Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Playboy" Coming to an NBC station near you

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

(RTTNews) - NBC has ordered a pilot for "Playboy," a show that would be an hour long drama about the 1960s Playboy clubs in New York, according to New York magazine.

The show would center around a group of women that work as Playboy bunnies. It will also take an in-depth look at "America's mores and the coming sexual revolution," Variety reports.

http://www.rttnews.c...aspx?Id=1522248

NBC has ordered a subscription to "Playboy" -- but for the stories.

Peacock gave the drama script "Playboy" its first pilot greenlight of the season late Tuesday. The hour-long drama is set in the frisky world of 1960s Playboy clubs.

Chad Hodge ("Tru Calling") wrote the script, which focuses on a group of women working as Playboy bunnies in the New York club. "Playboy" will use that as a jumping-off point to explore the nation's changing mores and the coming sexual revolution.

Twentieth Century Fox TV and Imagine TV are behind the project; Imagine's Brian Grazer and Francie Calfo also exec produce, along with Hodge. Project was developed last year with a different writer.

"Playboy" comes as network execs find themselves drawn to the time period (in the wake of "Mad Men's" critical acclaim). Starz recently gave a 10-episode order to the 1960s Miami series "Magic City," while ABC is developing "Pan Am," centering on the airline's wild crew in the 1960s.

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118029795
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

Well, this could be interesting if they paid as close attention to details as the "Mad Men" production people do. But it's NBC where the ratings game requires viewers in the demo, so I'm not sure how my generation's take on risqué is going to appeal to the right audience. But it's NBC....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

My thoughts are that would be better suited for a FX or maybe a premium channel to air. I am suprised a local station would want to attempt it. I just read the other day that the History Channel did a documentary on JFK I think and decided not to air it as it does not fit what they normally air and now they are shopping it around for Showtime to air I think.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

My thoughts are that would be better suited for a FX or maybe a premium channel to air. I am suprised a local station would want to attempt it. I just read the other day that the History Channel did a documentary on JFK I think and decided not to air it as it does not fit what they normally air and now they are shopping it around for Showtime to air I think.

History Channel used to be a great channel, but they turned to reality programs. So I tuned out.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Ah, the Playboy Club years. Now those were the days. Still have my original key! :D

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Never got a metal key, just a plastic card, but I do still have the cufflinks.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Never got a metal key, just a plastic card, but I do still have the cufflinks.

When I first joined keys were issued. They were replaced with metal cards, then plastic. Like you I still have the cufflinks plus a tie bar, belt buckle and cocktail glasses. I've been to several clubs. My favorite was always the Manhatten Club. Was very impressive seeing the Playboy banner hanging off the side of the building. No problem getting a cab at that location. The doorman carried a lot of weight!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have to think this is NBC's answer to "Mad Men" but as with "Swingtown" a couple of years ago, I suspect that they really won't be able to do it justice because of the limitations on the content they show. Now, if they moved this to USA or another NBC-affiliated cable channel... perhaps.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...