Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A Good Example of Why Your Directv Rates Are Going up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

ESPN appears to be on the verge of paying the NFL a huge sum to extend its contract to televise “Monday Night Football,” Broadcasting & Cable reports.

The amount will be as much as $1.9 billion annually, the story says. The current agreement between the sports network and the NFL--an eight-year deal for a total of about $8.8 billion--expires after the 2013 season.

The new deal would reportedly add nine or 10 years to the current contract.

Too bad the NFL & their players aren't making any money. They should try living on my salary instead of thinking about striking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Well, I'm glad part of the increase goes to something I really enjoy watching.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

The NFL is bringing in over 3 Billion a year on TV contracts. Where is all that money going. If it were going to the teams, that would be near 94 Mil per team. I do not think the teams get any where near that much. I do not see the NFL Network losing money with money coming in from carriage charges and advertising revenue. And they have no money to take care of veteran players in need. Give me a break.

http://en.wikipedia....ision_contracts
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

The NFL is bringing in over 3 Billion a year on TV contracts. Where is all that money going. If it were going to the teams, that would be near 94 Mil per team. I do not think the teams get any where near that much.

Considering some of the salaries... and the salary cap...

I did some quick looking... 2010 (this season) was an uncapped year...

But 2009 was $127 million... and some figures I saw had the cheapest team being ~$40 million under the cap... which would mean spending nearly $90 million.

So basically, that TV money goes in a hurry!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Why limit the reason for cost increases to just sports?

Charlie Sheen is getting $1,250,000 PER episode for Two and a Half Men. Heck, even the kid that plays Jake on that show is getting $250,000 per episode. How about a movie star like Will Smith, he made $20,000,000+20% of the gross for the movie Hancock.

Then don't forget the exec's running things, like Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS. His compensation package for 2009 was a cool $43,238,875 (plus I bet he wasn't flying coach on Southwest when it was traveling).

Ever watch the closing credits for some of these shows and movies, that's a lot of folks that have to be paid. Sure the majority of them aren't making the big bucks but there's also a bunch there pulling down the bucks were a increase that DIRECTV is asking doesn't even cause them to blink.

Just saying that all those dollars have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is from our checkbooks. So when you hear that some rookie NFL player is getting $35,000,000 before he even plays a game, or Charlie Sheen will be making $2,500,000 an episode in 2011 you know where that money is coming from, you.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

At that rate... Charlie Sheen is pulling down more money than most professional athletes by a wide margin!

Maybe people who want ESPN to go away should be asking for CBS to go away instead!

#7 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Charlie Sheen needs all that money to pay his lawyers the big bucks to keep him out of jail.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#8 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

I can't beleive that ESPN makes money on MNF at almost 2 billlion a year. Its amazing.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#9 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

we all have to pay for charlie sheens hookers!

#10 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Why limit the reason for cost increases to just sports?

Charlie Sheen is getting $1,250,000 PER episode for Two and a Half Men. Heck, even the kid that plays Jake on that show is getting $250,000 per episode. How about a movie star like Will Smith, he made $20,000,000+20% of the gross for the movie Hancock.

Then don't forget the exec's running things, like Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS. His compensation package for 2009 was a cool $43,238,875 (plus I bet he wasn't flying coach on Southwest when it was traveling).

Ever watch the closing credits for some of these shows and movies, that's a lot of folks that have to be paid. Sure the majority of them aren't making the big bucks but there's also a bunch there pulling down the bucks were a increase that DIRECTV is asking doesn't even cause them to blink.

Just saying that all those dollars have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is from our checkbooks. So when you hear that some rookie NFL player is getting $35,000,000 before he even plays a game, or Charlie Sheen will be making $2,500,000 an episode in 2011 you know where that money is coming from, you.

The majority of those people on the credits of movies and TV shows are below the line and do not make alot of money. They are usually by the hour with a 8 or 10 hour minimum and under union contract. The above the line people who do make the money are the producers and the studios and sometimes the directors and writers, although they have contracts too.

The reason for the rate hikes continues to be outlets like ESPN who pay out these extremely high prices for NFL and the corporate exex who get millions just to sit (or avoid) their offices.

#11 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Someday someone is going to say ENOUGH where it comes to ESPN.

How many "connected" homes in the USA? 120 million? ESPN steals $4 minimum for each and every one of those homes every month, because ESPN contracts says if you carry their signal, every subscriber must get it. (*the 120M homes is a SWAG, try as I might I couldn't find a real number)

Nearly $6 BILLION in annual revenues from connected homes. Every subscriber MUST pay for ESPN.

Perhaps if ESPN is so sure of their value they should drop the requirement for every subscriber. Make themselves an optional package and charge $10/month.

If they are right, their revenue shoots through the roof. Of course they just might be wrong and if they are, millions of consumers who could care less about ESPN will be saving 10% of the avg monthly bill.

Now people will say what about XYZ Network or GHI Network... I don't want to pay for them!

There is something to that arguement, but there is a big difference. no other channel costs the kind of money that ESPN does.

Now add all the other costs for regional sports networks.

My contention is simply this. The costs associated with sports programming have reached a level that they should be treated like premium movie channels, put them in a package and let subscribers decide.

Now many here are aware of how I feel about sports. I have no use for them.

There was a time when that wasn't true.

I have watched professional sports in this country become so expensive that "Dad" can't take the kids to a baseball game anymore. Same for all the rest of the sports. It has become an entertainment only for the well to do and corporations.

Professional Sports has forgotten who made them what they are and they do not care.

