Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HRxx & DNLA Compliant; What Does It Really Mean ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

I agree with most of what is said here....My feeling is that since they probably arent going to be able to offer all the features of some of the more robust media servers out there, lets quit development on it now, and get these things back to just being good reliable dvr's....

Realistically I don't expect a $100-$200 D* HD DVR to do everything that a several hundred dollar dedicated media server can do, and I don't want it to if it causes issues with normal, dependable operation, including responsiveness.

Agreed.....except there is a raging battle in the industry on the convergence of voice/video/data and lets call it "content". You see it with iPhone, new "gateway" STBs, Cloud Apps, ie Windows Live, etc. Basically, it's "how" do we take all our TV channels, Home Video/Photo/Music content, VOD wants (NetFlix or PPV), Internet Browse, Internet content (eg. Flickr, Facebook, YouTube) and make it "seemless" to integrate/access by the consumer. Cisco has recently announced their VideoScape architecture, Comacast is beating the Xfinity drum (BTW....serves video from a NAS), AT&T UVerse.

So, with all this said I would have figured many moons ago....~2 years when DTV released the HR20 that they would want to drive home convergence. Recently they a did a small/baby step in this direction with MRV....in response to AT&T UVerse....and was able to leverage $3/month from us for that....booo....hiss. However, they have really ignored MediaSharing since I'm guessing there are other pressing areas that generate $$$. What's really drives the point on this is that DTV has MP4 & DD codecs in their boxes since this is the new video feeds we are watching off the HDDs....yet the MediaShare is still MP2 and LPCM audio. So, clearly there is no desire here and luckily with the advent of these power little NMP (eg. WD TV Live Plus) looks like there may be good/better way to skin the cat. I just wish that since DTV will not make MediaShare what it could/should be that they make their DVRs DLNA/uPnP where they could stream "from" these NMP boxes.

Edited by thekochs, 17 January 2011 - 02:45 PM.

Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Agreed.....

So, with all this said I would have figured many moons ago....~2 years when DTV released the HR20 that they would want to drive home convergence. Recently they a did a small/baby step in this direction with MRV...

The original HR20 was released in early fall 2006, so it was probably developed in 05, we are talking 6 year old technology now, not 2....potentially a huge difference.

#23 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Agreed.....except there is a raging battle in the industry on the convergence of voice/video/data and lets call it "content". You see it with iPhone, new "gateway" STBs, Cloud Apps, ie Windows Live, etc. Basically, it's "how" do we take all our TV channels, Home Video/Photo/Music content, VOD wants (NetFlix or PPV), Internet Browse, Internet content (eg. Flickr, Facebook, YouTube) and make it "seemless" to integrate/access by the consumer. Cisco has recently announced their VideoScape architecture, Comacast is beating the Xfinity drum (BTW....serves video from a NAS), AT&T UVerse.

While convergence may be nice in some respects, it always seems that it never works as well as several dedicated components. IMHO I think you should take a hard look at a HTPC again.

I use the Acer Revo 3610 with a dual core ION to stream all my movies with XBMC as the front end in the family room. Several leftover (old) laptops handle the other TV's. I connected a cheap USB 2.0 external TB drive for storage. This setup works great for all the TV's and PC in the home. Even over 100bT and USB2.0 connection I can stream 2+ 1080P mkv movies without a hiccup.

I tried media sharing but found it too slow and cumbersome since it would not play most of my files that I keep in mkv or iso. XBMC (or Boxee) play about every format available and I have not found a codec it could not handle.

To boot a great little app called XBMControl on the iphone gives me access to all my movies with artwork, pictures, music, etc from my iPhone anywhere in the home.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#24 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

While convergence may be nice in some respects, it always seems that it never works as well as several dedicated components. IMHO I think you should take a hard look at a HTPC again.

I use the Acer Revo 3610 with a dual core ION to stream all my movies with XBMC as the front end in the family room. Several leftover (old) laptops handle the other TV's. I connected a cheap USB 2.0 external TB drive for storage. This setup works great for all the TV's and PC in the home. Even over 100bT and USB2.0 connection I can stream 2+ 1080P mkv movies without a hiccup.

I tried media sharing but found it too slow and cumbersome since it would not play most of my files that I keep in mkv or iso. XBMC (or Boxee) play about every format available and I have not found a codec it could not handle.

To boot a great little app called XBMControl on the iphone gives me access to all my movies with artwork, pictures, music, etc from my iPhone anywhere in the home.

Don't disagree.....but I no longer want the up-keep of a HTPC...I want an appliance that the extent of my efforts is once in awhile to selelct an online firmware upgrade and have to copy new content to the HDD associated (eg. NAS, internal, USB, etc.) with it.

Interesting reading on XBMC.....seems Sigma (who seems to own the SoC NMP market from an "engine" standpoint) is heavily moving that way: http://xbmc.org/
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#25 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

The original HR20 was released in early fall 2006, so it was probably developed in 05, we are talking 6 year old technology now, not 2....potentially a huge difference.

I was just using the HR20 as a starting point of DTV's efforts for a real DVR....but as you stated...to my point....they are now ~6 years into this effort with new architectures (MCUs) for call it HRxx yet the only codecs for mediashare are MP2TS/LPCM. Anyway, think we all agree on this post that using DTV Mediashare for anything other than the low-techy with a W7 PC who wants to quickly show some pics on the HRxx is really not DTV's focus.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...