Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Onsite ces report - day one

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

CES 2011 Roundup – Thursday January 6, 2011

While the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) technically started yesterday… several of us flew in early this morning for our first day. It’s always fun to come into Las Vegas and drive down the Las Vegas Strip on the way to the Convention Center (see photo 1 on the left below).

Day 1 at CES – The sheer size of the event is staggering (it attracts over 120,000 people each year), even for those of us who have been here before. It takes up the entire North, Central, and South Las Vegas Convention Center halls…plus…the Hilton and Venetian Convention Centers (neighboring facilities) as well. The terms CES and HUGE should always be near each other. (See photos 2 & 3).

After showing our ID’s and getting our badge-holders, we entered CES and proceeded to visit a number of booths…lots of “attendee traffic” at the show.

What was obvious early on is that 3D is anything but “dead”. In fact, there was more signage promoting 3D products this year than last year. Even more interesting was that Toshiba was showing a glasses-free 3D HD demo on multiple size displays at CES this year – from 12” up to 65”. They were real, worked, and actually pretty impressive.

The concept of the glasses- free 3D HD from Toshiba is to have multiple view angles and eliminate distortion at those designated angles. So…defined seating locations (or standing as well) provides clear 3D HD viewing. If you view it from areas between those angles, some distortion remains. (see photos 4 & 5).

In addition to being dazzled by all the new “toys” and events at this mammoth tech show…there was a late afternoon “DirecTV onsite meeting” for a number of DBSTalkers there, including Doug Brott (DBSTalk Moderator), HDTVFAN0001, RichieRich, Draconis, David Ortiz, NR4P, HDhead, The Moose, mattgwyther, and VLaslow. While DirecTV did not formally have a booth at CES, this was a very enjoyable and informative time. Thanks to Doug for coordinating this gathering.

Attached Thumbnails

• CES Photo 1.jpg
  • CES Photo 2.jpg
  • CES Photo 3.jpg
  • CES Photo 4.jpg
  • CES Photo 5.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:28 AM

Nice!
Who all did you guys get to meet with from DirecTV and what all was discussed if thats allowed to share?

looking forward to more from you guys.

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Any publicly viewable non-confidential DirecTV related stuff in the ...

Samsung area (#12006, N116, N117, N118, N119, N213, N214, N215, N216, N217, N219, N220, N221, N222, N223, N224, N225, N226, N227, N228)?

Entropic area (#36212)?

TiVo area (#N201, N202, N203, N204)?

Morega area (#MP25358)?

Doesn't look like Jethead has their own booth.

Edited by Sixto, 07 January 2011 - 08:27 AM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Glasses-free 3D 56"

Nice!

Wish I was there!

#5 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Here is the handout they were distributing at the Entropic booth about RVU.

Attached Thumbnails

• RVU Scan1.jpg
  • RVU Scan2.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Here is the handout they were distributing at the Entropic booth about RVU.

Any DirecTV product(s) viewable in any publicly available booth demonstrating RVU?

Expecting photos of any DirecTV technology in public view anywhere on the show floor. Enter, walk, snap, post. :)

Edited by Sixto, 07 January 2011 - 12:01 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#7 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,850 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

That RVU stuff is interesting. Think it can transport HD guides with transition effects, alpha blending, anti-aliasing and effects (like blurring, glass-look, scaling, interpolation, etc). ?

That OnLive streaming video game service proves that it's possible to stream full 3D graphics and interact with it realtime as if it were a fully featured gaming console.

Also could receivers like the HR24 theoretically be loaded with an RVU server, or older receivers loaded with an RVU client (if they don't have the horsepower to generate advanced graphics by themselves). After all it's software and as long as there's some kind of network connection ie) DECA, it should be theoretically possible.

#8 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I saw the Samsung/DirecTV release and it mentioned specific Samsung models. My 2010 Samsung c8000 has full networking and DLNA features, and I'm wondering why RVU couldn't be used on it. Are the current models missing certain hardware?

#9 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I saw the Samsung/DirecTV release and it mentioned specific Samsung models. My 2010 Samsung c8000 has full networking and DLNA features, and I'm wondering why RVU couldn't be used on it. Are the current models missing certain hardware?

The 2011 D series, available in March, seem to be the first ones compatible, per Samsung's press release.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#10 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

The 2011 D series, available in March, seem to be the first ones compatible, per Samsung's press release.

Sadly, that's how I read it, too. I was just wondering what piece of hardware or what software might prevent the feature from working on 2010 models.

#11 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Sadly, that's how I read it, too. I was just wondering what piece of hardware or what software might prevent the feature from working on 2010 models.

Moca/DECA? But I don't see why you couldn't just use a media converter or set back box connected to Ethernet on those TV's. A little firmware update and bam, good to go! However I take it Samsung wants to sell new TV's. They will make more money that way.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Man, Verizon is announcing all kinds of cool stuff.

Wonder when/if they'll ever implement all this. :)

#13 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Dish doesn't have much in the way of new product this year unless you count the Google TV box that can be connected to their HD DVRs. Their big news is mainly in apps that have been added (see Android PR thread) and updated and the availability of 3D on the top 922 receiver. TV Everywhere via Sling gets heavy promotion. The long-awaited Sling 300 receiver that pairs with the Sling Adapter should be available in a few months.

Pictures and more at http://www.dishuser.org/ces2011.php

I was also impressed with the Toshiba glasses-free 3D. The viewing angle for the demo is quite tight, you can stand next to the person in the middle and get the effect but moving farther to the side causes the image to look like glasses are needed. The prime viewing angles will be widened before it hits the streets at the end of the year.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

What's that vapor rising from the CES circus tent? :eek2:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Though I'm one of those people who would miss the extra hard drive space and tuners, I actually really like the idea of RVU... and is so far one of the few things I've seen remotely interesting (to me) come out of CES (even though we all knew it was coming).

As someone who may soon be in the market for a new HDTV (if I can scrounge up the money), I find the idea intriguing, BUT sadly, none of these TVs appear to be 3D... a must for me. :(

~Alan

#16 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Nice!
Who all did you guys get to meet with from DirecTV and what all was discussed if thats allowed to share?

looking forward to more from you guys.

All the cool DIRECTV people ..

except Earl and satelliteracer
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

That RVU stuff is interesting. Think it can transport HD guides with transition effects, alpha blending, anti-aliasing and effects (like blurring, glass-look, scaling, interpolation, etc). ?

:scratchin .. I'm not exactly sure what you mean. RVU basically means a server does all of the work and the client is the display. It's almost like casting the display signal to another room like you may cast your voice to another person (if you were a ventriloquist).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

You mean like Achmed the dead terrorist???

:D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#19 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

You mean like Achmed the dead terrorist???

:D

...are you scared? :grin:
Press Here for my setup info

#20 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

:scratchin .. I'm not exactly sure what you mean. RVU basically means a server does all of the work and the client is the display. It's almost like casting the display signal to another room like you may cast your voice to another person (if you were a ventriloquist).

Well I attribute RVU like VNC or Terminal Services on a PC. The higher resolution and color depth, the slower the interaction is. Now if bandwidth is controlled on a closed network, maybe it won't have an issue. I'm just curious if the RVU server can push a 720p or 1080i HDUI to the clients, with transition effects, alpha blending and full 32-bit graphics. Or will RVU servers and clients be limited to a 480p, 64 color UI...

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...