Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Welcome to the 2011 CES Forum!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

That's what this thread is. A thread discussing this thread and the CES forum in general.

Other news will be in new threads in this forum.

That and then moved to their appropriate forum within DBSTalk as a whole. :grin:
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

That and then moved to their appropriate forum within DBSTalk as a whole. :grin:

Correct.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

So...Dish Network is listed as being an exhibitor, but DirecTV is not. Is that odd?

http://ces11.mapyour...3_0/search.cfm?

#24 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

So...Dish Network is listed as being an exhibitor, but DirecTV is not. Is that odd?

http://ces11.mapyour...3_0/search.cfm?

DirecTV's recent strategy has been to attend by jointly attending with their development partners in their booths, such as Entropic, Jethead, and others. Hopefully a new one this year. :)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#25 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

As expected, more RVU to be demonstrated ... http://www.businessw...-Technology-CES
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#26 OFFLINE   nashpatrick

nashpatrick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

As expected, more RVU to be demonstrated ... http://www.businessw...-Technology-CES

Sounds like cable companies are using RVU as well. No DTV news that I've seen so far...

http://ces.cnet.com/...027674-283.html

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Sounds like cable companies are using RVU as well. No DTV news that I've seen so far...

http://ces.cnet.com/...027674-283.html

Absense of dish from RVU alliance is puzzling, while they're exclusively using Broadcom and STMicro CPU/chips in their STB/DVR...

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Absense of dish from RVU alliance is puzzling, while they're exclusively using Broadcom and STMicro CPU/chips in their STB/DVR...

What would be the point of a TV carrier being part of the alliance? All other members are hardware or chip companies.

Echostar is a "contributing member".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Same as Directv ?

#30 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Samsung and DIRECTV Partner to Deliver World’s First RVU-Compatible Production Television:

http://www.businessw...ible-Production

Discussion here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=188519

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Same as Directv ?

Me-too is not a particularly sound reason.

Echostar certainly represents DISH Network's hardware interests and maintains an arms-length relationship that wouldn't appear to bias the alliance's effort towards a direct competitor.

The big-money customers are going to be the MSO's looking for cool features in their set-top boxes so that separation is important.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

Why are threads being Moved out of here to the general board? If they were left in here, I could block this forum and not have to see them like I do with other sections of the forum I have no interest in.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#33 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Why are threads being Moved out of here to the general board? If they were left in here, I could block this forum and not have to see them like I do with other sections of the forum I have no interest in.

It's the same thing we do every year. :shrug:

You're not really trying to say that you are interested in every single thread in the forums you don't have blocked and that the CES threads are somehow ruining your reading experience....or do I completely misunderstand what you're asking in your post? :scratchin

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 07 January 2011 - 05:53 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

I have a little more than half of the board blocked and thought I would be able to do that with the CES items when I saw the new forum appear.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#35 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

The threads are being moved to their appropriate forums. Actually it works better this way. The threads that dont interest you are still blocked if they are moved to forums you have blocked. Threads that should interest you are not. If we left everything in this forum and you blocked it, you wouldn't see anything coming out of CES including stuff you might want to know about.

#36 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Well, looks like we survived yet another CES without getting kicked off the interwebs.

Congratulations, gents...well done! :goodjob:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

spam firewall