Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HRxx & DNLA Compliant; What Does It Really Mean ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

OK, long time user and A/V nut. I have three HR23-700s and PCs that occasionally I MediaShare from a booted PC....assuming standard PICs, MP3s or true MPEG2 clips.....all within lets say the DirectV codec ability. I've looked at the transcoding softwares and that are no all the threads and this takes setup work, constant maintanence, and just is not clean....I experienced this nightmare when I developed my own high-end HTPC....in the end not worth the maintenance work on my part. Anyway, I've been struggling for a year+ deciding on what to buy as my medie respository....I HATE having a PC booted just to access my database of pics/music/videos. Thus, I've contemplated NASes, then also Network Media Player with HDD, etc. All of these have trade-offs but I think at the end of the day I probably will go some NAS route that I have a DLNA device "pull" from. The issue is codecs, etc I know...but my assumption is this DLNA device....call it PS3, new highend TV, Network MediaPlayer has those codecs, processor and can ID my NAS and stream/pull.

So, my question on this thread is not the above overview but more the question is that I see DirecTV DVRS are DNLA compliant ? OK, what does that really mean with their very limited codecs ? I ask because while I may still buy a NAS to have as main network database of pics/music/video I wonder if DirecTV DVRs could at some point be true DLNA with codecs to run more than they are ?

Any insights on this appreciated.
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

The issue is codecs, etc I know...but my assumption is this DLNA device....call it PS3, new highend TV, Network MediaPlayer has those codecs, processor and can ID my NAS and stream/pull.

Bad assumption. NAS devices generally won't have the CPU horsepower to transcode anything, and I don't know of any "integrated" playback devices that support a large number of codecs. The PS3 is pretty good, but still LOTS of videos that won't work, because there are a ton of different CODECs out there.

Nothing beats a PC, but some of the standalone playback devices, such as Popcorn Hour, come close, with lots of codec support.

So, my question on this thread is not the above overview but more the question is that I see DirecTV DVRS are DNLA compliant ? OK, what does that really mean with their very limited codecs ?

DirecTV receivers are NOT fully DNLA compliant at all, and were never advertised to be. More specifically, they were Viiv-complaint. Viiv was an Intel spec that was based on DNLA but had a number of changes/extensions that only worked on a Viiv server. The problem is that Intel dropped their semi-proprietary Viiv software (and support) when it became clear that true DNLA was being widely adopted as the de facto standard. This happened not long after the HR20 was released, but DirecTV was already committed.

DirecTV's receivers have extremely limited codec support and don't support DNLA-standard "trickplay" controls (FF/REW), for example. And don't expect that to change; if it was going to, it would have done so long ago.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

My A/V setup is all my DVRs and other A/V equipment is down in Home Theater running thru a component matrix switch (see my signature for link) that drives all TVs in the house. This was pre-MRV from DirecTV and the nice thing was/is you can select any component in the HT rack from any room in the house and bring its "source" to that TV. Thus, I was thinking to put MediaPlayer in this rack as another input to that switch and just use it's newtork connection to update firmware/codecs and also download to their typical HDD my media content. I've been looking at alot of MediaPlayers and NetWork Mediaplayers. Some of the vendors I found....
http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/
http://www.popcornho...om/onlinestore/
http://www.qnap.com/...re.asp?p_id=171
http://www.wdc.com/e...t/mediaplayers/

The other avenue is go "power NAS" and drive a DirecTV DVR but not sure that works since as you pointed out the need for transcoding (think below has enough power) but I think these NetGear run Twonky software server....been along time since I looked. Althought don't have PS3 this could be another option as a target device to stream to....or perhaps one of the newer TVs that may allow for DLNA streaming ? Anyway, here is NeatGear READYNAS that do have enough power....probably best example I've found.....
http://www.netgear.c...ce/default.aspx
NETGEAR High Performance Storage devices are the ideal desktop storage solution for advanced home users and media enthusiasts. These high performance storage products support multiple HD media streams to Xbox 360, PS3 and more. You can also convert your videos on the fly and watch them on your phone or shift your media to any remote DLNA compatible device.

