Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How I Met Your Mother 'Bad News' OAD - 1/03/11

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

'Wow' is all I can muster right now. Great episode but...wow at the end.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Was a funny episode, but got way too "real" at the end. I admit, I got teary eyed because I lost my father back in June.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

Be sure to watch for the countdown, starting at 50 on the doctor's desk. I caught all but 3 or 4.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#4 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Was a funny episode, but got way too "real" at the end. I admit, I got teary eyed because I lost my father back in June.

Agreed. We love this show, but in my opinion it was a cheap gimmick and the shows writers, producers and actors should be ashamed. Anyone who has lost a loved-one, especially in a sudden manner like that, will never need any reminders, nor will they ever lose the pain. Their situation should have been given consideration over the "shock-value" of the ending.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I have all the episodes recorded, but I think I'll delete them now (unwatched).

I just don't need this type of stuff in a comedy in my life right now.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I have all the episodes recorded, but I think I'll delete them now (unwatched).

I just don't need this type of stuff in a comedy in my life right now.

Why delete them all because of the content of one episode? And this one episode isn't as bad as others are making it out to be, it's hilarious except for the last minute.

It's a great show and you'll be missing out on some comedy gold, IMO.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the episode. Its a comedy about real life events and peoples struggles, crap happens.

Sure it might upset people who lost a loved one, but it also might upset people who can't have a baby and this show is making a comedy about that. People need to look past their own personal problems and take this show for what it is, a show.

I hope some of you people don't watch South Park or the Family Guy.........

#8 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Be sure to watch for the countdown, starting at 50 on the doctor's desk. I caught all but 3 or 4.

I didn't really care for the countdown personally. I caught it immediately... but found it distracting.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

- We caught the countdown immediately as well, and had fun trying to look for the numbers. Didn't find it distracting at all, and thought they found some really interesting ways to include them.

- As for the last scene.
I lost my Dad in nearly a similar fashion about 5 years ago. Similar scenerio when I tried calling him, and didn't get an answer (which was weird) and found out about 3-4 hours later that he had died from a heart attack.

Yes, I got teary eyed as it reminded me of my dad... but I also felt HORRIBLE for the character's Marshal and Lily. As I know PERSONALLY how it feels for those people. Even thought they are just tv show characters, but they supposed to be people. And you are supposed to relate.

We felt bad for Barney when he found out about his Dad. We felt bad for Robin and her troubles, and Ted as well.

We watch SVU and other shows that have very similar shock values
Spoiler

It is a show, and we are grateful for that. But the reason why the great shows are great, is their fans can often relate to what is going on.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

- We caught the countdown immediately as well, and had fun trying to look for the numbers. Didn't find it distracting at all, and thought they found some really interesting ways to include them.

- As for the last scene.
I lost my Dad in nearly a similar fashion about 5 years ago. Similar scenerio when I tried calling him, and didn't get an answer (which was weird) and found out about 3-4 hours later that he had died from a heart attack.

Yes, I got teary eyed as it reminded me of my dad... but I also felt HORRIBLE for the character's Marshal and Lily. As I know PERSONALLY how it feels for those people. Even thought they are just tv show characters, but they supposed to be people. And you are supposed to relate.

We felt bad for Barney when he found out about his Dad. We felt bad for Robin and her troubles, and Ted as well.

We watch SVU and other shows that have very similar shock values

Spoiler

It is a show, and we are grateful for that. But the reason why the great shows are great, is their fans can often relate to what is going on.

Exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post!

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the episode. Its a comedy about real life events and peoples struggles, crap happens.

Sure it might upset people who lost a loved one, but it also might upset people who can't have a baby and this show is making a comedy about that. People need to look past their own personal problems and take this show for what it is, a show.

I hope some of you people don't watch South Park or the Family Guy.........

Agreed. As someone who posted that it was "upsetting," it doesn't take away from how funny the show has been. I won't quit watching it by any means. It was just a shocking moment that caught me off guard.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

The big problem I have is that it doesn't fit the show.
Spoiler

42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

The big problem I have is that it doesn't fit the show.

Spoiler

First, that doesn't need to be a spoiler per the forum rules. This thread has a Title, and Episode date... so reading it implies that discussion of the contents of the show can be discussed.

