Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Error communicating with sling box (error 38)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffreymabq

jeffreymabq

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

Ah football on - but some work to do in my home office - no worries - I will just stream my dish onto my computer across my wifi. Oh thats right, another Error 38 message, and I am stuck watching it on my iPhone, across the 3G connection - stupid!

I can't find anything on what causes this error or how to fix it. The only solution I see is to go back to DirecTV -who, in 10 years of service never gave me a product that failed so miserably at meeting the hype.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

error 38 on the BOX, or Error 38 on your computer?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   jeffreymabq

jeffreymabq

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

My computer gives me the error, when I try to connect to the box.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Are you connecting to a slingbox or a 922 receiver?

If an actual slingbox, then this thread is in the wrong forum and may not get you the best answers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

The Error 38 Message is a communication error between the DRA at DISH Networks website and the receiver. I have found that this error message is commonly due to upload speed at the receiver. My guess is that your upload speed on your network is over the 150 kbps needed for mobile devices to be able to catch the "sling", but you are under the 600kbps minimum for computer access. You might even be right around that mark and are trying to catch an HD "sling" which would require the full (minimum) 3.0 Mbps. So far, everyone I know with that error message is under the minimum spec for slinging content to a computer in relation to upload speed. The easiest way to find your particular upload speed is by going to speedtest.net from a computer on the same network, and connected the same way as the receiver. If the receiver is using the wireless usb adapter, use a laptop with the same connection. If its hardlined, a hardlined computer will work fine. What you identify in this test is what the network upload (using the current broadband connection and settings) is capable of uploading to the internet. This is identical between the ViP922 SLingloaded DVR and the Sling Adapter on the 722(k) receivers.

Again, if you are trying to "sling" HD content to a PC your upload MUST be above 3.0Mbps. If its SD content, it MUST be above 600kbps. These are "required" speeds for the Sling to function 100% of the time, and being at the minimum may still have some fairly serious PQ issues. The issue you described (being able to access via 3G on a mobile device) and the inability to watch online via computer is EXACTLY symptomatic of upload speed. Check it out for yourself and you will see what I mean. Hope this helps get it corrected.
Anthony Thomas
DISH Network Customer Service
2:45PM to 11:15PM Sunday-Thursday

Protected By... spam firewall...And...