Problem with all these is money and how well they keep up with Codecs. I don't mind spending some $$ but want an architecture that gives me legs going forward.

Let me know your thoughts ?

Edited by thekochs, 13 January 2011 - 08:47 PM.

Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have the 1TB WD NAS Whitebook which has Twonky builtin. However, as mentioned above it doesn't do a very good job with transcoding (if any) videos. I had to do it manually before putting the videos on the NAS. But, I find that Media Share on the HRs is downright awful. So, I then opted for the WD Live TV HD Plus server. This little unit takes just about every video format I can throw at it. It has an HDMI output for the TV as well as component.

The slight nitpick I now have with it is that it shows the DirecTV DVRs in the list for Media Servers as DirecTV2PC. But, obviously I can't view anything from the DVRs. Anyone know of a way prevent the DVRs from showing on the WD Live TV unit?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I have the 1TB WD NAS Whitebook which has Twonky builtin. However, as mentioned above it doesn't do a very good job with transcoding (if any) videos. I had to do it manually before putting the videos on the NAS. But, I find that Media Share on the HRs is downright awful. So, I then opted for the WD Live TV HD Plus server. This little unit takes just about every video format I can throw at it. It has an HDMI output for the TV as well as component. The slight nitpick I now have with it is that it shows the DirecTV DVRs in the list for Media Servers as DirecTV2PC. But, obviously I can't view anything from the DVRs.

I'm kinda coming to that conclusion that.........
1) a NAS is expensive and while good it might be best to buy a NAS as just storage device....as you said they probably aren't met for streaming so kinda do a crappy job....plus worry about long term support.
2) Really need to buy the unit that is focused on this market...Network MediaPlayer. WD one looks good....this new QNAP is really nice....also the DUNE is nice in that it combos BR drive too.
QNAP => The UI seems awesome and does coverart, etc....wow.
http://www.qnap.com/...re.asp?p_id=171
DUNE => Future (free f/w upgrade): Netflix support (for the USA market)
http://store.dunepla...m.aspx?itemid=7
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

When I bought that NAS I didn't know it had Twonky installed. When I discovered that it was and it could be used with Media Share I thought this would be great. Little did I know that it was more trouble than what it is worth. The NAS is primarily a sorage drive for my network. But now with the WD Live TV I can download shows and play the shows with no intermediate transcoding. I can also rip DVDs and play the VOBs (no DVD navigation however.) This may be coming with a future update.

Did I mention that this unit can also do YouTube, Netflix, and a bunch of other apps?

Also, I had a USB based external drive that I connected to the WD Live box and turned it into a network share.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   texasdoc

texasdoc

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have the WD TV Hub too. Although it will transcode many files and output them to the TV connections - it still doesn't transcode them correctly to the HR20. Only the files that are MPG will play on the HR20. Any other file will not play - I get an invalid media type.

This is the exact same problem I had with TVersity running on my windows Home Server. I don't know how DLNA works. It seems that the HR20 must not actually be able to play a file it states it can. Otherwise TVersity (on WHS) or Twonky (WD Hub) would transcode it into a format it can play.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to convert all my files to a MPG format that the HR20 will play. (Handbrake has abandoned the MPG format in favor of the MKV or MP4 format).

#8 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Right now I am trying to figure out how to convert all my files to a MPG format that the HR20 will play. (Handbrake has abandoned the MPG format in favor of the MKV or MP4 format).

Here is MPEG Streamclip....free and very good: http://www.squared5.com/
Here is a How-To ThreadI did awhile back on the subject: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=114861

I applaud you for doing this and have considered myself but I warn you this is a losing battle over time. It is clear that since DirecTV cannot make money off MediaShare, as opposed to something like MRV, they are spending zero time on it and as you said the only codec they support is MP2/TS & LPCM....pitiful.

So, I'm going down your guys roads and getting a NMP that drives my TVs directly. For you perhaps flipping to a different input on a single TV...HRxx vs WD...for me I plan to hook this up to my component matrix switch (see my signature) thus any TV inthe house can access it.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

One problem with MPEG Streamclip is that the "convert to TS" option isn't available for all formats. There are several other video conversion utilities for Windows (most of which are not free, however).