Spoilers would be needed for Previews, and disucssions of other shows...

Anyway...

If you look at how the writing has gone for the last few years....
Robin being seriously screwed over by Don... while not a death, it was a pretty emtional to the character... because she geniuenly chose love over her career.

Barney... and his struggles with finding his real dad and the dynamics of his life.

Lily and Marshal, they have definently made more humor of the not-having children then the serious nature of it... but then again, the humor at this point is that they are only a few months into trying... not 4-5 years. And when they broke up, in what at the time seemed to be a SERIOUS seperation...

Ted... being stood up at the alter...

It has been there... the show hasn't been all giggles since it's launch.

This by far has been the most serious one, and the manne which it was presented really added to the shock as 99% of the show was all humor up to that point...then bam. And to add, Marshall's dad was a warm and carring guy, and we really understood the releationship that the two of them had... (and yes, a tear is in my eye as it reminds me of my relationship with my dad)..

But that is what GOOD TV shows are about at times... we relate and understand these characters... Even though this is classified as a "sit-com", it doesn't and hasn't always been comedy all the time.

As to your second point, this goes in a spoiler tag:
Spoiler

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

In response to the speculation about who the kids belong to - the narrator has definitely referred to "Aunt Lily" and "Uncle Marshall."

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Also, Lily wasn't in the classroom Ted was incorrectly teaching in on his first day as a professor. She also didn't have the yellow umbrella. Also, the kids have referred to Bob Sagat's voice as Dad. Season 1 Pilot where he Sagat's voice to his "son" not to use the word smurfpenis on the first date. In season 1 episode 2 the daughter says: "Ohhhhh, Dad!", when he tells about his first date with Robin.

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

In response to the speculation about who the kids belong to - the narrator has definitely referred to "Aunt Lily" and "Uncle Marshall."

This, 1000 times. He refers to all of them as Aunt and Uncle, which clearly indicates these are his kids. There's also a "present" segment where they freak out at him and yell "DAAAAD!!"

I think it had to do with sex, and they got grossed out.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#17 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Yup, exactly Tom.

Aunt Lilly, Uncle Marshall, Aunt Robin, and Uncle Barney have all been referenced too many times to count. Ted's the dad and I'm with Earl on how the ending is going to go.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#18 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

I loved this episode all the way to the end. It reminded of M*A*S*H when they killed off Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake very shocking and brought tears to my eyes. I did not notice the count down though. I saw the big #6 on the file towards the end but never made the connection. HIMYM is one of my fav shows and always has some sort of twist or turn which makes it diffrent from the average sitcom. I did notice that they Gave NPH a guest starring credit as Dr. Stangle. Thought that was cool for some reason.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

If you look at how the writing has gone for the last few years....
Robin being seriously screwed over by Don... while not a death, it was a pretty emtional to the character... because she geniuenly chose love over her career.

Barney... and his struggles with finding his real dad and the dynamics of his life.

Lily and Marshal, they have definently made more humor of the not-having children then the serious nature of it... but then again, the humor at this point is that they are only a few months into trying... not 4-5 years. And when they broke up, in what at the time seemed to be a SERIOUS seperation...

Ted... being stood up at the alter...

It has been there... the show hasn't been all giggles since it's launch.

This by far has been the most serious one, and the manne which it was presented really added to the shock as 99% of the show was all humor up to that point...then bam. And to add, Marshall's dad was a warm and carring guy, and we really understood the releationship that the two of them had... (and yes, a tear is in my eye as it reminds me of my relationship with my dad)..

But that is what GOOD TV shows are about at times... we relate and understand these characters... Even though this is classified as a "sit-com", it doesn't and hasn't always been comedy all the time.

The ending of this episode was a huge departure from the way the show has scripted any "serious moments" in past episodes. If this were a comedy in the same vein as M*A*S*H or SOAP were these type of traumatic events are intertwined with the comedy it would be different. Like I said, to me it was insulting and cheap and had no place in this show, but that's just me. If it was a one-time thing and they move on from it, great, if not they have lost one viewer.

I could be wrong about the kids thing...
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Everybody raves about Barney for some reason, but that character is the biggest reason I lost interest in watching. The 'too full of himself' bit gets old after a few episodes.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall