Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v7028 - Issues & Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
220 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I'm getting a message that says "Activation key usage limit reached"

Do I need to get a new key?

I still have the key that I received back in 2009.

Where did I get that is the question?

Thanks

post #1 this thread:
Please use your existing DIRECTV2PC key .. If you do not have one, please complete the Beta Download process @ http://www.directv.com/directv2pc
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Leo_R

Leo_R

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Try this and report back to us:

Right click on the Directv2pc shortcut - Select Run as Administrator.
See if it will activate now

Tbolt,

My user account is an administrator, but I tried as you suggested. No good.

I was going to post some questions today. What is and how do you get these unofficially released versions? Are we like a test bed for Cyberlink? Do they check this forum or does anyone report back to them regarding problems? If so, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long time. Why is activation even required? After all, the software is free. It's not like someone getting/using bootleg copies of Windows or any other pay-to-use software.

Thanks.

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Tbolt,

I was going to post some questions today. What is and how do you get these unofficially released versions? Are we like a test bed for Cyberlink? Do they check this forum or does anyone report back to them regarding problems? If so, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long time. Why is activation even required? After all, the software is free. It's not like someone getting/using bootleg copies of Windows or any other pay-to-use software.

Thanks.

Maybe not Cyberlink, but DirecTV is reading this thread.
Since DirecTV contracted with Cyberlink for this app, the serial number/activation "may have to do" with payments to Cyberlink for their work. I don't think we'll really know for sure, though.
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

It's been about a year since I played with DTV2PC. I just clicked on it, tried to play, it starts to play and then I get a message, and so I remembered why I haven't played with it. I get the attached message. I'm using the latest release because it said it checked for update. I'm on Win 7, Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 3450 - Dell Optiplex.

But I do use the DVI to attach to my monitor. Is DVI the problem or should I check something else?

Attached Thumbnails

• DTV2PC.JPG

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

It's been about a year since I played with DTV2PC. I just clicked on it, tried to play, it starts to play and then I get a message, and so I remembered why I haven't played with it. I get the attached message. I'm using the latest release because it said it checked for update. I'm on Win 7, Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 3450 - Dell Optiplex.

But I do use the DVI to attach to my monitor. Is DVI the problem or should I check something else?

Which exact Dell are you using?
I'm using the 2007 FPW and DVI, and it is working
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Tbolt,

Thanks.

Leo_R,

There are HELP screens inside the app, (which of course you can't see because you can't get it to activate) see if any of these help and report back.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard01.jpg
  • Clipboard02.jpg
  • Clipboard03.jpg
  • Clipboard04.jpg
  • Clipboard05.jpg
  • Clipboard06.jpg
  • Clipboard07.jpg
  • Clipboard08.jpg

#57 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Leo_R,

There are HELP screens inside the app, (which of course you can't see because you can't get it to activate) see if any of these help and report back.

One More page..

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard09.jpg

#58 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

Which exact Dell are you using?
I'm using the 2007 FPW and DVI, and it is working

I have the Optiplex 380, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, 32 Bit. I really thought using DVI was my problem, so I'm perplexed now.

#59 OFFLINE   Leo_R

Leo_R

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Tbolt,

Please check this out for me - I think it was done correctly. It's the opening of port 443. No one has ever said I did it wrong, but neither did anyone ever say it was right either.

Assuming what I've done is correct, nothing in the help pages (only a few apply) worked.

One thing I have noticed is the IP for my PC changes from day to day. Obviously, it changes with each time it's booted. If I should ever get this to activate, do I have to worry about the port 443 being open? From what I read it's only needed for activation. Today, the IP is 192.168.1.103, the other day it was ...100, and in the photo you can see it was ...104. I always change the router to match the day's IP address.

It's not in the help menu, but have people found that Windows 7 Aero affects activation? It doesn't seem to matter with mine setup.

Leo

http://www.dbstalk.c...36&d=1294778825

#60 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

the problem isn't with port 443, that is the https port.

My suggestion is that you plug in a neighbors laptop and see if the problem is in your PC or in the rest of the setup.

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

I have the Optiplex 380, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, 32 Bit. I really thought using DVI was my problem, so I'm perplexed now.

But which one of these:

Monitors:

Dell G-Series and Entry Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel Analog:
Dell G2210, G2410, E170S, E190S, E1709W, E1910H, E1910, E2010H, E2009W, E2210H, E2210, E2310H

Dell Professional Digital Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel:
Dell P170S, P190S, 1909W, 2009W, P2010H, P2210H, P2210, P2310H

Dell UltraSharp™ Digital Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand:
1907FPV, 2007FP, 2209WA, U2410
A.K.A VOS

#62 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

Tbolt,

Please check this out for me - I think it was done correctly. It's the opening of port 443. No one has ever said I did it wrong, but neither did anyone ever say it was right either.