#10 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

One problem with MPEG Streamclip is that the "convert to TS" option isn't available for all formats. There are several other video conversion utilities for Windows (most of which are not free, however).

Agreed....but hopefully works for texasdoc...........depends as you say on what he is converting from.....

I bought this awhile back and still use.......there are others for sure.
http://www.riverpast...deocleaner/pro/
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#11 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

I actually built a Viiv server because I wanted trick play for encoded DVD's so I would have my whole library on all TV's. If you search my username and viiv you will find my results.

Net, viiv works with very specific limitations (Vista 32 bit ultimate, no domain) it will do fast forward and rewind, but does not handle Dolby Digital Audio.

So you either get no FF/RW and sound or FF/RW with no sound.

Yet another half azz product that directv never finished.

#12 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

I actually built a Viiv server because I wanted trick play for encoded DVD's so I would have my whole library on all TV's. If you search my username and viiv you will find my results.

Net, viiv works with very specific limitations (Vista 32 bit ultimate, no domain) it will do fast forward and rewind, but does not handle Dolby Digital Audio.

So you either get no FF/RW and sound or FF/RW with no sound.

Yet another half azz product that directv never finished.

I know...I also built a HUGE HTPC with 8TB storage, integrated music, video/DVD, coverarts, weather, etc....used XLobby frontend. Finally realized year+ work was great to learn but the updates for gfx card, software, etc. was a PITA....sold the sucker. In those days there was no ViiV and no NetWork Media Players. I want a Consumer Device I do not have to maintain....just load my content and go..perhaps a firmware upgrade from time-time...I also don't want a power-hog PC booted all the time either. Thus these NMPs seem ideal....especially with the number of codecs and constant changes to them. I've read like 20+ NMP user manuals from Popcorn to Dune to NetGear to Patriot to QNAP, etc....Reviews and Forums as well. To me it comes down to PS3 if you want a game console + NMP.....or the WD TV Live...on Amazon $99. I've heard Apple TV is good but not a MAC person. Anyway, the WD TV Live needs external HDD but that is good because you can grow over time. I'm going to do more reading but I'm convinced being in the PC-A/V industry two decades to get a product that has some legs in upgradability and also company that will stick around. I think the WD TV Live gives you all this and you are basically out $99 of investment....versus other NMP's are $350+$450.....ouch.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#13 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

The WDTV Live Hub is the newer model with a 1TB built in drive. I am considering it. Still 199.99 on Amazon. ron

#14 OFFLINE   bigmac94

bigmac94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSneads Ferry NC

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

I know...I also built a HUGE HTPC with 8TB storage, integrated music, video/DVD, coverarts, weather, etc....used XLobby frontend. Finally realized year+ work was great to learn but the updates for gfx card, software, etc. was a PITA....sold the sucker. In those days there was no ViiV and no NetWork Media Players. I want a Consumer Device I do not have to maintain....just load my content and go..perhaps a firmware upgrade from time-time...I also don't want a power-hog PC booted all the time either. Thus these NMPs seem ideal....especially with the number of codecs and constant changes to them. I've read like 20+ NMP user manuals from Popcorn to Dune to NetGear to Patriot to QNAP, etc....Reviews and Forums as well. To me it comes down to PS3 if you want a game console + NMP.....or the WD TV Live...on Amazon $99. I've heard Apple TV is good but not a MAC person. Anyway, the WD TV Live needs external HDD but that is good because you can grow over time. I'm going to do more reading but I'm convinced being in the PC-A/V industry two decades to get a product that has some legs in upgradability and also company that will stick around. I think the WD TV Live gives you all this and you are basically out $99 of investment....versus other NMP's are $350+$450.....ouch.

