Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Azimuth for DISH?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobp16

bobp16

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

I live in zip code 14420.

Would anyone kindly tell me what degree azimuth I would need to connect to DISH Network?

Also, if possible......which satellite would I receive signals from for HD and local channels?

Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

www.dishpointer.com

If you're using HD - you'll probably need Eastern Arc ((1000.4) - 61.5, 72.7 and 77 west)
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

www.dishpointer.com

If you're using HD - you'll probably need Eastern Arc ((1000.4) - 61.5, 72.7 and 77 west)

Which is not the azimuth of those satellites.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Which is not the azimuth of those satellites.

No, but it answers the second part of the question "what satellites do I need".
Use those satellites at DishPointer and one can get the azimuth, elevation and more information to help decide if the satellites needed can be seen.

#5 OFFLINE   bobp16

bobp16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thank you for your reply!

Based on my location, it appears that these are the setup figures for the Eastern Arc satellite. Therefore, my azimuth would be 183.9 degrees.

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 43.2196°
Longitude: -77.9136°
Name: Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W)
Distance: 37794km
Elevation: 39.9°
Azimuth (true): 172.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 183.9°
Dish Skew [?]: 84.5°

#6 OFFLINE   bobp16

bobp16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

James,

Am I correct assuming that these are the numbers for my location(zip code 14420) for Eastern Arc?

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 43.2196°
Longitude: -77.9136°
Name: Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W)
Distance: 37794km
Elevation: 39.9°
Azimuth (true): 172.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 183.9°
Dish Skew [?]: 84.5°

A local satellite installer told me on the phone today that the azimuth would be 140 degrees. Is he wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Bob

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

in dishpointer - look up each slot individually as well
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,720 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Take that numbers as initial point of aiming, then use sat-meter or a receiver for fine tuning.

#9 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

I know little about Dish, but you are a little north of me. You are pointing damn near due south. D* shoots at the 101 as the primary, and that's 227 for me, which is SW.

No 110, 119 for you guys any more?

I have no idea how they (Dish) decides which dish to install.

I've seen the basic 110/119
a 'super' which I guess gets 129 (That's super low in the NY area.) We can usually not get a 119 installed here with trees...
Supposedly a 148 dish? Maybe that's a different markets.
And HD with the 110/119 was a second like 61 or 72.5, or both dish.
Now they are install what looks like a Direct style slimline shooting south, with 3 eyes on it... which is, I assume what was mentioned above. Due south means virtually no tilt, and that's true for them around here.

Good luck

and either a 110 or 119 still shooting SW.

SO ****ING CONFUSING!

Edited by prestone683, 05 January 2011 - 01:12 AM.
edit

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

The dish installed depends on the HD locals. DISH does not have room on 110-119-129 for every local market in HD -and 129 is harder to receive in the northeast part of the country. So DISH put many eastern market locals (Iowa and east) on 61.5 and 77. DISH has also mirrored the core channels and DISH Latino to the satellites at 61.5-72.7-77 (requiring an MPEG4 receiver) providing a "one dish" service for most customers.

It isn't too confusing ... if one wants HD look for where the HD locals are and get the one dish that is for that satellite arc.

Older setups (non-HD) that have not been upgraded may still aim at 119-110. DISH has put the SD locals for many markets there regardless of where their HD channels are. Installers in the area should know what dish to install. In my area everyone new for the past few years has been getting an "Eastern Arc" dish aimed at 61.5-72.7-77 and HD equipment, even if they didn't subscribe to HD. (Although there are probably some local retailers and individuals cutting corners by installing SD equipment.)

Some areas have HD locals on both "arcs" ... I'd find that confusing but pick either complete arc and one should be fine. In markets with HD locals on one arc the answer is simple. Get that arc!

#11 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

It would seem to me, so pricey to run two complete sets of arcs... In this area, new installs i notice get the south arc, and 1 LNB dish to point 110/119 direction. (Not sure which one...)

Where D* is intentionally killing and consolidating, for ease and price, Dish seems to be spreading out thinner...

Personally, I believe D* will at some point soon kill the 4 xponders on 110 (which we don't own and only use for spanish) and 119, when all markets go HD.

1 SWMline 3lnb, 'Does it all'.

As I said before, we can hardly get 119 here... Dish shoots 129 occasionally here, but I think consolidation is best. Simplier on the techs..

Remember I mentioned how screwed up I feel Dish is? I count 61, 72, 77, 110, 119, 121, 129, I think 148...

72 we are killing, and except for 95, everything for us is always 1 dish...

Bah...

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

It would seem to me, so pricey to run two complete sets of arcs... In this area, new installs i notice get the south arc, and 1 LNB dish to point 110/119 direction. (Not sure which one...)

They have to work with the licenses they have or can lease. The good news (for DISH) is that other than internationals on 118 and separate business channels on 121, all the consumer satellites are DBS. 118 and 121 are Ku BSS. No Ka's ... and DISH's future plans are more DBS locations.

Where D* is intentionally killing and consolidating, for ease and price, Dish seems to be spreading out thinner...

