Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What to do with a HD DVR receiver even though I cancelled my order?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnm81002

bnm81002

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

I cancelled my HD DVR receiver upgrade last week but I still received a HD DVR receiver anyway today, I checked on Directv's website and no changes are shown under "Current Balance", no new activities are shown under "Recent Activity" and nothing is shown under "Pending Orders"
am I being charged for this HD DVR at all? can I keep it and activate it at a future time? if I have to return it, how do I do so?
oh, it's a HR21-700-R and not the better HR24 DVR, thanks for the help
Philips DSR704-My Unit (Seagate 500GB>>482 hours)
Philips DSR704-Wife's Unit (Seagate 400GB>>383 hours)
Directv R15-300
Pioneer DVR810H

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   YtseJammer1977

YtseJammer1977

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I cancelled my HD DVR receiver upgrade last week but I still received a HD DVR receiver anyway today, I checked on Directv's website and no changes are shown under "Current Balance", no new activities are shown under "Recent Activity" and nothing is shown under "Pending Orders"
am I being charged for this HD DVR at all? can I keep it and activate it at a future time? if I have to return it, how do I do so?

Open the box. Inside there's a pre-paid shipping label with the other documentation. Use that to return the receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

If you don't send it back you can be charged for it at Full Price down the road.

Make sure you save all Documentation that you sent it back and I make sure that the Carrier makes them Sign Off on the Box when they receive it at the Shipping/Receiving Dock.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   bnm81002

bnm81002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

thanks guys, how long do I have to return it?
Directv R15-300
Pioneer DVR810H

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I would call them and ask them that and if you don't have Return Labels then ask them to send you a Return Kit.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

Usually it's 7-10 days I think .. but that should only be before charges would be made. If you return it without activating it even after that period, a credit should appear to offset any charges.

Make sure you document everything, though .. including saving any tracking numbers .. so that you can have some paper trail in the event something doesn't get recorded correctly.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

21 days from when they sent it out.

#8 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Happened to me a while back, I called DirecTV, the CSR called Fedex told them I'd refused the delivery...next day Fedex showed up and collected the box. Driver showed me the tracking #'s to write down so I could track and prove where it went and when.

#9 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

How long do I have?

Officially - 7 days.

Unofficially - 21 days.

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

I took a HD DVR out of service and they keep sending the reclaimation box to a wrong address - twice... now there's a charge on my bill of $250.00. I called for the third time and asked them to send out another box... this is getting downright silly.
HarryD

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

I took a HD DVR out of service and they keep sending the reclaimation box to a wrong address - twice... now there's a charge on my bill of $250.00. I called for the third time and asked them to send out another box... this is getting downright silly.

It's not a perfect world as this experience attests .. Just stay diligent and keep records. It will get worked out.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

My dad had a receiver replaced, sent the old one back and still got charged for it. D* claimed he hadn't returned it......since he'd gotten the tracking info before it went back, he was able to tell them which facility (of theirs) it had gone to, and the name of the D* who had signed for it when they received it. They removed the charge on his account.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

They need to acknowledge receiving it within 21 days or you will be slammed with a $250 non-return/failure to activate fee.

As it is with the dozens that have asked this and similar questions before you, make certain that you track the package all the way back to the return center and watch your bill for at least three months after that to make sure you haven't been dinged.

They shouldn't mess it up, but if they do, it is up to you to fix it.

I think the seven day figure is the amount of time you have to request the return after canceling your DIRECTV account altogether but it may also be the amount of time you have to call and request a return label.

Check out the equipment lease addendum under "RETURN OF DIRECTV EQUIPMENT.":

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

My dad had a receiver replaced, sent the old one back and still got charged for it. D* claimed he hadn't returned it......since he'd gotten the tracking info before it went back, he was able to tell them which facility (of theirs) it had gone to, and the name of the D* who had signed for it when they received it. They removed the charge on his account.

How do you track these returns? I dropped it at the post office last Thursday, 12/30 (I have a dropoff receipt & copy of the label). The only USPS info says:

Detailed Results:
  • Picked Up by Shipping Agent, December 31, 2010, 7:47 am, xxxxxxxxxxxx[/SIZE]
  • Available for Pickup, December 31, 2010, 7:47 am, xxxxxxxxxx[/SIZE]

There are 2 tracking numbers. The USPS works, the 2nd one I assume is FEDEX but there is no more information other than what I posted above. The Fedex number shows "no such number" on Fedex.com as of right now.

It's been almost a week.

#15 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

TBlazer07,

It's been a while since I returned my receiver, but I think I recall that the same tracking number used for the USPS is the one that showed the FedEx info, too. I also tried the one number for the USPS and the other for FedEx and finally figured out to use the same tracking number for both.

But again, it's been a while so I could be wrong.

#16 OFFLINE   bnm81002

bnm81002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Open the box. Inside there's a pre-paid shipping label with the other documentation. Use that to return the receiver.

I opened the box and there is no pre-paid shipping label? there is also no packing list inside or on the box itself, does Directv mail pre-paid shipping labels? thanks
Directv R15-300
Pioneer DVR810H

#17 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

TBlazer07,

It's been a while since I returned my receiver, but I think I recall that the same tracking number used for the USPS is the one that showed the FedEx info, too. I also tried the one number for the USPS and the other for FedEx and finally figured out to use the same tracking number for both.

But again, it's been a while so I could be wrong.

Well, if that's the case it's gone nowhere in a week after it supposedly left my local P.O. Well, I guess it's not my problem because I have proof it was dropped off within 24hrs.

#18 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

I bet billing knows your proper address though... :D

#19 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I opened the box and there is no pre-paid shipping label? there is also no packing list inside or on the box itself, does Directv mail pre-paid shipping labels? thanks

Yes, call them and have them send a recovery kit out for the reciever and have them send just the airbill only. Of course be sure to get the tracking # from the airbill when it arrives. Also the Non Return Fee timeframe starts when the airbill is ordered and from there you have 21 days to return to avoid the fee.

@HarryD: Have them cancel and resend a recovery kit, and have them change/update the service/shipping address when sending it out. Have them read it back to you if necessary.

Edited by xmetalx, 05 January 2011 - 09:13 PM.

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

I bet billing knows your proper address though... :D

We mustn't overlook that somehow the OP got the HD DVR shipped to them very recently.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...