Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My first -- and last -- impression of 1080P on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

That's another factor. It depends on how the programming was broadcasted. Sports Center on ESPN is transmitted from D* in 1080 but only recorded in 720, IIRC. Try some other channels out as well, especially premium channels if you have them. See if the difference is more obvious.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Sports Center on ESPN is transmitted from D* in 1080 but only recorded in 720, IIRC.

Nope. It is not transmitted in 1080i/p.
DTV = Digital Television

#103 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,655 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

im allowed to have my thoughts and your allowed to have yours. i love the features of a dvr but if someone thinks having a dvr is a joke.....so be it. to each his own. it takes a lot to impress me. im not wowed by the picture when i go the movie theatre either, some are and will only watch movies at the theatre, again to each his or her own. if you love hd and think its a huge difference then thats great. for some people (and ive met and worked with many) we dont see as much of a difference. and thats ok to. some people lover surround sound. for me i can live without it. i prefer a hammer over a nail gun, but i prefer a riding lawn mower over pushing the mower. i like a gas grill, some like charcoal. hey, whatever floats your boat. there is enough room on this site and in this country for different taste's and for people to have different thoughts on things and to not always agree. so we disgagree on this, so what. we probably have more in common than not. have a great day and why get so worked up over it anyway?

I've often posted one man's candy can be another man's poison. Nothing wrong with that. Just find it odd that you say there is a slight difference between SD and HD when I and others agree there's a significant difference.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#104 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

im allowed to have my thoughts and your allowed to have yours. i love the features of a dvr but if someone thinks having a dvr is a joke.....so be it. to each his own. it takes a lot to impress me. im not wowed by the picture when i go the movie theatre either, some are and will only watch movies at the theatre, again to each his or her own. if you love hd and think its a huge difference then thats great. for some people (and ive met and worked with many) we dont see as much of a difference. and thats ok to. some people lover surround sound. for me i can live without it. i prefer a hammer over a nail gun, but i prefer a riding lawn mower over pushing the mower. i like a gas grill, some like charcoal. hey, whatever floats your boat. there is enough room on this site and in this country for different taste's and for people to have different thoughts on things and to not always agree. so we disgagree on this, so what. we probably have more in common than not. have a great day and why get so worked up over it anyway?

Big difference between not caring and not recognizing there is a big difference. If you can see the difference but don't care, that is a preference. To say there is no big difference is not.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...