Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seems I'm paralyzed...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,252 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

...by the speed at which technology is advancing. I mean, the rate of progress is increasing faster than (not then) I can keep up, er, decide, uh, buy.

Signed up for Netflix streaming to replace four premium movie packages, but first I 'tested streaming movies to my laptop. I had planned to get the Roku box for my main tv, but by then I learned about built-in tv apps coming so I decided to wait. Now, I've just heard that this year new tvs would have a big red Netflix button on the remote so, again, I decide to wait.

Meanwhile, I'm relegated to watching the same four crap premium HD movie channels on Comcast cable, while waiting for the next Netflix, or magic golden streaming, or whatever, improvement.

He who hesitates is... :whatdidid

EDIT 1/10/11: Someone here who knows me and is aware of my recent medical history (mild stroke in '05 ) has gently chided me for using the word "paralyzed" in the title of this thread. Fact is, I'm fine, and am doing pretty damn good for an old man who walks with a limp and types with one hand. For anyone who 'knows' me and may have had a moment of concern about my condition before opening the thread, I humbly apologize.

Edited by Nick, 10 January 2011 - 09:57 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,545 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

That's the thing about Netflix... I've tried to specifically search for dozens of movies that they don't have available for streaming.

They do have a large library available for online viewing... but if you target specific movie titles, you might be disappointed.

A bunch of movies I was going to recommend my father watch, I searched for and found them unavailable... though in the meantime he has found a bunch of movies that he has enjoyed watching through random or genre searches.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'm curious why you would wait just to have a Netflix button on a remote? It's just usually 2-3 button presses to get Netflix loaded depending on the device.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

One thing about it, no one option is for everyone. But I understand as I constantly am thinking there's something better for me out there.

I've explored all options and decided the best I can do from our perspective is the core package I subscribe to with Dish (it could be any provider appropriate for you, Dish just works for me) and the premiums they offer. It's a bit spendy.

But either I'm going to go to the movie when it comes out because it is so important to my existence (that's less than one a year) or wait until it's on a premium. I don't want to deal with carting or mailing DVD's back and forth or struggling through the various lists of movies to stream or finally getting "it" a couple of months before its on HBO.

Nor do I want to wait until next year to see the U.S. version of "Shameless" or "Boardwalk Empire" or other award winning series because I might be dead next year.

For me, the network web sites and HULU offer streaming opportunities when for whatever reason my recording screws up. That's what streaming offers me.

So the big red Netflix button has not entered into my decision making.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

...by the speed at which technology is advancing. I mean, the rate of progress is increasing faster than (not then) I can keep up, er, decide, uh, buy.

Signed up for Netflix streaming to replace four premium movie packages, but first I 'tested streaming movies to my laptop. I had planned to get the Roku box for my main tv, but by then I learned about built-in tv apps coming so I decided to wait. Now, I've just heard that this year new tvs would have a big red Netflix button on the remote so, again, I decide to wait.

Meanwhile, I'm relegated to watching the same crap premium movie channels on Comcast cable, while waiting for the next Netflix, or magic golden streaming, or whatever, improvement.

He who hesitates is... :whatdidid

Nick, I've tried the Rokus, various BD players and the best of the bunch is the BD65 from Panasonic. It plays all formats of NetFlix streaming content, including the old 4:3 shows (it's the only device that I've found that plays them as they were meant to be viewed), upscales all content to 1080/60p and is easy to use. I also have a Samsung sound system/BD player that upscales wide screen content (both streaming and DVD) better than the Panny BD65 does. But, for all around good PQ and proper aspects, the BD65 is the best. And it's about the same price as a Roku. Here's a link.

Just checked the price and they have bumped it up to $139. I only paid $103 before Xmas. BB has it for $119.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Nick, I've tried the Rokus, various BD players and the best of the bunch is the BD65 from Panasonic. It plays all formats of NetFlix streaming content, including the old 4:3 shows (it's the only device that I've found that plays them as they were meant to be viewed), upscales all content to 1080/60p and is easy to use. I also have a Samsung sound system/BD player that upscales wide screen content (both streaming and DVD) better than the Panny BD65 does. But, for all around good PQ and proper aspects, the BD65 is the best. And it's about the same price as a Roku. Here's a link.

Just checked the price and they have bumped it up to $139. I only paid $103 before Xmas. BB has it for $119.

