Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Onsite CES Report: Wrap-up PART TWO

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

CES Report – Post-Show Wrap-up and additions

Toshiba (and other manufacturers) Glasses-free 3D HD (see photos) – as stated previously....3D was anything but dead at CES 2011. In fact the visibility of 3D-related products and technology was triple what was seen last year at CES.

What was new and expanded was not only the shear numbers of providers featuring 3D HD units and related content, but also 3D rolled out on new platforms (laptops, iPads, etc.), as well as delivery channels. (see photos)

The Toshiba booth featured glasses-free 3D HD demos on multiple screen sizes and also a laptop setup. What was key was the angle/position where you stood or would sit to the screen. This was only 1 of multiple technologies supporting glasses-free viewing.

The stated delivery was late 2011 or early 2012. I suspect there may be multiple forms of this technology, as well as price points based on screen size. We were told the costs would actually be closer to conventional HD, as the technology itself was lower than glasses-based hardware.

RVU Alliance Hardware - there were a number of manufacturers showing off RVU-based technologies at CES 2011. Since DirecTV is a member of this Alliance, seeing Samsung and others actually present demos with this platform standard was both interesting and promising. The concept of reducing and/or eliminating remote room hardware while delivering quality HDTV content is gaining in adoption. Look for more RVU-based HDTV's and related equipment later in 2011 and beyond.

Conclusion - It is always a great opportunity to attend CES, and having done it for 3 straight years...you can see progress on many technology fronts, as well as the introduction of new things all the time.

This year was particularly enjoyable, with more DBSTalkers onsite at CES than any time in recent years. Sharing time to meet DirecTV tech partners, as well as booth demos and discussions, as well as a DBSTalk dinner gathering made this one memorable for a long time. There are many more photos to go through...but having been on the other side of the fence in the past...I know some folks are anxious to see pix ASAP...so the 20-25 I shared in reports should satisfy those appetites a bit. It also gave me a chance to give my new Canon Powershot S95 a good "out in the field workout".

Thanks to my fellow onsite DBSTalk associates - I look forward to reading your content and reports as well. On a personal note - thanks to Doug Brott - DBSTalk Moderator, for his onsite guidance, wisdom, and friendship.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toshiba 3D HD Glasses Free 1.jpg
  • Toshiba 3D HD Glasses Free 2.jpg
  • Toshiba 3D HD Glasses Free 3.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

Interesting point of view on 3D. Of course what the manufacturers choose to show and what the public chooses to buy are two different things.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Interesting point of view on 3D. Of course what the manufacturers choose to show and what the public chooses to buy are two different things.

Absolutely.

With more than one approach shown at CES, and 3D HD overall in general still in "mainstream year 2" maturity...plenty can still change over the next year.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

In the end I can't help but wonder if the 3D technology will just be cheap enough that it gets put in the majority of TVs, whether or not people use it.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

In the end I can't help but wonder if the 3D technology will just be cheap enough that it gets put in the majority of TVs, whether or not people use it.

That's somewhat the same dialog heard at CES.

The answer to that question was heard to be both yes and maybe. ;)

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

Since this is my last wrapup post....

Start filling those piggy banks... ;)

I'll leave folks with this...see ya there...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012 Banner.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Noticed that they moved it a week further out next year. That's interesting.

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

We were told the costs would actually be closer to conventional HD, as the technology itself was lower than glasses-based hardware.

Can you give specifics on the bolded text?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Noticed that they moved it a week further out next year. That's interesting.

Indeed - likely due to the Hall scheduling somehow...there were mumblings out in the hallways about some road construction in the area at the end of this year...maybe they just wanted to play it safe.

Not really...just in general...the glasses-free technology would result in less manufacturing cost, and therefore likely less retail prices than current 3D HD...or so we were told.

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Comment on the Toshiba Glasses free 3D TV's.

When I asked about marketing dates, I was given a cryptic answer "Fiscal 2011".
I asked the Toshiba rep when does fiscal 2011 end, he said he didn't know.
I then asked the rep, since its Jan 2011 now, is it Toshiba's Fiscal 2010 or 2011?
He said they are still in Fiscal 2010.

Therefore, that means Calendar 2012 for seeing these in the market.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

I then asked the rep, since its Jan 2011 now, is it Toshiba's Fiscal 2010 or 2011?

2012 is correct.

#12 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

Not really...just in general...the glasses-free technology would result in less manufacturing cost, and therefore likely less retail prices than current 3D HD...or so we were told.

Thanks to both of you.

Is Toshiba once again alone on an island, i.e.- HD-DVD, or did another CE company demo glasses-free technology at CES?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks to both of you.

Is Toshiba once again alone on an island, i.e.- HD-DVD, or did another CE company demo glasses-free technology at CES?

Not this time...saw 3 different "solutions" for glasses free from 3 different companies...

#14 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Again, thanks.

I have to admit that I didn't keep up with CES that much this time around.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

Again, thanks.

I have to admit that I didn't keep up with CES that much this time around.

Not to worry...we were THERE....and it was a challenge to keep up with everything... :D:lol:

Glad you enjoyed the reports and photos. We try.

#16 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Sony did display PROTOTYPES (marked big and bold) of 24" Glasses Free 3D TV.
They were OLED displays. Very expensive technology.

Looked good, bright colors, good 3D but they were in a blackened display area where you looked in from about 8 feet away.

No dates to production known and if you follow OLED technology it's quite expensive.

#17 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Sony also showed two other glasses free displays, one 40ish inches, the other 50ish inches. The larger was using a 4K source, and looked pretty incredible, as far as the depth goes. These two displays were in two rooms that said future 3d and were next to a third room that the SXRD front projector was in.

#18 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Sony did display PROTOTYPES (marked big and bold) of 24" Glasses Free 3D TV.
They were OLED displays. Very expensive technology.

Interesting, especially in light of several articles earlier in the year proclaiming the technology "dead".

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

Interesting, especially in light of several articles earlier in the year proclaiming the technology "dead".

If one thing was clear about 3D....CEs showed everyone that the industry manufacturers think the exact opposite...its early, but in growth mode.

There were roughly 3 times the 3D HD presentations/products as last year at CES. Reports of 3D HD's demise have clearly been premature.

#20 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Just to clarify, I was referring to OLED's alleged demise, not 3D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...