College sports aren't much better.. ask any student on a college campus what the odds are that he can get a ticket to a football game. Nearly 30 years ago I was dating a young lady who, along with her parents were University of Georgia alumni. I was invited to go to the football games with them.

I discovered that the very good tickets that they had for the games were the result of $30,000 in "donations" made to the "atheltic fund" over and above the costs of the tickets.

A certain number of tickets were set aside for the students. The students participated in a "lottery" for the chance to get a ticket. There were nowhere near enough tickets for the students.

So I don't care much for sports, for me they have turned into financial behemoths in place for the wealthy elite... the hell with the rest of us.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

The majority of those people on the credits of movies and TV shows are below the line and do not make alot of money. They are usually by the hour with a 8 or 10 hour minimum and under union contract. The above the line people who do make the money are the producers and the studios and sometimes the directors and writers, although they have contracts too.

The reason for the rate hikes continues to be outlets like ESPN who pay out these extremely high prices for NFL and the corporate exex who get millions just to sit (or avoid) their offices.

I Understand that most of those folks one the credits aren't the ones pulling down the millions, but when you combine all those folks with the big shots you're still talking a LOT of money. Yes ESPN costs a lot but IMHO it's also many of the other sources of programming that drive up the cost. Why not tell Charlie Sheen they won't pay $1.85M and if he walks fine, I'm sure there's plenty of others that would be happy to work for only $100K per episode to help reduce retrans costs.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

I Understand that most of those folks one the credits aren't the ones pulling down the millions, but when you combine all those folks with the big shots you're still talking a LOT of money. Yes ESPN costs a lot but IMHO it's also many of the other sources of programming that drive up the cost. Why not tell Charlie Sheen they won't pay $1.85M and if he walks fine, I'm sure there's plenty of others that would be happy to work for only $100K per episode to help reduce retrans costs.

Charlie Sheen's salary has no effect on our programming costs. It does directly affect the cost of advertising during that half hour of programming somewhat, but the truth here is very complex. Sheen's show has more than enough episodes to qualify it as an "A" list syndication property. The show is literally worth hundreds of millions of dollars in syndication. Charlie's salary while ridiculous simply represents that his show is so popular and approaching 200 episodes its value in sindication is astronomical. If the actual numbers were available for us to look at, his salary is inconsequential.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

ESPN & Disney deserve to get all that money since they were 2 of the top 3 networks of 2010.

Top rated cable networks of 2010:
USA 3.15 4%
Disney 2.57 +2%
ESPN 2.34 +2%
TNT 2.25 0
Fox News 2.05 7%
TBS 1.79 3%
Nick at Nite 1.72 1%
History 1.64 +34%
A&E 1.46 -1%
ABC Family 1.42 +4%

http://www.usatoday....year23_ST_N.htm
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Charlie Sheen's salary has no effect on our programming costs. It does directly affect the cost of advertising during that half hour of programming somewhat, but the truth here is very complex. Sheen's show has more than enough episodes to qualify it as an "A" list syndication property. The show is literally worth hundreds of millions of dollars in syndication. Charlie's salary while ridiculous simply represents that his show is so popular and approaching 200 episodes its value in sindication is astronomical. If the actual numbers were available for us to look at, his salary is inconsequential.

Sure it does...

Every time a CBS affiliate negotiates for retransmission rights and every time those episodes get sold into syndication to a cable/satellite channel that then counts that as part of their needed revenue the next year.

Everything affects everything.

#16 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,227 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

ESPN would save itself even more money if it didn't have to constantly pay out all those sexual harassment lawsuits against its employees.

!rolling

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#17 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

ESPN & Disney deserve to get all that money since they were 2 of the top 3 networks of 2010.

Top rated cable networks of 2010:
USA 3.15 4%
Disney 2.57 +2%
ESPN 2.34 +2%
TNT 2.25 0
Fox News 2.05 7%
TBS 1.79 3%
Nick at Nite 1.72 1%
History 1.64 +34%
A&E 1.46 -1%
ABC Family 1.42 +4%

http://www.usatoday....year23_ST_N.htm

OK, I am willing to pay Disney & ESPN exactly the same amount as I pay for the #1 network USA. I believe that is around $.40
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

OK, I am willing to pay Disney & ESPN exactly the same amount as I pay for the #1 network USA. I believe that is around $.40

That al a carte argument doesn't add up. You won't pay $0.40 for a channel. Here's a reason I gave before:

People who want a la carte use that chart to show how cheap channels should cost us. They'll say, "See...BBCA should only cost us $0.12." They fail to realize that a la carte wouldn't make a lot of stations any money. At $0.12/sub, Directv pays about $2.1 million & overall BBCA gets about $8.2 million from all providers. BBCA highest rated show ever had 1.7 million viewers & that's over all providers. So, if only 1.7 million will watch BBCA's highest show, then it's safe to assume 2 million will add it al a carte...and that's being generous. At $0.12/sub for 2 million people, that earns BBCA a whopping $240,000 from all providers combined. Bye-bye BBCA! For BBCA to earn the $8.2 million they get now, the price for little ol' BBCA would be about $4.10 per month. Now, imagine how much actual popular stations would cost...

http://www.dbstalk.c...544#post2669544
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

It does when the networks pay a license fee for each episode to the studio that produces it. Up the star's fee, then the license fee goes up. Then the advertiser rates as well as the networks asking for much higher fees from DirecTV, DISH and all the others.

#20 OFFLINE   Kev

Kev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

They pay whatever the traffic will bear. The fact is that the NFL is watched by millions and millions of viewers every week and those viewers are willing to pay the prices for seeing it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...