Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about replacing an ailing HD-DVR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

(I'm posting this here as I'm hoping to learn about DirecTV's policies, not about a particular technical nuance of a DVR)

I have an HD DVR HR20-100 that I think the hard drive is failing on. Assuming that's the case, I wanted to learn what the replacement procedure is.

I think I remember paying ~$200 "lease" fee for this DVR. I would have declined any extended warranty like offers or anything like that. The DVR is several years old and i'm sure out of warranty.

If it's broken (but I leased it), who needs to for the replacement DVR? Will DirecTV make me pay for it? Will I have to agree to another 2 year commitment to stay with them? What is the latest DVR I should ask for?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer, I appreciate it!:

Regards,

Eric

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Call DirecTV and if they agree that the unit is dying they will replace it for the cost of shipping or free if you have the Protection Plan. A warranty is not required since it is a leased unit.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

If you call DIRECTV on a leased DVR, they ought to be able to hook you up with another one and at most charge $19.95 for shipping. There's no facility for choosing which one, and there is a possibility that at that price, you'll get a refurbished one. If you don't have the protection plan there may be a request for you to enter into a new commitment.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

JD Spencer,

Thanks for the information! I don't have the protection plan but don't mind paying shipping.

Since it's a leased reciever will I only be able to replace it with an HR20-100 again? Or should I ask for a "better" model? What number should I ask for (I don't use OTA antenna).

It's be a while since I thought about DVRs so any advice you have to offer is appreicated. -- What about this "whole house" DVR? (I have one HDTV and 2 standard defs. Someday I hope to make that 2 HDTVs. Currently all TVs have DVRs HR20-100, SD-DVR that seems like HR20-100 era and Tivo SD-DVR.)

Thanks again!

Eric

#5 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

If you call DIRECTV on a leased DVR, they ought to be able to hook you up with another one and at most charge $19.95 for shipping. There's no facility for choosing which one, and there is a possibility that at that price, you'll get a refurbished one. If you don't have the protection plan there may be a request for you to enter into a new commitment.

Thanks Stuart! You can tell that your "hail mary" idea in the other forum doesn't have me feeling too confident :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

No guarantee what model they would send as a replacement. If you start talking Whole Home DVR, then you can expect some more expense beyond just the $19.95 shipping (though I haven't been through that myself, so I couldn't speak to how much).

#7 OFFLINE   Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Considering you may end up with an HR 21 - 23, I would probably just replace the HDD with an external drive and keep the HR 20 I already had if I were you.

The devil you know...

#8 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Considering you may end up with an HR 21 - 23, I would probably just replace the HDD with an external drive and keep the HR 20 I already had if I were you.

The devil you know...

Thanks for the idea but although this forum is full of smart technical people I'm not one of them! I wouldn't have a clue how to replace a hard drive and my better half would tell me and external drive doesn't "look" good anyhow...

Probably a great idea but not for me... (I'm already going to have to why she can't see her month backlog of General Hospitals!)

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I would also point out that if you use the antenna, be sure to tell them so when you call, because it's very unlikely you'd get another HR20 and you'll need the AM21 antenna module. If you insist at that point they will likely include it for free.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the idea but although this forum is full of smart technical people I'm not one of them! I wouldn't have a clue how to replace a hard drive and my better half would tell me and external drive doesn't "look" good anyhow...

Probably a great idea but not for me... (I'm already going to have to why she can't see her month backlog of General Hospitals!)

You plug an esata cable into the back of the DVR and plug the power cord into the wall. It's easier than hooking the D* DVR up in the first place.

Wife aggro though, that's a whole other ballgame. Although if you just replace the HDD with an ex one, then she could still turn off the external drive and watch her recorded shows until the internal drive completely fails.

spam firewall