Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is "LNB drift"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

What is "LNB drift".

What is it?
What causes it?
How do you fix it?
How do you know that you have it?
How do you check for it?
How fo?

Edited by kcolg30, 11 January 2011 - 06:57 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

A simplified explanation:

There is a timing circuit in the LNB that allows the LNB to "lock on" to the signals coming from the satellite. If capacitors in that circuit start to fail, the timing circuit will "drift" and eventually the LNB won't be able to maintain a signal lock.

If you go to the System Info screen (Menu, 6, 1, 3), and if you get an "ERROR: Click Details" message instead of "Good", you can go into Details and it will show you if one or more of your LNBs are drifting, and what the drift value is. If the number is 6 or greater, the LNB needs to be replaced.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

the LNB's 'eyesight' (if u will) is driting toward the next transponder but it still thinks its on the previous transponder, thus rendering an error msg. at least thats how it was explained to me. it cant be fixed, only replaced. menu 613 is the only way to find out, i think, unless it gets to the point where it loses sight of the transponder. then u might see a msg on the screen about it or just a searching for signal msg. ive noticed u can get a drift if you use both a dishpro plus lnd with a dishpro plus switch.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

menu 613 is the only way to find out, i think, unless it gets to the point where it loses sight of the transponder. then u might see a msg on the screen about it or just a searching for signal msg.

The way quite a few people found out was when DISH phoned them to schedule a LNB replacement. Phone in (I presume broadband connection too) was reporting status and DISH was being proactive when drift reached some level. It didn't happen to me, but it impressed me as something DISH was doing right!

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

I've had the condition for some time now. I'm up to a +6 to +8 drift on some of my LNB's. My system still works however I get occasional lost signal errors. Since I installed the system myself (I purchased my DPP LNB) I'm responsible for replacement. In the 13 years that I've been an E* customer I've never had a truck roll to my house.

I want to wait until Spring and get an Eastern Arc dish (my locals are on both arcs). The only problem is the point dish screen won;t give me coordinates for an EA dish, only a D500 or D300. Why don't they upgrade that screen?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Why don't they upgrade that screen?

Good question. Their on-receiver database hasn't been upgraded in a decade. I suppose there are a couple of potential reasons:

- The memory in the receiver may not have space for additional information.

- Dish might have simply abandoned the database entirely since 99.98% of all installation work is now done by techs rather than customers.

Regardless, you can find the PDF file for the 1000.4 dish online and look up your zip code there to get the settings. Or, you could just ask me, since I happen to know them for your area, since my company is there... :)

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Good question. Their on-receiver database hasn't been upgraded in a decade. I suppose there are a couple of potential reasons:

- Dish might have simply abandoned the database entirely since 99.98% of all installation work is now done by techs rather than customers.

Not the first reason for sure - there are plenty of space for hardcoded tables (sat vs ZIP).
I wouldn't buy second one too - the table exist for more then 10 years with slight updates for last new sats ... and again no such memory constrain.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Not the first reason for sure - there are plenty of space for hardcoded tables (sat vs ZIP).
I wouldn't buy second one too - the table exist for more then 10 years with slight updates for last new sats ... and again no such memory constrain.

The settings in my 622 only cover the Dish 300 aimed at 61.5, 110, 129 or 148 ... the Dish 500 aimed at 119-110 ... or the Superdish 105 or 121. I don't believe there has been an update since the Superdishes were added (which predates the 622). That was a long time ago.

They could pull the Superdish pointing if they needed the space ... the data in the receiver is pretty useless now that the standard dish is a 1000.4 ...

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I mean from beginning, when 119 and 110 was the all sats, perhaps not for latest 1k styles.
Oh, lets check 922 settings ;).

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I mean from beginning, when 119 and 110 was the all sats, perhaps not for latest 1k styles.

First sats at 119 ... second location was 61.5, then 110, then 148. Then Philadelphia on 129 FSS, then 121 and 105 SuperDishes, then 129 DBS, then 118 on the "Plus" dish.

