) of course, its obvious then he wouldn't care for any of DIRECTV's 1080p PPV programming quality.

#70 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I think the poster means he'd never seen a DIRECTV 1080p PPV, but since he's not impressed with the 1080p playback content from his BD player which is much of better PQ than DIRECTV's (or any broadcaster for that matter) of course, its obvious then he wouldn't care for any of DIRECTV's 1080p PPV programming quality.

That's why I asked him to elaborate.

#71 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yes, but it doesn't matter. The TV still deinterlaces it into a 1080p signal. The fact that the PPV is delivered in 1080p format adds absolutely nothing as far as resolution or picture quality is concerned.... it's just a marketing gimmick to make people think that the picture quality of the PPV is the same as what you get with Bluray.

You're almost right. There is one other small change. Yes most modern sets de-interlace the picture anyway. But there is also the 24fps aspect....it removes the 3/2 pulldown that CAN introduce picture jitter in some scenes. Depending on the scene it can be completely invisible, or there just enough that you'd only notice if it were gone.

#72 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

...wait...what? Inception doesn't have many special effects? Wow.

Yeah, saying it doesn't have special effects is a bit odd.

#73 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

You're almost right. There is one other small change. Yes most modern sets de-interlace the picture anyway. But there is also the 24fps aspect....it removes the 3/2 pulldown that CAN introduce picture jitter in some scenes. Depending on the scene it can be completely invisible, or there just enough that you'd only notice if it were gone.

Yes, but even here unless you have a plasma, 120/240 Hz LCD, or maybe 48, 72, 96 Hz, etc. tube type HDTVs TVs that use screen refresh rates which are multiples of the 24 Hz film rate, its useless to you.

Most HDTVs in use today are of the 60 Hz refresh rate LCD panels that while many are certainly capable of receiving a 1080p@24 Hz format signal, must add in a 3/2 pull-down frame sequence to display it thereby effectively defeating the entire purpose of sending the signal in a native 24 Hz frame rate to begin with.

Also flat panel HDTVs are progressive scan of course and contain 3/2 pull-down detection circuitry anyway to remove redundant fields or frames from film based programs to derive the original 24 Hz frame rate.

Edited by HoTat2, 23 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

never saw directv 1080p have seen blu ray....not impressed....clear?

#75 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

never saw directv 1080p have seen blu ray....not impressed....clear?

Seriously? No offense, but are you old?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#76 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Im 47 i dont think thats old, but certainly im not young. When my mother get a 720 Hd set and she had the hd channel and sd channel in her line-up I could not tell the difference between the 2 so when I get hd tv's I got 1080 sets cause to me the 720's are worthless. At least with the the 1080 there is a slight difference. My eyesight is perfect I have never had glasses or contacts in fact my last eye test the doctor said I have better than 20/20 eyesight more than likely.

#77 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Im 47 i dont think thats old, but certainly im not young. When my mother get a 720 Hd set and she had the hd channel and sd channel in her line-up I could not tell the difference between the 2 so when I get hd tv's I got 1080 sets cause to me the 720's are worthless. At least with the the 1080 there is a slight difference. My eyesight is perfect I have never had glasses or contacts in fact my last eye test the doctor said I have better than 20/20 eyesight more than likely.

There is a noticeable difference between 480i and 480p. Upscale to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p and there's a significant difference. Perhaps your TV needs calibrating.

#78 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

My parents had both the HD and SD channels in their line-up too and there was no difference. That is because they were not using the composite video connection :D My nephew switched it to HDMI, and there is a world of difference.:sure:

I am 60, nearsighted, and have cataracts,and even I can tell the difference between 480i and 720P. Even on my 55" Panasonic plasma, I really cannot tell the difference between 720P and 1080i.

#79 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

well i dont know what connector they were using, but i use hdmi. and ive heard others (co-workers) say similar comments as i have mentioned. one younger one told me just a few weeks ago when we were talking about hd that she could not tell the difference between hi def channels and non hi def channels but her husband can. i will say i can notice the difference more since i switched to directv than when i had dish but its not a huge knock me over with a stick difference. and i dont know why any of my tv's would need to be calibrated they were bought brand new when i bought my current home less than 2 years ago and it was like this when they were brand new out of the box and i notice this when at other peoples homes watching their hd sets. im just not easily impressed by technology i guess.

#80 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

well i dont know what connector they were using, but i use hdmi. and ive heard others (co-workers) say similar comments as i have mentioned. one younger one told me just a few weeks ago when we were talking about hd that she could not tell the difference between hi def channels and non hi def channels but her husband can. i will say i can notice the difference more since i switched to directv than when i had dish but its not a huge knock me over with a stick difference. and i dont know why any of my tv's would need to be calibrated they were bought brand new when i bought my current home less than 2 years ago and it was like this when they were brand new out of the box and i notice this when at other peoples homes watching their hd sets. im just not easily impressed by technology i guess.

Most TV's are factory set to look good in showroom floors and need to be calibrated for home viewing. Calibration fine tunes the TV's black level, white level, sharpness, color temperture, ect. for optimum home viewing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...