Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EchoStar Acquires Move Networks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

This is an Echostar news release:

EchoStar Acquires Assets of Move Networks, Leader in Adaptive Streaming for Over-the-Top Video Solutions

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and AMERICAN FORK, Utah, Jan. 6, 2011 — EchoStar Advanced Technologies L.L.C., a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq: SATS), announced today that it has acquired assets of Utah-based Move Networks, the technology innovator delivering advanced solutions for large scale streaming of quality video on the Internet.

"We're pleased to bring aboard the talents and proficiencies in adaptive streaming and IPTV from Move Networks which will enable us to expand our portfolio of advanced television technologies serving cable, satellite, telcos and IPTV video providers," said Mike Dugan, president and CEO of EchoStar Corporation.

"TV providers are increasingly demanding the highest quality video delivery over normal Internet connections, and Move Network's patent portfolio and proven customer experience allow us to give clients the core technology necessary to stream live and video-on-demand content," said Roger Lynch, executive vice president of EchoStar Advanced Technologies L.L.C.

"We're excited to join forces with EchoStar, a pioneer in the field of advanced television technologies," said Drew Major, the inventor of adaptive streaming and founder of Move Networks. "We first introduced our products in 2006 and quickly proved that adaptive streaming was the breakthrough invention that proved primetime television programming and professional long form video can be reliably delivered over the Internet at the high resolution quality that is intended. We look forward to the joint efforts of Move and EchoStar engineers in furthering technology innovation in online video delivery worldwide."

Move Network has a global resume of customers who are service providers and content owners in the United States, Germany, Latin America, and the Middle East.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

About Move Networks

Move Networks is a technology innovator delivering advanced solutions for large scale streaming of quality video on the Internet. Move's adaptive streaming technology delivers high quality long form video on "best effort" unmanaged Internet Protocol networks, and continues to be the performance leader and end-to-end solutions provider for both Internet television and multi-screen video initiatives by content providers, network service providers and video programmers. Move Networks customers are premium publishers, broadcasters and service providers globally.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Advanced Technologies L.L.C., is a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq: SATS), which provides equipment sales, digital broadcast operations, and satellite services that enhance today's digital TV lifestyle, including products from Sling Media, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary. Headquartered in Englewood, Colo., EchoStar has more than 25 years of experience designing, developing and distributing award-winning television set-top boxes and related products for pay television providers and is creating hardware and service solutions for cable, telco, IPTV and satellite TV companies. EchoStar includes a network of 10 digital broadcast centers and leased fiber optic capacity. EchoStar also delivers satellite services through 10 satellites and related FCC licenses. Visit www.echostar.com.

SOURCE EchoStar Corporation

News Provided by Acquire Media

There's an interesting story headlined The Fall of Move Networks which outlines the nature of the technology they developed. It's possible that some of this technology might find its way onto Dish boxes.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Interesting is that a lot of Directv top managers now are ruling Move.

And... Not that promising ending of that article:

But Move’s days as a competitor against Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight are over. It might continue to support existing media customers — at least, for as long as they want to stick with the Move player — but it probably won’t be out fighting for that business.

Perhaps it was low hanging fruit for E* ?

#3 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

They didn't buy Move for growth, they bought Move for the technology. This will be baked in to some future streaming product. In the meantime they will milk the revenue that they can for as long as they can.

#4 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

the VIP receivers can already be used with IPTV service; I suppose the use of Move's technology would allow them to sell their IPTV service to providers whose networks have a lower bandwidth capacity than what is now required? Or just let them free up bandwidth on the existing network. Am I understanding the technology correctly? It looks like their encoding allows more flexibility for traffic hiccups.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

the VIP receivers can already be used with IPTV service; I suppose the use of Move's technology would allow them to sell their IPTV service to providers whose networks have a lower bandwidth capacity than what is now required? Or just let them free up bandwidth on the existing network. Am I understanding the technology correctly? It looks like their encoding allows more flexibility for traffic hiccups.

Not in that full strength - limited IPTV processing happening for FVOD (night VOD downloads).

#6 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Not in that full strength - limited IPTV processing happening for FVOD (night VOD downloads).

no, they work for IPTV.

http://www.echostarviptv.com/

the 'IP' in the 'VIP' series receivers is there for a reason.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

Actually it is "ViP" not "VIP" and I don't see what and how DVR/receiver participating. Perhaps after IP to QAM or 8PSK conversion ?

#8 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Actually it is "ViP" not "VIP" and I don't see what and how DVR/receiver participating. Perhaps after IP to QAM or 8PSK conversion ?

they use the VIP series receivers for the IPTV service. there is no conversion to QAM, etc.. . , outside the receiver. It uses the ethernet connection of the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

they use the VIP series receivers for the IPTV service. there is no conversion to QAM, etc.. . , outside the receiver. It uses the ethernet connection of the receiver.

I'm guess that Xnnn version of FW are dedicated to such receivers. Can you acknowledge that ? Have you see what FW version it running ?

#10 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm guess that Xnnn version of FW are dedicated to such receivers. Can you acknowledge that ? Have you see what FW version it running ?

no i haven't.

spam firewall