Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Does Not Accept 63 character Wireless WPA2 Encryption Key

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Can't you set up the adapter with the proper key on a PC then plug it in to the DVR until this bug is fixed?

No, the password is saved on the host device, not the adapter.

#22 OFFLINE   YurMom

YurMom

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I know this a very old thread but I was wondering if anyone found out the truth of this.  The help screen indeed states upto 64 characters but one can only enter 26.  Has Dish released a new wireless adapter that DOES allow for 63/64H keys?

It would be extremely lame for Dish to say I need to lower my security because they don't understand how easy it is to BRUTE FORCE now days.. a 2 or 3 machine PS3 cluster and viola :smoking: !

(They used a PS3 super cluster to break open SSL certificates)

BTW... unless you don't care for your identity !rolling , these days to use anything less than the longest, random key is asking to spend the next five or ten years just trying to prove you are you :eek2:  .  If you don't understand that some areas of this country are 'trolled' for wireless signals (even non-broadcast SSID's) more than yours, it doesn't mean my key is overkill just that yours is much easier to break and run with your identity.

Personally, if DishNetwork doesn't understand this either would not be a surprise  :bang  ... no 3D, multiple issues with 1080p on the 722, etc.

Will DishNetwork ever step at least into yesterday :blackeye:  so we can start using our products to their FULLEST potential!!!

If you like security... don't listen to someone using less than you.

#23 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Has anyone tried entering more characters? It might be a display bug rather than a data entry bug. Maybe. I have another wi-fi device that doesn't appear to allow more than 32 characters but it really does - just doesn't display them.

#24 OFFLINE   YurMom

YurMom

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I cant enter more than 26 characters.  It stops adding any characters... they are not hidden so you can tell whats being taken.

Also, my network is WPA2 but I hide my SSID.  The adapter, by default, sets my network type to WPA (not WPA2) after I type in my SSID.  I will call Dish tomorrow but thought Id try with some people with actual training on this before some basic CSR... good as Dish's CSR's may be.

It really seems like no one in the Dish Executive branches are paying ANY attention.

Edited by YurMom, 23 April 2013 - 10:40 PM.

If you like security... don't listen to someone using less than you.

#25 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I know this a very old thread but I was wondering if anyone found out the truth of this.  The help screen indeed states upto 64 characters but one can only enter 26.  Has Dish released a new wireless adapter that DOES allow for 63/64H keys?

It would be extremely lame for Dish to say I need to lower my security because they don't understand how easy it is to BRUTE FORCE now days.. a 2 or 3 machine PS3 cluster and viola :smoking: !

(They used a PS3 super cluster to break open SSL certificates)

BTW... unless you don't care for your identity !rolling , these days to use anything less than the longest, random key is asking to spend the next five or ten years just trying to prove you are you :eek2:  .  If you don't understand that some areas of this country are 'trolled' for wireless signals (even non-broadcast SSID's) more than yours, it doesn't mean my key is overkill just that yours is much easier to break and run with your identity.

Then why use wireless at all? Why use WPA2? Why not use WPA2 Enterprise with RADIUS if you're that concerned about data safety?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Lets run KERBEROS server for the rise security !

#27 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Does the 722 support WPA2 Enterprise with RADIUS?

#28 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

I don't get why people buy individual WiFi adapter for their VIP DVR, AV receiver or other equipment. I would just get a WiFi bridge with built-in 4 port switch like Dlink's DAP-1522 to connect my VIP DVR, AV receiver, Xbox and so on.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...