The internal dish aiming changes stopped at the SuperDish (in 2004?).

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

So may changes, so little memory size ... :D

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Regardless, you can find the PDF file for the 1000.4 dish online and look up your zip code there to get the settings. Or, you could just ask me, since I happen to know them for your area, since my company is there... :)

Posted Image

Thank you so much!!! Now if it wasn't for all this snow I could put up that 1000.4 this weekend.

BTW: Since you are in the business I have a question. When I moved in here 5 years ago the house across the street had a D* dish on a pole mount, The house was sold to a new family and they also subbed to D*. Rather than use the old dish (which was left by the previous owner) the installer put up a new dish on the roof (above the area where the pole mount used to be). I thought that the pole mount was a great idea, the dish was protected by an overhang. It inspired me to put up my E* dishes on poles (a D500 on the west side of the house and a D300 on the east side for 61.5). The overhang keeps most of the snow off, and even if there was accumulation the snow could be easily brushed off.

I wonder why that D* installer chose a roof mount? The old D* dish was some kind of multi-orbital dish. Was there was a newer dish configuration for D* in the last 5 years? Also my next door neighbor dropped cable and got D* (I wish I knew they were thinking of getting satellite I would have tried to get them E*). Anyway their D* dish is also roof mounted. The Dish looks like a multi-orbital dish, but the LNB looks odd to me, it looks like it is a single LNB, not an oval like E*'s LNB.

Edited by Michael P, 12 January 2011 - 09:29 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

Thank you so much!!! Now if it wasn't for all this snow I could put up that 1000.4 this weekend.

BTW: Since you are in the business I have a question. When I moved in here 5 years ago the house across the street had a D* dish on a pole mount, The house was sold to a new family and they also subbed to D*. Rather than use the old dish (which was left by the previous owner) the installer put up a new dish on the roof (above the area where the pole mount used to be). I thought that the pole mount was a great idea, the dish was protected by an overhang. It inspired me to put up my E* dishes on poles (a D500 on the west side of the house and a D300 on the east side for 61.5). The overhang keeps most of the snow off, and even if there was accumulation the snow could be easily brushed off.

I wonder why that D* installer chose a roof mount? The old D* dish was some kind of multi-orbital dish. Was there was a newer dish configuration for D* in the last 5 years? Also my next door neighbor dropped cable and got D* (I wish I knew they were thinking of getting satellite I would have tried to get them E*). Anyway their D* dish is also roof mounted. The Dish looks like a multi-orbital dish, but the LNB looks odd to me, it looks like it is a single LNB, not an oval like E*'s LNB.

If you could post pictures ...

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

Likely, the old dish was a smaller "Phase III" dish that uses a 1 5/8" OD mast, like all of the Dish dishes. DirecTV's HD-capable dishes are larger and heavier and require a 2" OD mast. Also, many dishes that are "protected" by an overhang are actually worse off in the snow, as melt-off from the overhang will drip onto the dish and ice it up.

#16 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I battled back and forth in my mind about pole mount versus roof mount.

Pole mount = easy to brush snow & re-align. Easy for vandals to destroy or steal.

Roof mount = pretty much hidden, chance of leaks and pain to re-align

I ended up going hidden on the roof. You can see it from the neighbors behind on the next street back yard from the street I'm on not at all as it shoots over the roof.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#17 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

The DirecTV community never talks about LNB drift. The receivers do not diagnose this phenomenon. Are DirecTV LNBs "drift immune" or its it simply not an issue they diagnose in the receiver software?

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Good call, but no answers yet. Perhaps a quality of DTV LNBFs is much better.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I think it's a matter of Dish's LNBs being a more complicated design. Dish's legacy LNBs seem to work forever too (DirecTV's LNBs are legacy, except arguably for the Ka/Ku and SWM).

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

The difference is LOF2 circuit to make DP support ( I thought you know it).

spam firewall