A single DISH aimed at either arc (not both) is all that is needed for most customers. Basically a "Phase III" will get it done.

Personally, I believe D* will at some point soon kill the 4 xponders on 110 (which we don't own and only use for spanish) and 119, when all markets go HD.

DirecTV owns three licensed transponders at 110 and the satellite that transmits them. I'm sure DISH wouldn't mind taking them over if DirecTV walked away. DISH needs the space. The 11 transponders at 119 would be a goldmine for DISH. But I don't see DirecTV leaving those transponders. They'll find a use for them.

As I said before, we can hardly get 119 here... Dish shoots 129 occasionally here, but I think consolidation is best.

Another good reason for DISH to use closer slots in your neighborhood. If everything was Western Arc it would be harder on DISH and their installers.

72 we are killing, and except for 95, everything for us is always 1 dish...

Thanks for getting off of 72 ... DISH will use every transponder DirecTV vacates (on the Canadian satellite).

For most customers DISH is one dish - just not the same LNBs in California as in New York.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

It would seem to me, so pricey to run two complete sets of arcs...

You might think so, but since the greatest demand comes from LIL service, it isn't that much of a difference.

Giving everyone two looks at service is also a major win in terms of LOS opportunities.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

DirecTV owns three licensed transponders at 110 and the satellite that transmits them. I'm sure DISH wouldn't mind taking them over if DirecTV walked away.

DIRECTV has essentially "walked away" from 110W. Their usage (or lack thereof) doesn't appear to me to qualify their license for the slot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

You might think so, but since the greatest demand comes from LIL service, it isn't that much of a difference.

Giving everyone two looks at service is also a major win in terms of LOS opportunities.

You are from Oregon. Forgive for my stupidity, but I believe you have a lot of trees. lol. So you presumably, can have a fair amount of LOS issues there. We do to, the farther north we go. Hence I was mentioning them killing the 119. That's the only one that usually gets us in trouble, but our market is HD locals.

A market further north for Albany, NY, uses HD and SD (119), and in the Berkshires (across the border in Mass), FORGET LOS for the 119 most times.

But for us here. If there is a will, there is a way. We rarely lose a job for NOLOS. Get 'er dun....

We just primarily need 36, 35, 34 respectively to get our 99-103 3LNB in. That's pretty high.

And what I was going to mention from a post up above. Even the brand new installs from Dish around here that are getting the 'Western' dish, still get a single 18" dish pointing someplace at 110, 118, 119, or something like that...

And I've seen a lot of those going in for new installs.

Legacies seem to be the two dishes.

And for a little in between, they were getting those 'Slimline' 110, 119, 129 dishes. Man do those shoot low...

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

A market further north for Albany, NY, uses HD and SD (119),

Albany is also available on Eastern Arc. It is SD only on 110. Installers there should be installing the EA equipment.

And what I was going to mention from a post up above. Even the brand new installs from Dish around here that are getting the 'Western' dish, still get a single 18" dish pointing someplace at 110, 118, 119, or something like that...

Where is here again? If Albany is North then you're in the NYC market. Eastern Arc will get everything one one dish ... 119-110 will get just SD channels (if there is a LOS issue).

Two dishes would historically be 119-110 plus 61.5 for HD ... but that time has passed. People need complete arcs. The only legit two dish HD install now would be a full Western Arc dish plus 61.5 and that would only be used if there was a severe line of sight issue to 61.5 and 72.7.

For NYC there is nothing of great importance on 77 so in a pinch a Dish 500 would work (aimed at 61.5-72.7) as a non-standard install. The installs you are seeing are either old or in places where LOS is a problem.

#17 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

Albany is also available on Eastern Arc. It is SD only on 110. Installers there should be installing the EA equipment.
Where is here again? If Albany is North then you're in the NYC market. Eastern Arc will get everything one one dish ... 119-110 will get just SD channels (if there is a LOS issue).

Two dishes would historically be 119-110 plus 61.5 for HD ... but that time has passed. People need complete arcs. The only legit two dish HD install now would be a full Western Arc dish plus 61.5 and that would only be used if there was a severe line of sight issue to 61.5 and 72.7.

For NYC there is nothing of great importance on 77 so in a pinch a Dish 500 would work (aimed at 61.5-72.7) as a non-standard install. The installs you are seeing are either old or in places where LOS is a problem.

Here is listed under my name :P Northeast, upstate NY

Full western arc is 110, and 119? or + 129?

How do you know for each area which they get? You seem to easily know NYC is: and Albany is: etc?

When I mentioned Albany was 119, I was referencing D*. They have both HD and SD locals. HD on either 99 or 103, and SD on 119.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Full western arc is 110, and 119? or + 129?

All three, for HD customers.

How do you know for each area which they get? You seem to easily know NYC is: and Albany is: etc?

I know where their locals are on the satellites. It isn't rocket science.

More importantly, the installers know and DISH knows.

When I mentioned Albany was 119, I was referencing D*. They have both HD and SD locals. HD on either 99 or 103, and SD on 119.

If 119 is hard to hit then the DISH installers there must be enjoying the single dish EA installs.

spam firewall