Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird signal problem

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

You are tending to have these problems more overnight?

Do you have replacement RG6 compression connectors? I'm starting to think it might be a suck out problem. In the cold, the wire can shrink up just enough to pull apart at the connector.

LNB still most likely. Hard to call it though....

When this problem first came up i originally thought the weather had something to do with it too but over the last 4-5 weeks i have come to the conclusion that its not. I was hoping i would find ice/water inside one of more of my connections or just a bad connector but i found none. I have taking a hard look at all of them and all look fine. Also the problem comes and goes on its own schedule. It does happen more at night then day but then just to piss me off it will happen on a sunny day at 1:00pm when the temp is 50 out so go figure.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Like I said, if you've got them, it probably wouldn't hurt just replacing all of your connectors. Take your time, get a good prep tool, and make sure all are 100% fresh, clean and new. Snug them down, and replace that multiswitch with a quad ground block. Cap the 1 loose end. (4 in from dish, 3 out to house, 1 capped) and then replace the LNB.

That is what I would do.

I believe quite firmly its the LNB. I've seen them do crazy things. And they sit out in the sun, rain, snow, sleet, wind, cold, hot. It's pretty hard on those things, made out of plastic.

Let me ask you, the 'eyes' on the LNB. Are they bright white and hollow sounding? Or Translucent/clear?

#23 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I know what your saying but i am not about to replace 12 connectors in 20 degree temps with snow everywhere unless i am 100% sure its the cause. I did do this though....i took some brand new rg6 and made a 100ft run with new connectors (that way i could stay inside in the warmth). Took my extra h20-600 that i have in a spare bedroom that gets activated maybe 6 months every 3 years, pulled out a brand new b band convertor (always keep a spare) and ran this new coax out the window straight to the lnb. no splices, no ground blocks, no switches, new cable, new connectors and still get the exact same readings as on my h20-100 and tuner 2 of my hr20-700 which right now this second are on average 54% on odds and 94% on evens. Doesn't that take everything out of the equation except the lnb? What racks my brain is my tuner1 on my hr20-700..why never EVER a problem with it and always in the 90%'s on ALL tp's?

Yes i did let this receiver get the latest national released f/w before checking the signal levels :)

#24 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Yea. Almost certain. The only thing left is if you have barrels at the dish, where the LNB comes out of the arm. Directv doesn't like the LNB to be removed once its installed, and tweaked in. They say, and I believe them that removing or monkeying with the LNB (say to take it apart to touch the coax connectors up inside, alters your tuning on those finely tuned Slimline dishes...

So if the barrel, or the connector on the 'LNB' side of the barrel, is faulty. But again, if you get a new LNB, they come with new leads....

So I think you've got it.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

#25 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Well now i need to decide if i should call dtv and try to get them to send me a new lnb array. My guess is they will force me to jump through hoops and want a service call. Might be worth it just to get my wallet out and spend the $50 myself. Any advice?

#26 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

From your description of the problem and the given symptoms, the problem is most likely the LNB. It could well have started as temperature related and progressed to being truly weird.

If you have the access and the dish is easily accessable, I would suggest purchasing a replacement LNB and installing yourself without the services of Directv. I would be greatly surprised if they would send an LNB directly, they would require a service call.

Replacing the LNB is relatively easy (remove two screws and it will slide out). Realignment should not be necessary with normal care in removing the existing LNB assembly. I have replaced several LNBs and realignment has never been required.

Given your present receiver complement, I would remove the 6x8 switch from the mix (use barrel connectors instead).

#27 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Just a update: I bought a new lnb array and recieved it today and installed it myself. Signal levels are now what they should be on all tuners and all tp's. I paid $10 for the lnb and $11 for shipping so $21 total which is cheaper then a service call and the hassle that would have come with it :)

Thanks for all the advice.

#28 OFFLINE   prestone683

prestone683

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Glad it all worked out for you. And you said you didn't want to be outside in the 20 degrees doing connectors, so you went out in the sub zero? :-p

#29 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Glad it all worked out for you. And you said you didn't want to be outside in the 20 degrees doing connectors, so you went out in the sub zero? :-p

Hehehehehe....well today it was close to 30 plus no wind :)

spam firewall