Rich

How well does your Samsung BD player work with Netflix? I have a C5500 and it has had some issues but with the latest firmware it handles Netflix quite well. For streaming videos from a computer it simetimes hiccups on MKV files and occasionally can't deal with AR correctly, but it does better than my Directv DVRs (which isn't saying much).

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

How well does your Samsung BD player work with Netflix? I have a C5500 and it has had some issues but with the latest firmware it handles Netflix quite well. For streaming videos from a computer it simetimes hiccups on MKV files and occasionally can't deal with AR correctly, but it does better than my Directv DVRs (which isn't saying much).

My Sammy sound system/BD player is an HT-C5500. I guess that means Home Theater (HT) with a C5500 BD player. So we've got the same BD players. I don't use my computers to stream video content, so I can't comment on that.

For NetFlix wide screen streaming content it gives a slightly better upscaled picture than the BD65, but when watching an older show, like the first few seasons of L&O SVU, the Sammy doesn't get the aspect (4:3) right, but the BD65 does. I've ended up with one of my BD65s sitting on top of the HT-C5500 for that reason.

I only bought the Sammy sound system/BD player because the sound system on my Panny plasma was driving me nuts and my wife didn't want a really big sound system in the master bedroom that would cause the whole house to shake like my three other sound systems do. Little did I know that the Sammy puts out 165W per channel on 3 ohm speakers and has a passive sub-woofer that actually works. It shakes the house too. :lol:

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

There are so many ways to view netflix these days that there's really no reason to hold off for a Netflix button or TV with built in Netflix App.

Plug a desktop PC into your HDTV, you have a netflix player, plug a laptop into your HDTV, you have a netflix player, buy a used PS3/360/Wii, you have a netflix player, buy a cheap BD player, you have a netflix player, stream Netflix from your PC to your DVR with Playon, etc.

Looking at my entertainment center, I have at least 5 different ways to watch Netflix. Pity the service isn't worth subscribing to.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

There are so many ways to view netflix these days that there's really no reason to hold off for a Netflix button or TV with built in Netflix App.

Plug an old PC into your TV, you have a netflix player, buy a used PS3/360/Wii, you have a netflix player, buy a cheap BD player, you have a netflix player, stream Netflix from your PC to your DVR with Playon, etc.

Looking at my entertainment center, I have at least 5 different ways to watch Netflix. Pity the service isn't worth subscribing to.

Read your whole post and agreed with everything you said except for the comment: Pity the service isn't worth subscribing to.

Gotta disagree with you there. We have two NF accounts and many ways to stream NF and we all watch as much NF content as we do D* content. What don't you like about it?

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Is it still cut off Netflix streaming after FW updating to v1.43 ?

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

Plug a desktop PC into your HDTV, you have a netflix player, plug a laptop into your HDTV, you have a netflix player, buy a used PS3/360/Wii, you have a netflix player, buy a cheap BD player, you have a netflix player, stream Netflix from your PC to your DVR with Playon, etc.

I disagree with that statment as well. The Netflix Starz Play was just one of the reasons we subscribed to Netflix. That one feature alone makes Netflix cost effective for us. For anyone that rents movies (and wants actual Blue Ray quality) I just don't know of a better option...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Without giving it one moment of research, are the Netflix movies in HD?

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Some are.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Read your whole post and agreed with everything you said except for the comment: Pity the service isn't worth subscribing to.

Gotta disagree with you there. We have two NF accounts and many ways to stream NF and we all watch as much NF content as we do D* content. What don't you like about it?

Rich

Eh, it's an opinion.

I've subscribed to Netflix on and off over the years, and the added cost of Blu-Ray, and lack of movies that interest me on their streaming service has made me look for alternative sources for renting movies.

Red Box, Blockbuster Online, etc have all given me better value for my money than Netflix has, not to mention in some cases, getting the movies much sooner.

I'd probably be a lot more interested if I didn't subscribe to D* and Comcast (for locals in HD) or watch Hulu, making all the TV shows they have for streaming meaningful.

#15 OFFLINE   Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

I disagree with that statment as well. The Netflix Starz Play was just one of the reasons we subscribed to Netflix. That one feature alone makes Netflix cost effective for us. For anyone that rents movies (and wants actual Blue Ray quality) I just don't know of a better option...

