Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Antenna TV guide info

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

Is anyone who can get the new Antenna TV OTA getting the guide data on their Dish DVR?

My 722k picked up the signal several days before the service went live, but it's been almost 2 weeks & my guide still shows "Digital Service." I'm not really surprised since I can't get TV Guide online to recognize that the Seattle area gets the channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

Scranton, PA got guide listings starting on Jan 1st, before the channel went live. The company that supplies the guide listings to Dish needs to be notified.

#3 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

It's not clear from your reply if you are seeing the guide info on your Dish DVR.

I can get the guide with TV Guide in EyeTV on my iMac so the guide info in Seattle is there but I don't get it on my Dish Vip 722k. My Sony HDTV doesn't pick up the signal at all (same antenna).

#4 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

Is anyone who can get the new Antenna TV OTA getting the guide data on their Dish DVR?

My 722k picked up the signal several days before the service went live, but it's been almost 2 weeks & my guide still shows "Digital Service." I'm not really surprised since I can't get TV Guide online to recognize that the Seattle area gets the channel.

I'm not exactly clear on what you are asking, but do you subscribe to your locals through Dish? If not you won't get the guide info for your locals via OTA.

#5 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

I haven't seen any guide info for Antenna TV, even though I subscribe to my locals and I can see Antenna TV on a local sub-channel just fine.

What makes this extra odd is that, AFAIK, Antenna uses exactly the same schedule for all markets, so one trip to the antenna TV site http://www.antennatv.tv/ could give somebody everything they need for all of those Antenna TV sub-channels. AFAIK. :D
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

Dish's guide info comes from Tribune Corp. Doesn't matter what AFAIK sends.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Dish's guide info comes from Tribune Corp. Doesn't matter what AFAIK sends.

Uh. That's "as far as I know". :P

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yes, I subscribe to locals on Dish, I have ever since they were available because we lived in an area that could barely get local analog signals, let alone digital as LOS is blocked by hills. Six months ago we moved just a few miles away & now get all of the Seattle area stations OTA. Every other one has guide data.

#9 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Uh. That's "as far as I know". :P

!Devil_lol
I don't have this "TV Antenna" channel available but there have to be a multitude of cases where the EPG for OTA is missing or wrong.

I have two channels that list as "Digital Service" and two that are just plain wrong. Actually the listings are "switched", that is 9.2 lists information for 29 and 29.2 lists as 9. This must have something to do with the fact that 9.2 is actually 29.2 but is mapped to 9.2, and vice versa. It's confusing but that's no excuse. Windows Media Center gets it right, as does a DTV converter settop box. :mad:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

I too have been waiting on E* to add "Antenna TV" to my guide data. A similar channel "THIS TV" has the guide data from almost day one. Perhaps the fact that THIS has a connection to Tribune Media may help.

I get Antenna TV via WJW-DT 8.2 (the FOX affiliate in Cleveland). I have been doing manual timers to DVR off this channel. I tried using the technical chat to get the guide data but they could not help.

BTW since this channel started on New Years Day that may be the reason for the delay in getting guide data. There wasn't even guide data on my CECB's (converter boxes) until this weekend.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Michael, you are lucky you get guide data for thisTV.

That's one of my "Digital Service" channels, 45.2.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Actually in addition to THIS TV I get the guide data to many of my OTA only subchannels. Even the weather radar channel from my NBC affiliate (formerly "Weather Plus") has guide data (the Saturday morning "E/I" programs) as well as my CBS affiliate's weather channel (occasional e/i kids shows).

I also get data for 3 subchannels on my primary PBS affiliate and one out of 3 subchannels from my secondary PBS.

Yet with all of these subchannels Antenna TV has been the most interesting so far.

#13 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

I get guide data for all the other sub-channels - ThisTV, RTN, the various PBS stations, the ones with ION, etc. Only Antenna TV doesn't have guide data.

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

So has Antenna TV guide data appeared anywhere? I can use my CECB's but they can't help get the titles into the DVR (I'm recording the Monkees off Antenna TV).

#15 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I check every morning after the overnight updates & still no guide data.

You'll have to set manual timers & use an online guide like TitanTV.com to find the times. Even though my EyeTV tuner connected to my iMac shows the guide data from TV Guide, TVGuide.com doesn't even recognize that the channel exists!

#16 OFFLINE   thewallfisher

thewallfisher

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Are the channels you are getting from your off air antenna different then the ones you get through the local networks from Dish? In the area I live in there are some channels that I can get over the air but not through Dish. These channels show up on my Dish guide but they don't show any guide data. They just read "Digital Service."

#17 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Antenna TV guide data shows up on my 722 for the Philadelphia market (Channel 17.2). Wish the same could be said for THIS TV (17.3).

#18 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Are the channels you are getting from your off air antenna different then the ones you get through the local networks from Dish? In the area I live in there are some channels that I can get over the air but not through Dish. These channels show up on my Dish guide but they don't show any guide data. They just read "Digital Service."

I've said it more than once in this thread, AntennaTV is the only OTA channel I get that doesn't get guide info. All of the others - ThisTV, RTN, PBS sub-channels, ION sub-channels, Fox/AccuWeather & others that are not carried by Dish do have guide data.

#19 OFFLINE   thewallfisher

thewallfisher

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Ok. Now I understand the whole picture. If you don't or can't subscribe to the local channels you will not see the guide data for the OTA channels. As far as I know there is no way around it.

#20 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ok. Now I understand the whole picture. If you don't or can't subscribe to the local channels you will not see the guide data for the OTA channels. As far as I know there is no way around it.

Just because you subscribe to locals through Dish doesn't mean you get guide data for all of the OTA channels. That's why I started this thread. AntennaTV is the ONLY OTA I don't get guide info for. What's so hard to understand about that sentence?

spam firewall