Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM LNB to SWiM8 conversion at my house

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

I spent some time today at home rearranging my setup. I replaced my old rusty KaKu with a lighter new one with the quick-change LNB arm. I swapped out my SL5s for a SL3, replaced the single line running to the house with 6 flooded RG6 lines (2 extra, one for OTA, and one for just in case). Moved one of my old Primestar demarcation boxes outside and grounded all of the lines (the cable bends are a little bit tight, but I only had so much room in the box). I used a KaKu rail mount for conduit from the crawlspace to my wiring closet, it makes feeding cabling SO much easier and will make future wiring go very smoothly. On the inside I got another, larger demarcation box to hold all of my network gear, router, modem, DECABB etc. I also mounted my new SWiM8 and 29vPI in the wiring closet.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT3737.jpg
  • PICT3738.jpg
  • PICT3741.jpg
  • PICT3742.jpg
  • PICT3748.jpg
  • PICT3749.jpg
  • PICT3750.jpg
  • PICT3751.jpg

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tweaked

tweaked

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I replaced my old rusty KaKu with a lighter new one with the quick-change LNB arm.

The newer LNB arms are quite an improvement over previous versions, particularly with respect to LNB swap outs. Also, I was told by a Directv service supervisor (aka: know-it-all) the vast majority of Slimlines installed today use the same backs, reflectors, LNB arms, etc.; meaning, no more mis-matched dish hardware due to the varied manufacturers and fastening designs.

Nice, clean looking install by the way!

#3 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

What...no SWM16 :P
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Very nice look! Let me ask you, that OTA on that extra mast, with the couple of self tappers, how secure is that, hovering out in space like that?

We were always forbidden from doing that, but hey, if its only an OTA and its sturdy, awesome... Just as long as it doesn't start to work the self tappers loose with wind forces...

Another general question to the audience here. Why do so many people/customers, have the 4 line SWM8 switches?

The only 4 line SWM switches, I've ever seen, really, is the SWM16, which obviously is 4 down, into the SWM16, then 1 out to each SWM splitter accordingly...

Around here, we always use 1 line SWM LNB's. Is there a difference? Seems like it'd be SO MUCH easier, 1 line down, 1 line to ground, 1 line running 21v to the LNB (not 29v to the SWM8).

I guess the only thing I could see them the least bit useful for is the ease of 4 line upgrade to SWM. But we were never allowed to do an upgrade to SWM. People getting them today for WH reasons, are bending D* rules, according to my sup friend at the local HSP.

If the customer HAD standard 18" round, and wanted HD, NO MATTER IF ALL RECEIVERS WERE HD OR SWM COMPLIANT OR NOT, THEY ALL GOT 4 LINE SYSTEMS.... -Per our HSP, and getting caught cheating it, meant a write-up.

I did an upgrade from two old RCA or something standards, to two HD DVRs...

According to the law of the land, I installed a 4 line system, with dual coax to each DVR, even though they didn't have a drop of vintage equipment in their house. And the pre-existing dual going to the round was so old, I had to run 4 brand new lines. Where really, 1 line would have been so much easier, so much faster, and done for it all....

FRIGGIN' RULES

Someone fill me in if there is a niche there for the SWM8?

#5 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Another general question to the audience here. Why do so many people/customers, have the 4 line SWM8 switches?

The SWM8 was around for several years before the SWM16 and originated in the MDU domain. A large portion of the crowd here are DIY'ers; the SWM8 became the switch of choice for those who wanted 9+ tuners (two SWM8's in parallel) or wanted a hybrid SWM/Legacy setup. It was also the only way to introduce the 72.5 and 95 degree sats into a SWM system.

Around here, we always use 1 line SWM LNB's. Is there a difference? Seems like it'd be SO MUCH easier, 1 line down, 1 line to ground, 1 line running 21v to the LNB (not 29v to the SWM8).

That theory makes sense for most customers. Anybody needing 9+ tuners and WHDVR will need a SWM16 though.

