Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question Paying for a Premium Channel for One Day Only

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Well, Strikeforce MMA is holding an event on Showtime in a few weeks time and I was considering ordering Showtime for one day and canceling it the next day. I know DirecTV has different pricing methods and they usually discount the difference between the full months price and how long you actually had it.

So, I was just wondering, do any of you know how much one day's pricing of Showtime would cost me if I activate it say around 3:00pm one day and cancel it around 12:00pm the next day?

Thanks for any help guys

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

DirecTV has changed how and when packages can be dropped. I believe their new policy is that you must keep the package for 30 days. There's no more adding it one day and dropping it the next.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Well, Strikeforce MMA is holding an event on Showtime in a few weeks time and I was considering ordering Showtime for one day and canceling it the next day. I know DirecTV has different pricing methods and they usually discount the difference between the full months price and how long you actually had it.

So, I was just wondering, do any of you know how much one day's pricing of Showtime would cost me if I activate it say around 3:00pm one day and cancel it around 12:00pm the next day?

Thanks for any help guys

I don't know if they'll prorate it, but you might as well keep it 30 days, as there is a $10 fee to drop a package less than 30 days after ordering.

They might give you a deal like three months free etc.

#4 OFFLINE   NCEarlb

NCEarlb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for any help guys

I would just call and ask if they had any specials going on. I do know as said earlier they charge $10 fee if you cancel within 30 days and they do prorate it according to your service date. But sometimes if you ask they will work with you, especially if you have not had any deals in a while. Also I think if you order Showtime before 1/13 you will be entitled to a $25 visa card. I think you might have to keep it active for 2 months to get the $25 but am not positive on that.

Earl

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

I would just call and ask if they had any specials going on. I do know as said earlier they charge $10 fee if you cancel within 30 days and they do prorate it according to your service date. But sometimes if you ask they will work with you, especially if you have not had any deals in a while. Also I think if you order Showtime before 1/13 you will be entitled to a $25 visa card. I think you might have to keep it active for 2 months to get the $25 but am not positive on that.

Earl

You have to keep showtime for 3 mo's to get the Visa debit card. You have until 1/31 and you have to submit the 3 mo's of bills. This [link] for the rebate form that has more details in the fine print.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

You will have to pay for 1 month even if you drop it after 1 day, How much is it for one month $12 or something? That's not too bad for an event that you really want to see.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Yes, this is true. You used to be able to add one day and drop the next but because that was abused, there is now a 30 day minimum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for any help guys

No.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

Yes, this is true. You used to be able to add one day and drop the next but because that was abused, there is now a 30 day minimum.

They should name the new rule after me then.

I used to keep track for billing record purposes & once over a 3 month span i switched channels 29x. :P

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

You can drop a premium whenever you want...as long as you replace it with another. You only need to maintain the same level of premiums for 30 days. So you can add HBO one day, swap it to Starz the next day, then back to HBO, and so on. The only caveat is you need to keep the last one for 30 days before dropping totally.

So if you have any premiums now, you could swap it out for Showtime for a day.

#11 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

It's Strikeforce...is it really worth one month of Showtime? :) Only kidding...sort of.
DTV = Digital Television

#12 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well, I'm interested in the upcoming heavyweight tournament. I'm hoping Fedor loses again, and Overeem wins. I picked a bad time to cancel all my premiums. I'll think about it. I don't know if the event will be worth $12.00.

Thanks for all the replies.

#13 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

You only need to maintain the same level of premiums for 30 days.

Yea thats the bummer now....before you could gap a few days with nothing & it would cost $0.

#14 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Well, I'm interested in the upcoming heavyweight tournament. I'm hoping Fedor loses again, and Overeem wins. I picked a bad time to cancel all my premiums. I'll think about it. I don't know if the event will be worth $12.00.

Thanks for all the replies.

Someone will likely have it streaming live on www.ustream.tv
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...