Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Onsite CES Report: Wrap-up PART TWO

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

Just to clarify, I was referring to OLED's alleged demise, not 3D.

That's how I read it...

Others have claimed the doomsday sceanrio for 3D. If they would have attended CES this year, they would have been very disappointed. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

If one thing was clear about 3D....CEs showed everyone that the industry manufacturers think the exact opposite...its early, but in growth mode.

There were roughly 3 times the 3D HD presentations/products as last year at CES. Reports of 3D HD's demise have clearly been premature.

I am by no means a "Debbie Downer" on 3D, but I can't help but think the situation you describe is analogous to the scene is a hospital emergency room where the dying patient has just "coded" and support staff are rushing in to perform heroic procedures in a last-ditch effort to revive the patient.

When I first watched a monster movie in 3D as a kid in the '50s, I remember thinking then it that was just a novelty. Yes, we have come a long way with the technology and all, but my opinion has not changed all that much. 3D will continue to be a novelty and be relegated to just a niche product for years to come.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

I am by no means a "Debbie Downer" on 3D, but I can't help but think the situation you describe is analogous to the scene is a hospital emergency room where the dying patient has just "coded" and support staff are rushing in to perform heroic procedures in a last-ditch effort to revive the patient.

When I first watched a monster movie in 3D as a kid in the '50s, I remember thinking then it that was just a novelty. Yes, we have come a long way with the technology and all, but my opinion has not changed all that much. 3D will continue to be a novelty and be relegated to just a niche product for years to come.

I can certainly understand that view.

But having seen, discussed, and interacted with various manufacturers directly at CES...it was quite obvious the commitment is both solid and for the long haul. I suspect the numerous additions of new players this year alone demonstrated that a bandwagon was moving down the road.

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

I thought the same thing about minidiscs, as well as a dozen other technologies. Anyone remember how big "Playsforsure" was at CES about five years ago?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

I thought the same thing about minidiscs, as well as a dozen other technologies. Anyone remember how big "Playsforsure" was at CES about five years ago?

That's true for sure.

That said...

In looking at the shear $$$ invested in 3D, as well as the very large number of adopter manufacturers, as well as content providers growing to support it...it appears to have some "sticking power". Content will be a key element, and the manufacturers are even partially subsidizing that expansion.

Also, 3D enabled HDTVs may start to normalize in terms of price a bit better over 2011.

While its all been out for a while, at CES...this is yearly "year two" of the mainstream rollout of 3D - still early. Many manufacturers at CES this year almost "matter of factly" showed off a growing arsenal of hardware - not only 3D HDTV's - but also laptops, portables, and other devices. Glasses free also hit for the first tangible beta units there.

With HDTV taking almost 7 years to hit critical mass for "mainstream" adoption...3D is still a bit early to judge in terms of lasting success. Based on CES 2011 and other reports read - a year from now, we should know if the momentum continues or has peaked IMHO.

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

You make good points. For those who want it, I truly hope 3D succeeds. One day, I may buy a new tv that (incidentally) comes with 3D display capability built-in. Whether I will ever use it remains to be seen. If 3D becomes mainstream, so be it. I just hope it doesn't add to the cost of HD displays for the majority of us who don't necessarily want it.

Good luck, Mr. Gorsky! :P

Edited by Nick, 12 January 2011 - 08:57 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

For those who want it, I truly hope 3D succeeds. One day, I may buy a new tv that (incidentally) comes with 3D display capability built-in. Whether I will ever use it remains to be seen. If 3D becomes mainstream, so be it. I just hope it doesn't add to the cost of HD displays for the majority of us who don't necessarily want it.

A pretty good summation of what plenty of folks have told me...even some industry people.

Thou art not alone on those points. :D

#28 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for all the reporting!
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#29 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

I'm waiting for the halodeck TV. :)

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm waiting for the halodeck TV. :)

I didn't see it myself, but apparently there was a hologram TV there.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Day-after-day I kept waiting for some hint that there was a holographic video image system on display. I'd do a Google News search. The one and only article I came up with was this one on January 7 InnoVision Labs: holographic TV tech spied which is more promising than Sharp's Real-World Holodeck but is a week or two away from becoming my next TV purchase.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...