Assuming what I've done is correct, nothing in the help pages (only a few apply) worked.

One thing I have noticed is the IP for my PC changes from day to day. Obviously, it changes with each time it's booted. If I should ever get this to activate, do I have to worry about the port 443 being open? From what I read it's only needed for activation. Today, the IP is 192.168.1.103, the other day it was ...100, and in the photo you can see it was ...104. I always change the router to match the day's IP address.

It's not in the help menu, but have people found that Windows 7 Aero affects activation? It doesn't seem to matter with mine setup.

Leo

http://www.dbstalk.c...36&d=1294778825

Leo_R,

I have a linksys router also.

1. Remove the reference you have to the Port 443 forwarding for Directv
in the Applications and Gaming Tab in your Linksys router.This is unneccesary and could beyour problem. So delete that information line and SAVE your changes.

2. Now. Go to your Windows Firewall control panel - this is where you allow
Port 443 through. Check that the Directv2pc program has both access rights checked to communicate through the firewall.

As always, report back.

#63 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

But which one of these:

Monitors:

Dell G-Series and Entry Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel Analog:
Dell G2210, G2410, E170S, E190S, E1709W, E1910H, E1910, E2010H, E2009W, E2210H, E2210, E2310H

Dell Professional Digital Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel:
Dell P170S, P190S, 1909W, 2009W, P2010H, P2210H, P2210, P2310H

Dell UltraSharp™ Digital Standard and Widescreen Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand:
1907FPV, 2007FP, 2209WA, U2410

Oh, my monitor. I never thought that mattered. Its not a Dell, its an Acer 22" Widescreen Flat Panel.

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Oh, my monitor. I never thought that mattered. Its not a Dell, its an Acer 22" Widescreen Flat Panel.

You're fighting HDCP over digital, so the video card and monitor need to support HDCP, or you need to use the VGA connection.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

You're fighting HDCP over digital, so the video card and monitor need to support HDCP, or you need to use the VGA connection.

I'm still a little confused. Which isn't HDCP compliant, the card or the monitor? Both are only a couple years old at most. And wouldn't VGA degrade my quality?

MORE INFO: The monitor is an Acer X223W

Edited by itzme, 18 January 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

I'm still a little confused. Which isn't HDCP compliant, the card or the monitor? Both are only a couple years old at most. And wouldn't VGA degrade my quality?

Your card is good, so this would seem to be the monitor.
What does the advisor app report?
This Dell doesn't look as good on VGA, but some don't see a difference.
"For grins", try VGA and see if this app works.

I just remembered about another "wildcard" someone once posted:
Not all DVI cables are the same "standard".
One poster changed DVI cables and resolved their problem.

Edited by veryoldschool, 18 January 2011 - 11:21 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#67 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

On my monitor, the HDMI port is HDCP compliant, the DVI port is not. One day, after getting crazy colors from my HDMI port, I just connected the VGA cable. I can't see a difference, even when running the HDNet test pattern.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#68 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

From here http://acer.com/acer...&CRC=1163263002

X223W Dbd 22" wide-screen TFT LCD, 1680 x 1050 resolution, 50000:1 (MAX ACM) dynamic contrast ratio, 170°/160° horizontal/vertical viewing angles, VGA and DVI (HDCP) connectors, 250 cd/m2 brightness, 5ms response time, black color.

I wonder if you could be #2 with the wrong type DVI cable. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#69 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

From here http://acer.com/acer...&CRC=1163263002

I wonder if you could be #2 with the wrong type DVI cable. :shrug:

From looking at the advisor and clicking on the "i" it looks like I have multiple issues. Further complicating matters I believe I have dual DVI outputs on the card, and one goes to a TV monitor across the room to mirror, with a DVI to HDMI converter.

TBH, I'd rather channel my testing energies to CEing with the DVR. I've had really bad experiences messing with graphic card drivers and this is a work computer. I don't want to compromise any existing functionality or video quality on my monitor. But thanks for the help and I hope my posts might help others in debugging their issues.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#70 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

From looking at the advisor and clicking on the "i" it looks like I have multiple issues. Further complicating matters I believe I have dual DVI outputs on the card, and one goes to a TV monitor across the room to mirror, with a DVI to HDMI converter.

