Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L&O: LA NBC's best ratings new drama, so let's revamp it entirely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

From the Wall Street Journal:

In a casting shakeup designed to revamp the NBC drama, [Skeet] Ulrich and actresses Regina Hall and Megan Boon will leave the series. Alfred Molina, who previously played deputy district attorney Ricardo Morales on the show, will return to his roots as a detective. Terrence Howard, who traded episodes with Molina as deputy district attorney Jonah Dekker, will now appear in every episode.

...With around 9 million viewers, “LOLA” (as the Los Angeles edition is commonly known) has fared better than any other new NBC drama, but faces the challenge of a new night and competition from midseason premieres.

We've seen two episodes, enough to make us record the rest for possible season shifting if it survives. I really can't wrap my head around these changes.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

That's NBC for you...

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Hmmm... With Ulrich leaving, I am okay with that... I wasn't jelling with his charactor that much... just wasn't a omg, that is the key...

Regina Hall and Megan Boon, were already rotating episodes... so it won't be much of a difference... probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Morales back as a detective... the question there is going to be if the "why" is plausable.
Decker as being the every episode DA will be good.

When we watched it we thought they did the L&O:CI Model, but flipped it. Rotating the DA's each week, instead of the detectives... it worked for us, but not a big deal either way.

I don't think it will be a big deal... L&O has rotated and changed characters all it's history. So 10 or so episodes into this one, it will be a blip on the radar in the big picture.

BTW... has anyone seen any news about the L&O:Original Complete Series DVD Set?
If or when one may be available?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Should be interesting to see how this shake-up changes the feel of the show. T'is a little weird to have a big change like this in the middle of the 1st season. We'll see...
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

I don't watch the show, but Terrance Howard annoys me to no end. I'm not sure exactly why, except that he seems whiney to me.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#6 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

NBC has had it's issues... but when they dropped Southland in favor of the Jay Leno at 10 experiment... I lost all hope in that network.

It's sad that a once proud network has dropped so low. TNT was smart to pick up Southland. It's a drama work watching and was the type of drama that could have brought NBC back into relevance.

Heroes worked for one season.. then died. I kept watching.. but it was hard. Their latest wonderkind.. Chuck... is not doing so well anymore either. The network seems to have lost all of it's heart and soul. And being bought by Comcast... well if there was any heart and soul left (even if dormant) will be completely gone after that.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:50 AM

NBC: No Broadcast Content

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

From the Wall Street Journal: We've seen two episodes, enough to make us record the rest for possible season shifting if it survives. I really can't wrap my head around these changes.

Perhaps Comcast already has taken NBCU?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hmmmm .. I really thought Skeet Ulrich and Corey Stoll (who reminds me of a certain moderator every time I see him :lol:) worked well together. The only thing that comes to mind is that they want to make it even edgier.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   MoInSTL

MoInSTL

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Not a fan of Terrance Howard either, but then I like the L&O format. Came to this thread to see what was going on with it and almost removed it from my Series Manager list.

Glad Southland is back. Bleeping is my only complaint as it interferes with the dialog IMO. I think Southland is a much better show too.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

When does L&O:LA come back? It hasn't been on since 2010, eh?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...