Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless networking to a Droid X

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

I'm considering using the Droid X's 3G mobile hot spot capability for my HR23-700's internet access.

Has anyone done this or have an idea what type of wireless access point/wireless equipment I would need for the receiver.

My other receivers are H20-100s so I'm not using MRV nor am I doing any media sharing.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

DirecTV recommends the Linksys WGA600N and WET610 wireless ethernet adapters.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm considering using the Droid X's 3G mobile hot spot capability for my HR23-700's internet access.

Has anyone done this or have an idea what type of wireless access point/wireless equipment I would need for the receiver.

My other receivers are H20-100s so I'm not using MRV nor am I doing any media sharing.

You beat me to this topic. I've been trying to hotspot my HR20 to my Nexus1, so far without success. I hotspot my laptops to it all the time. I've tried changing the ip addy in the HR20 to that of my phone, didn't work. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing.

#4 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

DirecTV recommends the Linksys WGA600N and WET610 wireless ethernet adapters.

I would use the linksys WRT320N or Linksys E2000 since they have 5 gigabit ethernet ports instead of one 100 megabit ethernet port.

#5 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I would use the linksys WRT320N or Linksys E2000 since they have 5 gigabit ethernet ports instead of one 100 megabit ethernet port.

Thanks for the info. The only item that will be on the wireless adapter is my HR23-700. Therefore all I need is one port.

Edited by SledDog, 15 January 2011 - 03:20 PM.

PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment

#6 OFFLINE   Sysyphus

Sysyphus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hope you have a good data plan ;)

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hope you have a good data plan ;)

If it's like mine is is Unlimited Data Usage for the Droid with Verizon even though there is Fair Access Policy written into the Fine Print of all of these agreements.

I just bought a couple of months ago the Virgin MiFi 2200 which has an Unlimited Data Usage Plan for $40 a month and I was just notified that going forward from Feb. 15th it will be reduced to 5 GB which is what Verizon, AT&T & Sprint all have but I will be Grandfathered in because I was enrolled prior to this new version of the Plan.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

The 320 and E2000 are routers where the WGA600n and WET-610N are gaming / bridge adapters.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

If it's like mine is is Unlimited Data Usage for the Droid with Verizon even though there is Fair Access Policy written into the Fine Print of all of these agreements.

The data plan I have is unlimited usage. My employer pays for the unlimited usage portion of my personal cell bill since I access my work PLCs for troubleshooting.

So far I have not had a "fair access issues". And I up and download some very large programs and files.

My A/V Equipment

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

What good does that do you if the Directv DVR Port can only handle 100 Megabits??? :confused:
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

The data plan I have is unlimited usage. My employer pays for the unlimited usage portion of my personal cell bill since I access my work PLCs for troubleshooting.

So far I have not had a "fair access issues". And I up and download some very large programs and files.

Well, I would Monitor it as all corporations are getting pretty ANAL about Excess Data Usage and soon you will see everyone going to Tiered Pricing and it will be Very Expensive to get Unlimited Data Usage.
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

You beat me to this topic. I've been trying to hotspot my HR20 to my Nexus1, so far without success. I hotspot my laptops to it all the time. I've tried changing the ip addy in the HR20 to that of my phone, didn't work. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing.

BubblePuppy - what wireless adapter are you using for interface your HR20? Does your adapter show it is connected to the nexus? Does the nexus even see your wireless adapter?

RichieRich - Hopefully the rate will be grandfathered. Kinda like what direcTV does with their packages.

My A/V Equipment

#13 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Buy an old used linksys wrt54g and put ddwrt on it. Them m/ake a hotspot on the dx and configure the ddwrt router to connect to it (must be configured through a computer). This was is a lot cheaper. The wrt54g goes for 10 bucks on ebay.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

What good does that do you if the Directv DVR Port can only handle 100 Megabits??? :confused:

the WET610N only has 1 ethernet port, the WRT320N and E2000 have 5 so you can connect more then one device and not have to use the dvr's pass through port.

#15 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

BubblePuppy - what wireless adapter are you using for interface your HR20? Does your adapter show it is connected to the nexus? Does the nexus even see your wireless adapter?

RichieRich - Hopefully the rate will be grandfathered. Kinda like what direcTV does with their packages.

The Directv Deca Broadband adapter is plugged into my WRT610N.
I have tried everything I can think of. I think the problem is that when the phone (Nexus1) is in wifi mode 3g is disabled, the WRT detects the phone.. When the phone is in hotspot mode the WRT does not detect it nor my broadband adapters, but my laptops do, of course.
The broadband adapter is connected to the WRT via ethernet connections, which I'm wondering if that should be the case since I don't have cable internet.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

The letter stated that we who had purchased the Unlimited Plan before Feb. 15 would be Grandfathered in.
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

I was told by Verizon that if you use your Droid phone as a Hot Spot then you don't get Unlimited Data Usage but you get 2 Gigabyte Data Usage instead so I decided against doing that for $20/month.
Here's My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

If you're doing this through Verizon, it'll cost you $20 a month extra to do it, you'll be capped at 2gig a month, and compared to "regular" internet.....your speed would be painfully slow.......

#19 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

I just bought a couple of months ago the Virgin MiFi 2200 which has an Unlimited Data Usage Plan for $40 a month and I was just notified that going forward from Feb. 15th it will be reduced to 5 GB which is what Verizon, AT&T & Sprint all have but I will be Grandfathered in because I was enrolled prior to this new version of the Plan.

Using a phone to tether another device doesn't fall under the "unlimited data usage plan" for phones. Verizon charges $20 a month extra to use their phones as wifi hotspots and caps data usage at 2 gig a month. Not exaclty the best setup for feeding an HD-DVR......

#20 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Here is a interesting thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=data plans
hint hint hint :)
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

spam firewall