Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Onsite Day 3 CES report

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

CES 2011 Roundup – Saturday January 8, 2011

Day Three on-site at CES…still tons to see.

It was also the last day here for a number of us DBSTalkers – hard to believe that 3 days is not enough to see everything, but that’s the sad fact – thousands of exhibits and thousands of gadgets and new technology to “inspect’ and admire.

Several of us made 2nd visits to a few places…along with new locations.
What is clear is that with over 200 photos, tons of printed material, and loads of information…getting a report done today with substance will be impossible.

Therefore…we’ll have to do more specific reports when we get back. Not to worry…we say plenty and have info and photos to share.

A few closing observations today – 3D HD products were present at a rate 2-3 times what they were last year….nothing close to dead…still growing. There were 3D laptops, non-glasses 3D HD….etc. There were also tons of networked (wired and wireless) and mobile applications. A few photos below.

Tonight – RichieRich and I got the chance to take a cab ride over to see a favorite comedian in action on stage at the Monte Carlo Theater – Frank Caliendo. Yes…he’s the same guy who does all the celebrity impressions on Fox NFL Sunday. This was a great way to end CES this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• 010811 LG Streaming HD.jpg
  • 010811 LG WIFI Transfe.jpg
  • 010811 Mobile 3D.jpg
  • 010811 Toshiba laptop 3D.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the cool info. Looking forward to the other pics too. Win a jackpot tonight!

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

CES 2011 Roundup – Saturday January 8, 2011

Day Three on-site at CES…still tons to see.

It was also the last day here for a number of us DBSTalkers – hard to believe that 3 days is not enough to see everything, but that’s the sad fact – thousands of exhibits and thousands of gadgets and new technology to “inspect’ and admire.

Several of us made 2nd visits to a few places…along with new locations.
What is clear is that with over 200 photos, tons of printed material, and loads of information…getting a report done today with substance will be impossible.

Therefore…we’ll have to do more specific reports when we get back. Not to worry…we say plenty and have info and photos to share.

A few closing observations today – 3D HD products were present at a rate 2-3 times what they were last year….nothing close to dead…still growing. There were 3D laptops, non-glasses 3D HD….etc. There were also tons of networked (wired and wireless) and mobile applications. A few photos below.

Tonight – RichieRich and I got the chance to take a cab ride over to see a favorite comedian in action on stage at the Monte Carlo Theater – Frank Caliendo. Yes…he’s the same guy who does all the celebrity impressions on Fox NFL Sunday. This was a great way to end CES this year.

I don't want to have put glass on to have use a 3D laptop.

and if you get a chance go to the MGM and play Sigma Derby.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Were there any Segways on the floor? Could they be rented?

Inquiring because of my diabetes, I'm limited to the amount of walking I can do.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Were there any Segways on the floor? Could they be rented?

Inquiring because of my diabetes, I'm limited to the amount of walking I can do.

Saw a few...security mostly.

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Not exactly a Segway, but how about this 2-seat commuter concept for highly congested cities?

Posted Image
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Not exactly a Segway, but how about this 2-seat commuter concept for highly congested cities?

Oops....mistook that for a Jetson's Port-a-Potty....now you tell me....

#8 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

I watched just a tiny bit of Leo Laporte's CES coverage and caught him getting a demo of that beauty.

It is, in part, a Segway because they either licensed technology from them or it was a joint venture. I don't remember which.

- LoopinFool

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

I watched just a tiny bit of Leo Laporte's CES coverage and caught him getting a demo of that beauty.

It is, in part, a Segway because they either licensed technology from them or it was a joint venture. I don't remember which.

- LoopinFool

Always liked Leo - he makes tech fun.

This would have seemed right up his alley (pun intended). :D

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

It's an interesting concept but I wonder about safety issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

It's an interesting concept but I wonder about safety issues.

For sure...certain any kind of 20 MPH or higher accident situation would not end up pretty.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Boring.

Been reading for days now, and not one item has my mouth watering. Maybe it's my age, but nothing got me excited. It appeared this years CES was all about slight improvements in existing gadgetry. Yeah some of these improvements sound good, but they didn't satisfy my need to see something NEW!
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Boring.

Been reading for days now, and not one item has my mouth watering. Maybe it's my age, but nothing got me excited. It appeared this years CES was all about slight improvements in existing gadgetry. Yeah some of these improvements sound good, but they didn't satisfy my need to see something NEW!

If one was there in person, one might have a different view. ;)

My 4 reports were only a single attendee's view...there were others. Not sure what everyone will be sharing...but between the 30+ photos and information I submitted...kinda figured some people might just have some interest.

Many attendees left for home quite pumped on all sorts of topics. My only shortfall was that I didn't get to see everything on my list...likely even 1 more day still would have not solved that issue. :lol:

Different stuff floats different boats. :D

#14 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

The EKB report featuring Dish Network and Sling, along with a number of other things that caught my eye, is as complete as it's going to get.
http://www.dishuser.org/ces2011.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

The EKB report featuring Dish Network and Sling, along with a number of other things that caught my eye, is as complete as it's going to get.
http://www.dishuser.org/ces2011.php

We certainly saw 95% of that all too....but chose to only report on the DirecTV side of the house here... ;):)

We got a private demo tour in the Dish booth...took some photos too.

It's always interesting to learn and compare.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...