Edited by dsw2112, 13 January 2011 - 10:10 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Nice, clean setup. My only gripe would be putting all that network gear in a single box. The box doesn't look to be ventilated and could pose problems of the gear overheating.;)
HR21-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Samsung LN40B530 40" HDTV -- HDMI -- Living Room
HR22-100 -> cheap 22" HDTV -- HDMI -- Kids Room
H21-100 -> Samsung 26" HDTV -- Component -- Master Bed Room

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

Unsupported MRV (100M ethernet LAN)

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

Dang how far away is your house? That's a long trench...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

Dang how far away is your house? That's a long trench...

I noticed the distance too. My record was 231 feet to pole mount. Lol...

GET ER DUN. If I called in a NOLOS, they'd drive 2.5 hours, and smack my upside my head, because I could in fact get LOS, in the middle of a field...

But since his photo shows trees, makes me wonder how far he is from town... How far he is, and that little OTA? I can see my towers and I live in town, and I have 100's on a couple of my stations, and 68 on another... AND I CAN SEE THEM!

I would also agree about that network setup.. Small stuff might be ok. I'm getting ready to do a rack mount wall setup, 24 port switch, cable modem, router, DECA, on a shelf, patch panels, cat-5 power inserter for a POE WAP, etc.. Should look nice. I should post my Directv wall on here, with my whole pile of cable loops...

#9 OFFLINE   liquidctv

liquidctv

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

>Someone fill me in if there is a niche there for the SWM8?

Not sure. It's been a couple months since I've handled one. But I know I've installed a few, and they've been on work orders, even though my boss says "they don't exist."

Upgrades are easier, since there's no trip to the roof, and the legacy ports give you 11 max tuners. 11 > 8. That's my answer.

>THEY ALL GOT 4 LINE SYSTEMS.... -Per our HSP,

Yeah, D* really doesn't do SWM on upgrades (and sometimes, not on installs either).

But customers want it, so... isn't there a way to make them pay?

#10 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

Nice looking work. Just wanted to ask about the SWM8. Isn't the 15 feet of wire still recommended from the PI to the SWM? Or is that not a problem any more with the green label units? The installer used about a 3 footer on my SWM16 when I upgraded to the "factory installed" DECAs.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,946 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Nice looking work. Just wanted to ask about the SWM8. Isn't the 15 feet of wire still recommended from the PI to the SWM? Or is that not a problem any more with the green label units? The installer used about a 3 footer on my SWM16 when I upgraded to the "factory installed" DECAs.

I haven't heard of any changes, "but":
This distance is for the PI when connected to the RF output #1.
Having a splitter between the SWiM & PI should do the same thing as 15' of coax.
The SWM8 can be powered through the #3 legacy port without the 15'.
The SWiM-16 has a power connector, which doesn't have RF, so this too shouldn't need the 15'.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I haven't heard of any changes, "but":
This distance is for the PI when connected to the RF output #1.
Having a splitter between the SWiM & PI should do the same thing as 15' of coax.
The SWM8 can be powered through the #3 legacy port without the 15'.
The SWiM-16 has a power connector, which doesn't have RF, so this too shouldn't need the 15'.

Just curious, what are the side effects of only having 2 feet between the PI and the SWM8 SWM1 Output?

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,946 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

Just curious, what are the side effects of only having 2 feet between the PI and the SWM8 SWM1 Output?

Not sure we've ever heard.
There was merely "an order" put out to have this.
"What I think" can happen is the SWM output has an AGC which may have problems with a poor impedance/bad match of the SWM PI being too close.
All PIs have a DC blocking cap, which may be the source of this poor match. There is a note about the HR24s and a PI being too close for its DECA too.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Nice, clean setup. My only gripe would be putting all that network gear in a single box. The box doesn't look to be ventilated and could pose problems of the gear overheating.;)

I thought so too. I'm leaving it open until I cut some holes in it and attach a few fans :)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...