TBH, I'd rather channel my testing energies to CEing with the DVR. I've had really bad experiences messing with graphic card drivers and this is a work computer. I don't want to compromise any existing functionality or video quality on my monitor. But thanks for the help and I hope my posts might help others in debugging their issues.

Apparently, the advisor believes either your monitor or TV are not HDCP compliant. Without that getting a green check, you are most likely going to have problems. Try disconnecting the output to the TV and run the advisor again.

As for the Graphics Card driver, that is not always indicative. I think that mine initially came back as Red, but still worked.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

So the advisor shows your problem.
The driver I don't think is it, as the advisor will "fail" with newer drivers than in its database, which I think you have. I haven't used ATI for the last year, but had no problems.
Since everything [card, driver, monitor] all look to be "good", it really does seem the DVI cable could be it.
I've used the ATI DVI to HDMI adapter to my Sony TV, along with a DVI to HDMI cable [with & without ATI cards] and they've all worked too.
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

Apparently, the advisor believes either your monitor or TV are not HDCP compliant. Without that getting a green check, you are most likely going to have problems. Try disconnecting the output to the TV and run the advisor again.

As for the Graphics Card driver, that is not always indicative. I think that mine initially came back as Red, but still worked.

- Merg

Yep! Disconnecting the output to the TV gave me all green lights and let DTV2PC work-- well sort of. Viewing is way too stop-and-start jerky and unwatchable in HD. I tried an SD and it works, and is almost watchable. I'm cat5 hardwired and MRV/WHDVR works fine that way throughout the house.

Except from the standpoint of testing, this is all moot because I want to keep the Graphic card mirrored output to the TV connected.

#73 OFFLINE   Leo_R

Leo_R

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

You guys are not going to believe this, but hear me out.

As you may know, I've been having a hell of a time trying to get DTV2PC activated on my main PC. I've attached its properties. It is hardwired to my network. Windows is up-to-date.

Well, just for laughs, I decided to try installing it on my Asus Eee 1001P netbook PC with a 10" screen. I've attached its properties. It is connected to my network via wireless. Windows is up-to-date.

I think you can guess what happened - IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! I can even watch a recorded program. It pauses occasionally, but totally acceptable. It doesn't surprise me that it pauses as the netbook doesn't have high performance video. As expected, HD doesn't work very well - lots of pauses. Audio is fine.

What the heck! We're taking about a performance comparison between a VW Beetle and a Ferrari.

Now what?????? Any ideas as to how I can check for hardware or software conflicts?

I'll be playing with things while you ponder.

Leo

#74 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

You guys are not going to believe this, but hear me out.

As you may know, I've been having a hell of a time trying to get DTV2PC activated on my main PC. I've attached its properties. It is hardwired to my network. Windows is up-to-date.

Well, just for laughs, I decided to try installing it on my Asus Eee 1001P netbook PC with a 10" screen. I've attached its properties. It is connected to my network via wireless. Windows is up-to-date.

I think you can guess what happened - IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! I can even watch a recorded program. It pauses occasionally, but totally acceptable. It doesn't surprise me that it pauses as the netbook doesn't have high performance video. As expected, HD doesn't work very well - lots of pauses. Audio is fine.

What the heck! We're taking about a performance comparison between a VW Beetle and a Ferrari.

Now what?????? Any ideas as to how I can check for hardware or software conflicts?

I'll be playing with things while you ponder.

Leo

Leo_R,

I have a linksys router also.

1. Remove the reference you have to the Port 443 forwarding for Directv
in the Applications and Gaming Tab in your Linksys router.This is unneccesary and could beyour problem. So delete all the information on that line and SAVE your changes.

2. Now. Go to your Windows Firewall control panel - this is where you allow
Port 443 through. Check that the Directv2pc program has both access rights checked to communicate through the firewall.

As always, report back.

#75 OFFLINE   Leo_R

Leo_R

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Gentlemen,

I have one thing to say -

Activation Success

This never concerned me before, but I wondered why I didn't have a value for Windows Experience Index. I tried running it today and it came back with an error, mostly hardware. So, I investigated further and found one intriguing suggestion. Check for BIOS update. Well, there are 4 for my MoBo. I updated the first one and everything works. Amazing! Weeks and weeks of trying to figure this out and it was the BIOS all along, even though the PC performed OK as far as I was concerned. You know what they say about the BIOS - don't touch if you don't have to, otherwise you may be toast.

Thanks again, you guys are great.
Leo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...