Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 Requires Hard Reset in the Morning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mpollack

mpollack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hi All,

I am having an ongoing problem with a receiver being "dead" first thing in the morning. Before bed I turn the receiver OFF (put it in STANDBY really). In the morning it won't turn back on with the remote, nor does it respond to any button presses on the unit itself. It sounds like the internal hard drive is spinning but I don't hear the read/write heads accessing the disc. I am able to bring the receiver back to life with a red button reset, after which it continues to operate normally all day long.

This problem happened roughly 5 or 6 times over the last three weeks on a HR21-200 receiver. After contacting DirecTV, they sent me a HR21-700 as a replacement. The replacement unit exhibited the exact same problem today on the very first morning it was in service.

I have an HR20-100 in another room and has not been affected by this problem.

All receivers are/were running 0x452.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems, and do you have any ideas about how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Edited by mpollack, 06 January 2011 - 12:57 PM.
Included SW release info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

How is it connected to the TV?

#3 OFFLINE   mpollack

mpollack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Connected to TV via HDMI.

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

Try component. Maybe it's a handshake issue.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

If the lights don't come on by pushing a button on the DVR, try unplugging it for about a day (no kidding) and plugging it back in again. Surprisingly, it fixes all sorts of things.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   mpollack

mpollack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

If the lights don't come on by pushing a button on the DVR, try unplugging it for about a day (no kidding) and plugging it back in again. Surprisingly, it fixes all sorts of things.

This is something I haven't tried. Does it need to be a full 24 hrs?

The replacement unit had been unplugged for multiple days while in transit. Given that fact, do you think that an extended unplug would help?

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

This is something I haven't tried. Does it need to be a full 24 hrs?

I usually unplug at bedtime and reboot in the morning, sometimes it has worked, sometimes it doesn't. But what you're talking about seems to be more of a cabling, switch, LNB, splitter, etc. problem since the problem stays in the same spot. If the problem follows the HR, it's the HR. If the problem stays and multiple HRs have the same problems as the first one, then it's not the HR. Replacing an HR will not help in this instance. If you have another HR in another location, and it's working properly, swap that with the one with the problems and if you get the same problems call D* and get a tech out to your home.

The replacement unit had been unplugged for multiple days while in transit. Given that fact, do you think that an extended unplug would help?

Can't hurt, but I really think you need a tech to check out your problem with eyes and hands on the equipment.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Yeah the time isn't hard and fast but it can take an astoundingly long time for some of the current to drain from something.

#9 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Try turning on your DVR before you turn on the TV in the morning. Most LCD TVs generate a lot of IR noise for a few minutes which can confuse the DVR. If that fixes the problem, you might consider moving the DVR farther away from the TV.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x0803 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x0803 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0808
DirecTV since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,526 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Is your dish a roof mount? If its on a post or tripod in the yard, do you have a neighbor with a large vehicle (like truck with large box or trailer) that is pulling in front of it blocking the dish at night?

If a roof mount is there a tree with greenery above the dish such that a limb might dip when wet down by evening dew (or a nest occupied at night) and cold dip down in front of the dish at night?

I've seen units lock up when searching for signal a long time.

Or did anything get replugged in down in the area of the SWM or dish? Is there a power supply to the dish or SWM being switched off at night along with turning off a light at bedtime (or later due to a timer)?

I suspect you are losing signal to that unit for some hours at night and it goes into lockup after searching for signal too long. Just a guess. Are all the lines to the splitter/multiswitch clean, dry, and tight? Is this particular line losing contact due to moisture or contraction from the cold?

Don "did I really just ask 'is it plugged in'? sorry bout that chief:grin:" Bolton

Hi All,

I am having an ongoing problem with a receiver being "dead" first thing in the morning. Before bed I turn the receiver OFF (put it in STANDBY really). In the morning it won't turn back on with the remote, nor does it respond to any button presses on the unit itself. It sounds like the internal hard drive is spinning but I don't hear the read/write heads accessing the disc. I am able to bring the receiver back to life with a red button reset, after which it continues to operate normally all day long.

This problem happened roughly 5 or 6 times over the last three weeks on a HR21-200 receiver. After contacting DirecTV, they sent me a HR21-700 as a replacement. The replacement unit exhibited the exact same problem today on the very first morning it was in service.

I have an HR20-100 in another room and has not been affected by this problem.

All receivers are/were running 0x452.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems, and do you have any ideas about how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#11 OFFLINE   dniermeyer

dniermeyer

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

I just had a customer call and say their HR21-700 is doing the exact same thing. It has happened about 8-10 times in the last 2 weeks.

Is this a software issue possibly?

Have you resolved the issue?

Thanks..

Dave

#12 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

Any problem with just leaving it on? I turn mine off but my son never does.

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

No problem at all, as long as the blue lights don't bother you.

spam firewall