Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Extend home network using deca

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

If on a dedicated coax just for extending a network say between upstairs and down when you already have the RG6 coax would two BB Deca's be the most cost effective method vs. two Deca adapters + PI's ? Any issues to be noted? Is there a more cost effective method?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Fish the exterior or closet with Cat5e. That's the 'proper' way to do it. I just fished exterior wall from basement to 3rd floor attic flooring, then across that floor to the appropriate drops to the 2nd floor. Basement to attic is the worst. If you can do that; you can drop from 1st to basement, basement to attic, then attic to second. Nothing exposed.... 3 cat-5s for internet to separate rooms, and a 4 conductor (for a doorbell on the second floor from the basement transformer; really only need 2, but in our business we double up for broken wire possibilities)

Now that's a wall fish.. ;)

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

If on a dedicated coax just for extending a network say between upstairs and down when you already have the RG6 coax would two BB Deca's be the most cost effective method vs. two Deca adapters + PI's ? Any issues to be noted? Is there a more cost effective method?

Thanks in advance.

A BB DECA & a DECA + PI are functionally exactly the same.
Maybe not the cheapest way to do this [cat5 is cheap], but to answer your question about the two, they're the same.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

A BB DECA & a DECA + PI are functionally exactly the same.
Maybe not the cheapest way to do this [cat5 is cheap], but to answer your question about the two, they're the same.

I could be wrong, but the OP sounded like he was asking not about WH services, but rather just 'regular' computer networking, and using a coax he had in the wall already. And just adding BB DECA's to either end, and using the coax as a 'Cat5 bridge' if you will...

I may have misread.

#5 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I could be wrong, but the OP sounded like he was asking not about WH services, but rather just 'regular' computer networking, and using a coax he had in the wall already. And just adding BB DECA's to either end, and using the coax as a 'Cat5 bridge' if you will...

I may have misread.

Yes. Just a quick and easy eth Bridge. I have two rooms between floors in a three story slab house. Both rooms on external walls. Running the Cat5e will be a pain.

It looked like the deca + PI on both ends switch/router connected would be quick and easy. Cheaper than a PoE or Moca solution. The bb deca's are going for less than $20 on ebay, cheaper than a deca adapter + PI. The deca adapters + PI or a Moca or PoE would cost more from what I have seen.

If a bb deca which is powered and placed on both ends of the coax will bridge eth over coax for less than $40, this seems pretty reasonable for getting ~100mb into a hard to reach spot.

A recent WH install and a bit of reading here prompted the question.

Thanks for the responses and thoughts on this.

Edited by 901racer, 11 January 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yes. Just a quick and easy eth Bridge. I have two rooms between floors in a three story slab house. Both rooms on external walls. Running the Cat5e will be a pain.

It looked like the deca + PI on both ends switch/router connected would be quick and easy. Cheaper than a PoE or Moca solution. The bb deca's are going for less than $20 on ebay, cheaper than a deca adapter + PI. The deca adapters + PI or a Moca or PoE would cost more from what I have seen.

If a bb deca which is powered and placed on both ends of the coax will bridge eth over coax for less than $40, this seems pretty reasonable for getting ~100mb into a hard to reach spot.

A recent WH install and a bit of reading here prompted the question.

Thanks for the responses and thoughts on this.

BB DECA and DECA+PI are the same thing. One on each end of your cable will work.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#7 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info!

#8 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

I've helped 2 neighbors with the same problem. Both purchased 2 broadband DECA's (on ebay) for a combined total of a bit over $35. Can't get much cheaper than that and setup is 5 minutes.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   mageos

mageos

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

OK. I think that I am trying to accomplish the same thing. I asked on the directTV forums and feel like I am crazy for even considering it. I have a 2 story rental on slab so running cables is out of the question for me. The home is already wired for cable with RG6 cabling. What I would like to do is have two of the new DECA units and use one in my office downstairs where my internet is coming into the house and another in my bonus room upstairs. I would like to use the second DECA adapter upstairs so that I can get internet on my bluray player and XBox that do not have wireless adapters. I was planning on putting an ethernet switch between the devices and the deca adapter.

Sounds like this configuration will work OK from the posts above. If I do it, should I let my DirectTV reciever upstairs use its own built in DECA reciever or use the ethernet port and and add it to the switch?

Has anybody seen problems with whole home DVR playback using more than one DECA adapter on the same coax network?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Has anybody seen problems with whole home DVR playback using more than one DECA adapter on the same coax network?

you can have up to 16 DECAs or nodes on the network.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...