Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HMC30 details from CES

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

Here’s what I learned about the HMC30 (which I played with hands-on) at CES today from questioning a DirecTV product manager (not a clueless show temp but someone involved in the development). I was just a walk-up and there was no suggestion any of this was confidential – I wouldn’t post it if they had said it was. I think most of this is known (it certainly is by those beta testing but they have been under NDA) or has been speculated on already…

* 5 tuners
* Integrated PIP functionality – you’ll be able to watch two shows on the screen at the same time
* 1 terabyte drive included
* Software at launch will still limit season passes to 50 but they have plans to expand that in a later release – they only plan to expand it for the HMC30, not any of the existing HR2x boxes. He said it takes up a lot of background processing so it only makes sense for this box which has a faster processor.
* At launch software will, like current boxes, treat external HD’s as a replacement for the internal drive rather than an extension. However, for the HMC30 only they plan a software revision that will handle external HD’s as an expansion drive that doesn’t override the internal drive. This will be a big improvement.
* It is compatible with MRV so even though the theory is it acts as a “server” for multiple rooms you can still pair it with other DVR’s if you want.
* RVU-compatible, so it can work remotely with box-free TV's that have RVU, which is currently only a subset of the 2011 Samsung LED line. For everyone else they have small boxes that work with the HMC30 to use remotely with your TV’s.
* Remote is unchanged. UI is unchanged. Look of the receiver is similar to current HR24, but not exactly (it seemed thicker but I didn't study it closely or measure -- I did take a pick on my phone).
* Launching “first half” of this year.

(In another note, the PM said there definitely is no plans to add undelete/delete recovery feature like on the TiVo and some other brands. He said it has been internally debated a few times and settled as a no at least for the time being.)

I am only passing on what I was told (or saw). I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the info, though it was clearly a knowledgeable DirecTV employee.

Edited by Citivas, 08 January 2011 - 04:49 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

Mostly what has been previously reported/rumored. However, I don't think it is still being called (or will be called) the HMC30.

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Seem like they took the took the old software base from the HR2X boxes and ported it to this.

Now is there hardware limit on the old boxes where they can't use E-sata as extension?

The season passes limit of 50 may be a cpu / ram limit on the older boxes.

Will there be a server box with out any local TV out so it will not be a waste if put a in area where all the cables come in but there is no tv there?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

* Integrated PIP functionality – you’ll be able to watch two shows on the screen at the same time
* Remote is unchanged.

Its about time. But wouldn't it need a new remote control with PIP buttons on it? Otherwise, how would you bring up the PIP screen? Unless they're going to use the color buttons.

If possible, can you please post some pictures of the PIP screens, and find out what button(s) you press to activate the PIP screens?

Thanks

EDIT: Can you also find out how many shows you can stream at once. I'm hoping its more then one.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 08 January 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Its about time. But wouldn't it need a new remote control with PIP buttons on it? Otherwise, how would you bring up the PIP screen? Unless they're going to use the color buttons.

If possible, can you please post some pictures of the PIP screens, and find out what button(s) you press to activate the PIP screens?

Thanks

PIP will be controlled with the yellow button. Closed caption options are moving back to the menu.

(j/k)

#6 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

PIP will be controlled with the yellow button. Closed caption options are moving back to the menu.

(j/k)

I'm thinking it may be added to the yellow button screen. The other three are already taken, unless they make changes to them.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I'm thinking it may be added to the yellow button screen. The other three are already taken, unless they make changes to them.

Then again.....its not even an HMC30 anymore. :D

In addition...I wouldn't buy too many lottery tickets based on all the the functional content in Post #1 either, in terms of the actual production version and model number.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

I am disappointed about no undelete being added in the future. :crying_sa

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Here’s what I learned about the HMC30 (which I played with hands-on) at CES today from questioning a DirecTV product manager ...

Thanks for the great reporting Citivas!

Good investigative job on the ground.

It's sounds like a great box. >2 tuners, PIP, 1TB, MRV. Can't wait!
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the great reporting Citivas!

Good investigative job on the ground.

It's sounds like a great box. >2 tuners, PIP, 1TB, MRV. Can't wait!

Five tuners. And I agree, I want one! I held off on the HR24 after getting the scoop on this a few months ago and I only have one receiver. Don't need MRV but more tuners and PIP make it a must have for me.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#11 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am hoping this is real but I'm not holding my breath. We were told all this 3 or 4 years ago at CES or am I the only one that remembers....
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#12 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

I am disappointed about no undelete being added in the future. :crying_sa

Me too. He said there were "two camps" in the development team. Those against it believe that it isn't that useful because of the prompting before delete and that the implementation would take away drive space. I didn't really follow why it had to do that versus just flagging deleted programs and letting them be written over as necessary but converted to undelete if still available at the time, as in PC disc recovery apps, but I didn't press the point or get into a detailed discussion. Perhaps the way they handle disc use makes this less striaght forward, I have no idea. I did show him how menu lag and double tap on red could cause the incorrect show to be deleted above or below the intended one and he seemed ot appreciate that.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

I am hoping this is real but I'm not holding my breath. We were told all this 3 or 4 years ago at CES or am I the only one that remembers....

The third time's a charm (or not).

The HMC30 turned out to be largely a proof of concept of DECA and WHDS.

Hopefully this unit will be more than a proof of concept of RVU. The software baseline doesn't sound promising.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have no idea what it will be called at launch. I only labeled it the HMC30 here because that's what the Entropic rep and the DirecTV product manager were referring to it as when we were looking at it and talking about it on the floor.

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

I have no idea what it will be called at launch. I only labeled it the HMC30 here because that's what the Entropic rep and the DirecTV product manager were referring to it as when we were looking at it and talking about it on the floor.

Did the DTV Rep have an accent? Just curious if I know who it was.. :)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

The software baseline doesn't sound promising.

Why? First hand experience with it?
Or are you just predicting the worse for the heck of it?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks

EDIT: Can you also find out how many shows you can stream at once. I'm hoping its more then one.

I didn't get any pictures of the PIP screens or the UI. When I reported that it will be the same UI this is based on what they said when I asked. I took a picture of the physical box. It's on my phone and I am on the road -- I'll upload it when I can. The UI they were showing at the booth (which was for Entropic not DirecTV -- thogh DirecTV had people there) was for Verizon. The remote they were using looked the same but I didn't ask how PIP would be controlled. It sounds like others have more first hand knowledge.

Again, I am only reporting what they said so what actually comes out may be different. But they said PIP at launch, the larger season passes cap and expandable HD later. (To answer someone else's question above, yes the current HR2x's treat external HD's as replacements for the internal, not expansions. The DirecTV rep said they didn't plan to change that for the existing HR2x's.)

#18 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Did the DTV Rep have an accent? Just curious if I know who it was.. :)

Yes. And a nice guy from my time with him...

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Why? First hand experience with it?

I'm basing this on the report from the OP. That's why I say that it doesn't sound promising.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Yes. And a nice guy from my time with him...

You do realize, you may have just thrown the nice guy under the bus?
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall