Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 20-700 playback issues

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gandy33

gandy33

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Is anyone having issues with playback on the HR 20-700? I have two HR 20-700's and both are acting up when I play back a show. After a few minutes the recording stutters, pauses, loses audio, etc. It does this every few minutes. I have called D* about this. Is this a hard drive issue? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Any problems while watching "live"?

Does this happen for all channels? Only HD and/or SD?

What are your signal strengths
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I had the same problem over many months in 2009. Eventually directv sent out a tech I had him replace the lnb, realign the dish ,replace the zinwell , and the 2 bbcs. Since then not a problem.

#4 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have the same issue especially when I rewind.a live show and then play it. Stuttering and loss of audio. Annoying. Please post if you learn anything from D* about the issue.
GO GATORS!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Sony34XBR2

Sony34XBR2

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

I only get the loss of audio for a few seconds after I use the back 10 second button, and it only happens on the weather channel. If I hit the pause button for about a minute, then it plays fine. Any advice?

#6 OFFLINE   jmacari

jmacari

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

..Same here (HR20-700); Pixelation, etc; does it with only two channels (only when DVR playback, not live), Golf Channel, CSNE (Celtics). I always figured it was the HDD because it only does it occasionally.....I fiddle with FF, Reverse, etc., and it will smooth out.

#7 OFFLINE   radamo

radamo

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

I have 3 HR20-700's and all of them do this. I am going to get one unit replaced shortly to see if it helps.
RA

#8 OFFLINE   tsciulli

tsciulli

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have also been getting the same, audio drops, video freezing either when playing a recorded item or when going back on live event. It is quite irrating. Just moved to new place and the sign is strong for all satellites. Plus my HR 21-700 is having that same issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

I have been getting the same thing as well plus when watching a program in another room through the home media I started get message that the box was disconncted to the network. I rebooted this morning and see if that helps if not maybe time to switch out the box I guess

#10 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

I also have this issue, it started about a week ago. Picture is fine Live, signal strengths are fine but if I pause or watch a DVR'd show it's horrible.

Pixalation, audio dropouts and extreme slugishness on the DVR.

DTV is sending out a tech tomorrow to investigate and probably replace my HR20-100

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

It would seem to me that D* has messed something up as we all seem to be having the same problem

#12 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

I thought my receiver had gone bad until I came upon this thread. I'm having the same problem, stuttering video and audio that is intermittent accompanied by slow menus. It was quite bad today trying to watch football. I think that I have ruled out a hard drive problem. It happens even when trying to watch a WHDVR recording from another receiver. I made sure that nothing was recording and tuned to a non-recordable channel (9901) to stop it from buffering. More convincingly, my HR24 and HR20/100 will frequently lose contact while playing back a recording from the HR20/700. I don't recall exactly when this started, but it's curious that my receiver downloaded software 0x456 on 1/13, the date this thread started.

#13 OFFLINE   djfrankie

djfrankie

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have been having the same problems of the last couple of weeks. Not every show that we record and watch is doing it, just some of them. TNT has been the worst (Men of Certain Age). Live TV is fine.
slimline, HR20-700 (livingroom), H20-100 (bedroom), lastest national release, harmony 880

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Are you guys all using HR20-700s or do you have a mix of receivers?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

I got a replacement HR24 and my system works well now. Whatever caused the problem it's gone now with a new DVR.

I also have an SD-DVR and Tivo SD-DVR and those never had any problems. Only my HR20 had the issue...

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

It would seem to me that D* has messed something up as we all seem to be having the same problem

I know none of you want to hear this, but dissent is a good thing. I have eight 20-700s and have no problems with any of them and I have twelve HRs on my MRV system.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

My HR20-700 is running flawlessly...even though its got some expanding caps on the motherboard, its still chugging along....Remember that 20-700's are the originals and more and more of them will be dying daily.....especially since they are nearing the 5 year service mark, released in Aug 2006 IIRC.

#18 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Are you guys all using HR20-700s or do you have a mix of receivers?

In my case, it's a mixture: HR20/700, HR20/100, HR24 - SWM and DECA. I was just thinking that the receiver was behaving pretty well today when I came back to find that it was in the middle of rebooting itself. I then tried to playback a recording that was interrupted by the reboot. After a couple of minutes, the picture froze (timed it for two minutes), played for a few seconds, then froze again for a few minutes until it responded to my Exit command.

Was just playing back a recording from another receiver through MRV when the receiver spontaneously rebooted itself again. Second time within an hour. The rebooting seems to be new.

Edited by kkl, 24 January 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   johns1966

johns1966

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

I am having the same issue, and it's making everything recorded unwatchable. Originally I thought the DVR was only having a problem when attempting to playback while recording another show, but now this video/audio pause is happening all the time. It's much worse if I rewind a show and then start to play. Sometimes I need to attempt to play several time to have a stutter-free playback. Its not the recording, because I can watch the same section of a show and not see a stutter. It has gotten to the point that I am afraid to buy anything, because I may not be able to watch it.

#20 OFFLINE   johns1966

johns1966

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

I forgot to mention, I have an HR21-700 DVR. A couple of the upgrades in the past have caused minor problems, but this playback issue is enough to make me turn in the DVR - broken or no.

spam firewall