Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-500 weird issues...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rhythmx

Rhythmx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

I looked through all the threads, but did not see my issue listed.
My HR24-500 seems to turn itself on for no apparent reason. It will also record a program here or there without being programmed and change channels. It seems a hard reset fixes it for a while, but it occurred again yesterday.

Any ideas?
Am running current national release firmware.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Rhythmx, 17 January 2011 - 07:28 AM.
firmware

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

My HR24-500 seems to turn itself on for no apparent reason. It will also record a program here or there without being programmed and change channels. It seems a hard reset fixes it for a while, but it occurred again yesterday.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Are you running the remote control in RF or IR mode? The HR24-500's came with dual mode remotes (at least mine did)

Can you switch the mode for a week and see if the HR24 still does this?

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

It does almost sound like it's getting random IR codes pushed to it. Is this the only receiver in your home or do you have other DIRECTV receivers?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

My first 24-500 did the same things. I blamed the recording of shows that I hadn't wanted to record on my own clumsiness, but I've seen other posts that stated that the same thing happened. The first thing I noticed was the 500 turning itself on randomly, then I noticed it had recorded content that I had no interest in. I posted about all this a while ago. Let me do a quick search and see if I can find the posts...OK, I found the thread. It's short, but the OP details what I saw, just search for this string: 24-500 went completely berserk again!

All those things and more happened to my 500. I swapped it for another 500 and that's been running all right. Put it in the same place, so I know that my system had no adverse effect on the original 500.

Just hope that your experiences don't turn into a mirror of mine. That 500 did things that I've never seen before and certainly don't want to see again.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

I have 3 HR24-500 and one of mine is doing the exact same thing. One night last week, while watching a recorded show, the box exited the recorded show and went to live TV. The interesting part was the only thing that was lit up on the face of the box was the DTV logo. It really did seem like the remote was causing the issue. I am in IR mode so I took the remote and put it in another room. The thing still behaved like it was haunted.
HoosierBoy

DirecTv sub since '96
2 -HR24-500
1 -HR-20-600
2 -HR23's
2 -H24's
4 -AM-21's

Slimline3 w/ Zinwell WB616

#6 OFFLINE   Sharkzdbs

Sharkzdbs

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:09 AM

I have 2 HR24's and one of mine is doing the exact same thing as well. I've tracked down all possible IR issues, and can confirm that it is not an IR issue on my end. My other HR24 performs flawlessly, but the one that is "haunted" does record all shows as I direct it to do. It just needs to be turned off from time to time, and has, on a few occasions, recorded, say, a 30 minute show on the tuner that it was last on when turned off. It hasn't caused any major problems for me yet, but it has been a bit odd, to say the least. So far, we just turn the thing off and have occasionally deleted some recordings we didn't want. If I do a reset, it will often make the problem go away for a few days, but it generally returns after awhile. One wonders if it might be a software glitch with something in the hardware with a particular batch of HR24-500's? Just a guess, as I bought mine about a month apart, and the one acting up is actually the newest one. I guess the point is that this is not as isolated as some people may think.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Here's my OP on the thread I started when my 500 went nuts:

Last night I went to bed and settled in to watch the Yankee game on my 24-500. As soon as I turned it on I knew I was in trouble. The Playlist was up and the channel that was on was the D* channel. No way that should have been on and no way the Playlist should have been up.

I hit the Exit button and got the Playlist to go away and then started to watch the game. I hit the Skip button and the Playlist came up. Hit Exit and nothing happened. Hit it again and again and the Playlist went away. Hit the Skip button again after the second batter got up and it went back to the Playlist. Hit Exit and the Menu box popped up on top of the Playlist. Got them cleared and the Playlist came back up and the Menu box came up at the same time.

Set the remote down and gave this some thought. Didn't feel like fooling around with the 24-500 and switched to the 24-200 and brought up the 24-500 on MRV. Played perfectly and I watched the whole game. Then I
unplugged the 24-500 and let it sit unplugged all night. This morning I plugged it back in and it seems OK.

This is the second time I've gone thru this in a week or so. I'm not very happy with the 24-500 at the moment.

Sounds unbelievable I know, but it happened over and over. I didn't want to replace it, I was worried about what I would get, so I did everything I could think of to resolve the problem. Nothing worked. Finally got another 500 to replace it and have had no issues with it.

Again the precursor to all the above problems was the 500 turning itself on randomly. It had nothing to do with the HDD, I was running a 2TB WD EVDS externally on it when the problems started and I tried it without the external and the same thing happened using the internal drive.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

Very odd.

Sharkzdbs: yours are -500's as well?

Perhaps you guys can all give a little more information.