Blu-Ray quality streaming over the internet? Or do you mean renting Blu-Rays?

I like Blockbuster Online for renting BDs, no increased price for renting BDs, and don't have to wait a month for new releases, and the turn around time is only one day longer than Netflix (no service is gonna be perfect), and they also offer game rentals as part of the plan (no streaming service, but going by Netflix selection, meh, I don't miss it).

Plus I don't rent a lot of movies usually, I have cable/satellite which most of the year provides more than enough content.

Note: My opinion of Netflix will change once they have 95%+ new releases on their streaming service, in true BD quality (ok maybe the true BD quality is pushing it, I don't really care THAT much about HD, but I do want most new movies to be on the service before I resubscribe to it).

#16 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Blu-Ray quality streaming over the internet? Or do you mean renting Blu-Rays?

I like Blockbuster Online for renting BDs, no increased price for renting BDs, and don't have to wait a month for new releases, and the turn around time is only one day longer than Netflix (no service is gonna be perfect), and they also offer game rentals as part of the plan (no streaming service, but going by Netflix selection, meh, I don't miss it).

Plus I don't rent a lot of movies usually, I have cable/satellite which most of the year provides more than enough content.

Note: My opinion of Netflix will change once they have 95%+ new releases on their streaming service, in true BD quality (ok maybe the true BD quality is pushing it, I don't really care THAT much about HD, but I do want most new movies to be on the service before I resubscribe to it).

I was referring to renting in regards to the Blue Ray discs. The difference is probably the fact that you don't rent a lot of movies then. We have the one out at a time plan with Netflix and we can easily get 2 movies a week (sometimes more.) Our turn-around time has always been a day (probably a perk of living in a big city) and the streaming is enough for us (as I said the Starz Play eliminates the need for us to subscribe to Starz.)

With the bit rates required you're not going to see anybody stream BD for a LONG time. Since Netflix can stream in HD I find that sufficient as a streaming option.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

My Sammy sound system/BD player is an HT-C5500. I guess that means Home Theater (HT) with a C5500 BD player. So we've got the same BD players. I don't use my computers to stream video content, so I can't comment on that.

For NetFlix wide screen streaming content it gives a slightly better upscaled picture than the BD65, but when watching an older show, like the first few seasons of L&O SVU, the Sammy doesn't get the aspect (4:3) right, but the BD65 does. I've ended up with one of my BD65s sitting on top of the HT-C5500 for that reason.

I only bought the Sammy sound system/BD player because the sound system on my Panny plasma was driving me nuts and my wife didn't want a really big sound system in the master bedroom that would cause the whole house to shake like my three other sound systems do. Little did I know that the Sammy puts out 165W per channel on 3 ohm speakers and has a passive sub-woofer that actually works. It shakes the house too. :lol:

Rich

What firmware version does your Sammy have? The recent update to 1020.1 fixed the aspect ratio issues with 4:3 (I also found that the original setup I had was set to stretch 4:3, but it only did that with some movies, not all :confused:). If you have an earlier version, get the update.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Is it still cut off Netflix streaming after FW updating to v1.43 ?

Are you talking about the Panny BD65? That only lasted a day or so. They released an FW that wouldn't connect to NF, but quickly fixed it.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

If you're renting disks, most of the new and many of the older movies are in BluRay. If you're streaming, only the PS3 gets full HD and 5.1 sound. The rest of the devices, as far as I know, get 720p and PCM sound. That's gonna change soon and they'll be streaming 1080/24p and 5.1 sound to all the devices. The BD players upscale the 720p to 1080/60p very well. Still only PCM sound, tho. Some of the streaming movies are in 720p, some aren't. My Sammy BD player upscales the letterbox non HD content very well, the Pannys don't.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

Eh, it's an opinion.

I've subscribed to Netflix on and off over the years, and the added cost of Blu-Ray, and lack of movies that interest me on their streaming service has made me look for alternative sources for renting movies.

Red Box, Blockbuster Online, etc have all given me better value for my money than Netflix has, not to mention in some cases, getting the movies much sooner.

I'd probably be a lot more interested if I didn't subscribe to D* and Comcast (for locals in HD) or watch Hulu, making all the TV shows they have for streaming meaningful.

There is a lot more streaming content than there was just a couple months ago.

Rich

spam firewall