Don`t know if this will be of help to you,however simply by accident I discovered my LG BX582 Bluray Player (thats Also 3D ready) and of course hooked up to my N home network with DECA,I mention this because I have discovered that the bluray player will play any & all of the content on my Computer(Pictures,Music) although have not tried Videos. However it does see the Content saved on the DVRs.
If Its Worth Doing,Its Worth Doing Best You Can.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I have to be honest with you. If you're serious about a full-featured home media server you probably want to use a different device. If you want to play some videos and look at some pictures from your home PC, DIRECTV's implementation will probably work great for you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I have to be honest with you. If you're serious about a full-featured home media server you probably want to use a different device. If you want to play some videos and look at some pictures from your home PC, DIRECTV's implementation will probably work great for you.

Stuart, sorry......no offense but DirecTV's implementation is terrible.....so limited on codecs it forces users to re-format their vids....not practical, user interface from the DVR is terrible....and SLOW, all the transcoding software out there has alot of hickups and since there is issues with LPCM plugins, plus not to mention you have to have a PC booted all the time....very wasteful. For $99 plus attaching HDD how can you lose ?.....just for the codec support it is worth it. I truly wish DirecTV would do something with MediaShare but it is clear for "years" now....not months.....this is not a priority...which guess I can't blame them. I guess I can agree with you that if someone has their W7 notebook PC booted and they want to quickly show a few pics or properly formated vid (however, I think highly unlikely at M2TS/LPCM that they would) that perhaps this is sufficient....but anything past this use of the HRxx MediaShare for the average user or user with decent media library is prohibitive.....wish that was not so. :(

What other Media Servers have you checked into ?...any suggestions ? I've looked/read about 20 of the top guys (A.C Ryan, PlayOn HD, QNAP, NetGear, Akomi.....also there are Media Streaming NASes out there) and all seems OK but literally $350+.....if you are going to spend that type $$$ then I would recommend PS3.

Edited by thekochs, 17 January 2011 - 10:13 AM.

Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#17 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

The WDTV Live Hub is the newer model with a 1TB built in drive. I am considering it. Still 199.99 on Amazon. ron

I was thinking this as well but to be honest with videos the 1TB may look large now but down the road perhaps not....and who knows if the firmware will allow for 2TB or 4TB. Thus, think a $99 investment in the WD LIVE TV PLUS is better since you can handle up to (2) USB HDD off it.....thus, no issue in upgrading down the road either. Only thing which I have not researched is the fact the hub can run multi-streams.....I don't plan/need this....

Just my two cents.....let me know your thoughts....

Edited by thekochs, 17 January 2011 - 10:22 AM.

Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

I've been using my PS3/EyeConnect combo to stream from my iMac. It will get even better once Qwest fires up their VDSL2 service and they send me the q1000 modem. It has gigabit ethernet(and .11N), which both the PS3 and iMac have.

Edited by machavez00, 17 January 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Stuart, sorry......no offense but DirecTV's implementation is terrible.....so limited on codecs it forces users to re-format their vids....not practical, user interface from the DVR is terrible....and SLOW, all the transcoding software out there has alot of hickups and since there is issues with LPCM plugins, plus not to mention you have to have a PC booted all the time....very wasteful. For $99 plus attaching HDD how can you lose ?.....just for the codec support it is worth it. I truly wish DirecTV would do something with MediaShare but it is clear for "years" now....not months.....this is not a priority...which guess I'm not blaming them.

What other Media Servers have you checked into ?...any suggestions ? I've looked/read about 20 of the top guys (A.C Ryan, PlayOn HD, QNAP, NetGear, Akomi.....also there are Media Streaming NASes out there) and all seems OK but literally $350+.....if you are going to spend that type $$$ then I would recommend PS3.

No offense taken at all. I think we actually agree on the basics, that DIRECTV's implementation is limited... all I'm saying is it works for some people. If you're not one of them, you're right that there are a TON of better options.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

I agree with most of what is said here....My feeling is that since they probably arent going to be able to offer all the features of some of the more robust media servers out there, lets quit development on it now, and get these things back to just being good reliable dvr's....

Realistically I don't expect a $100-$200 D* HD DVR to do everything that a several hundred dollar dedicated media server can do, and I don't want it to if it causes issues with normal, dependable operation, including responsiveness.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...