SWiM?
Whole-Home activated?
Remote on IR or RF?

When I read the OP's entry first thing I thought about was "probably has a pet stepping on the remote", but then others chimed in with the same issue. Very odd one.

I have three HR24-500's and have yet to experience this roller coaster.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

Very odd.

Sharkzdbs: yours are -500's as well?

Perhaps you guys can all give a little more information.

SWiM?
Whole-Home activated?
Remote on IR or RF?

When I read the OP's entry first thing I thought about was "probably has a pet stepping on the remote", but then others chimed in with the same issue. Very odd one.

I have three HR24-500's and have yet to experience this roller coaster.

All my HRs are on SWM, MRV and RF mode. There is nothing wrong with my system. The two 500s I have now do not exhibit any symptoms such as the one that went bonkers. Believe me, I tried everything I could think of to save that 500 and nothing helped.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Being controlled via satellite? You can set recordings online. Why it would randomly turn on, I don't know. I wonder if there is something in common with the receiver ID's.

#11 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm wondering if the OP has a Power Inserter in-line with the coax feeding the HR24-500 in question?

I had a similar issue with a HR24-500; it acted strange until the PI was moved to another coax drop (the PI's coax has to stay on the DC pass-through if on the SWiM splitter, so I also had to swap coax cables at the splitter to make it so).

Or it can be done this way:
http://www.dbstalk.c...07&postcount=27

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Being controlled via satellite?

Doubt that. I've got twelve HRs and have had two 24s since that one went nuts and it was the only one that did the things it did.

You can set recordings online.

I never do that.

Why it would randomly turn on, I don't know. I wonder if there is something in common with the receiver ID's.

No commanality that I've seen. I really think it just lost it's mind. Occam's razor.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm wondering if the OP has a Power Inserter in-line with the coax feeding the HR24-500 in question?

I had a similar issue with a HR24-500; it acted strange until the PI was moved to another coax drop (the PI's coax has to stay on the DC pass-through if on the SWiM splitter, so I also had to swap coax cables at the splitter to make it so).

I didn't have any problems with the PI or any other equipment. The 24-500 just went berserk.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Sharkzdbs

Sharkzdbs

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yes - mine are both HR24-500's, and the remote has been tried on either setting (IR and RF) - the remote setting doesn't make any difference at all in my case. I don't have SWiM or whole home, as I have no need for it with my setup. I can assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with my setup or cabling. I have had the same setup with no problems since the HR20-700's were introduced (I recently replaced my two 700's with 500's). The "haunted" HR24-500 hasn't driven me crazy - it's just been more of a puzzling annoyance in my book; however, it would be nice to know exactly what causes some of them to do this.

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

You can "personalize" a particular remote to a particular DVR, which is how I run 4 in the same room. It's in the user guide. Might be worth a try to rule out stray codes coming in.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   Rhythmx

Rhythmx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes - mine are both HR24-500's, and the remote has been tried on either setting (IR and RF) - the remote setting doesn't make any difference at all in my case. I don't have SWiM or whole home, as I have no need for it with my setup. I can assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with my setup or cabling. I have had the same setup with no problems since the HR20-700's were introduced (I recently replaced my two 700's with 500's). The "haunted" HR24-500 hasn't driven me crazy - it's just been more of a puzzling annoyance in my book; however, it would be nice to know exactly what causes some of them to do this.

Exactly my situation as well. It just brought up the guide a few hours ago with out hitting the remote.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

You can "personalize" a particular remote to a particular DVR, which is how I run 4 in the same room. It's in the user guide. Might be worth a try to rule out stray codes coming in.

RF mode does that without problems.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Exactly my situation as well. It just brought up the guide a few hours ago with out hitting the remote.

That's not good. That's what mine did. I'll bet yours just gets worse and worse. Mine was actually kinda funny. My son and I were watching something one night and the remote was laying on the table between us and something strange happened and he asked me how I did it. Told him to just sit back and watch. They it went completely nuts. I still can't believe what the 500 did. I tried to talk the Case Management Group agent into having the 500 shipped to him so he could watch the show. He declined, but sent me an new 500 very quickly.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

That's not good. That's what mine did. I'll bet yours just gets worse and worse. Mine was actually kinda funny. My son and I were watching something one night and the remote was laying on the table between us and something strange happened and he asked me how I did it. Told him to just sit back and watch. They it went completely nuts. I still can't believe what the 500 did. I tried to talk the Case Management Group agent into having the 500 shipped to him so he could watch the show. He declined, but sent me an new 500 very quickly.

Rich

Just posting to get back on this thread. Ignore it.

Rich

spam firewall