Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home Problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

I know there has already been other posts on this, but I would like some feedback on my set-up. I'm new to this whole home thing, so I'm not even sure if I'm way off or not. So this is what I did with self install whole home. Really my main thing I want to do is watch the DVR recorded material in my bedroom with the HR21-200

I have only two receivers, the HR21-100 DVR (Dual tunner) and a single tunner HR21-200. From the Dish to the receivers it is set up as follows:
1) one coax from the dish itself,
2)that coax goes into a SWM8
3) one coax comes out of that SWM8 to a green SWM splitter with one input and two out puts
4)one coax from the green SWM splitter output goes to the dual tunner HR-21-100 and the other coax from the green SWM splitter output goes to the single tunner HR21-200.

All video is working. Before my house was built I spent hours wiring coax and cat6 to every room, so I didn't want to pay 200 bucks to have the whole home installed after all that time spent.

So I thought I could just simply plug each receiver via ethernet to my router and I would be good to go. Both are working online, and I can get such things as on demand. I activated whole home. Went to my hr21-200 single tunner receiver and hit "list" and was happy to see that the DVR content was one there. When I tried to play a recorded show it said "please wait", the screen flashed real quick, the "please wait" continued, then it said something like "problems playing no audio/video package".

SO, not knowing anything a about this, am I way off. What do I need to order to get this thing going. Because I have a SWM, does that mean I can't use the ethernet port like I have it.

Thanks for your help!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

I know there has already been other posts on this, but I would like some feedback on my set-up. I'm new to this whole home thing, so I'm not even sure if I'm way off or not. So this is what I did with self install whole home. Really my main thing I want to do is watch the DVR recorded material in my bedroom with the HR21-200

I have only two receivers, the HR21-100 DVR (Dual tunner) and a single tunner HR21-200. From the Dish to the receivers it is set up as follows:
1) one coax from the dish itself,
2)that coax goes into a SWM8
3) one coax comes out of that SWM8 to a green SWM splitter with one input and two out puts
4)one coax from the green SWM splitter output goes to the dual tunner HR-21-100 and the other coax from the green SWM splitter output goes to the single tunner HR21-200.

All video is working. Before my house was built I spent hours wiring coax and cat6 to every room, so I didn't want to pay 200 bucks to have the whole home installed after all that time spent.

So I thought I could just simply plug each receiver via ethernet to my router and I would be good to go. Both are working online, and I can get such things as on demand. I activated whole home. Went to my hr21-200 single tunner receiver and hit "list" and was happy to see that the DVR content was one there. When I tried to play a recorded show it said "please wait", the screen flashed real quick, the "please wait" continued, then it said something like "problems playing no audio/video package".

SO, not knowing anything a about this, am I way off. What do I need to order to get this thing going. Because I have a SWM, does that mean I can't use the ethernet port like I have it.

Thanks for your help!!

:welcome_s to dbstalk.

You stated you have a SWM8 but on one of the HR's, only one tuner is selected. If you don't have 8 tuners total, you can change that to two tuners. Just sharing that info as its not affecting your WHDVR experiences.

Back to your problem.
If you try to play content and you get a failed playback message, I would see if it plays on the local DVR (source DVR) correctly. Just make sure its a good recording.

If that's OK, reboot your router, and the connected DVR's. More often that not, that will usually correct most problems. The Green Label splitter is good to have, but for direct ethernet, its not in play for WHDVR Service.

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Do you get that message repeatedly? I have gotten it and just tried again and it worked.

#4 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

From the Dish it comes into something that says "stand alone SWM8 Module Only) and has in big print "SWIN". It's grey with only one input and one output. The output goes to the green splitter.

The recorded show shows fine on the orginal DVR.

I've tried the reset like 3 times on all... just hoping the 3rd time would be the charm, but same result. Not sure what's going on?

#5 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Do you get that message repeatedly? I have gotten it and just tried again and it worked.

Just tried that hoping it would work, but nothing. You know, I did realize though when I got that quick blink in the screen the box was changing resolution from 720, to 480. SO it looks like it is trying to get the video, but can't. That's why I'm wondering if I'm missing something? Well I know I am.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Does the grey thing the coax line goes into also get plug into a wall power outlet (110V plug in)?

What do you mean single tuner HR21? Are you sure it isn't an H21 (HD receiver, not HD-DVR)?

#7 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Does the grey thing the coax line goes into also get plug into a wall power outlet (110V plug in)?

What do you mean single tuner HR21? Are you sure it isn't an H21 (HD receiver, not HD-DVR)?

You are right, it's a H21 single tuner not a HR. And the grey thing DOES get plugged into the wall/electric.

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

A couple of more things to try.
-First eliminate bad ethernet cables at each receiver.
Can you plug in a PC at each location to the ethernet cable and get good internet access?
A good test is www.speakeasy.net Run the Speedtest on the page.
Should have same up/down speeds at each receiver location. Marginal differences OK

You may have to reboot your PC each time.

-Assuming you verified good ethernet connections to your ISP from each location, then it may be the router with some DHCP assignment issues.
Others have reported changing the IP addresses to Static and that solved problems for them.

Let us know how these two steps go.

BTW, it never hurts to go to the web or call Directv and ask them to resend authorization to the receives for WHDVR service.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Only one coax from the dish to the SWM8? You need all 4.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

This is what the SWM8 looks like:
Posted Image
The outputs are on the right side and the 4 uncapped inputs are on the bottom, which as has been posted ALL need to be used.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

I don't think he has a SWM 8. It sounds like he has the power inserter for a SWM 8 being used with a SWM LNB. Could that be causing some of the issues?

Alaskadork, is this what you are calling the SWM8?
http://www.solidsign...)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=

Sounds like he has a SWM LNB with 1 wire, going into a SWM-PI 29V, to a 2 way green label splitter, and then to his HR21 and H21. The HR21 and H21 are then hooked up with ethernet cables to his home network.

Other than that I would recommend he reset his router, and then reset network defaults on the receivers. He may also want to look into seting static IP addresses.

#12 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Can't do it right now, but when I'm home I will test the connections with my lap top.

#13 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

This is what the SWM8 looks like:
Posted Image
The outputs are on the right side and the 4 uncapped inputs are on the bottom, which as has been posted ALL need to be used.

This is the one I have:

http://www.wiredatho...d-SWM%2d16.html

#14 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Then from the SWM8 it goes to this thing:

http://forums.direct... Splitter 2 way[10].jpg

I have two cables coming from the "Out" of that splitter, one to the dual DVR and one to the single tuner.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

This is the one I have:

http://www.wiredatho...d-SWM%2d16.html

That is the power supply for the SWiM, not a SWM8. You seem to have a SWiMLNB in the dish, which only has one output.
They both work the same.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Veryoldschool, is having a 29 Volt power inserter hooked up to a SWM LNB a good thing? Shouldn't he have the 21 Volt one instead?

#17 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Veryoldschool, is having a 29 Volt power inserter hooked up to a SWM LNB a good thing? Shouldn't he have the 21 Volt one instead?

Preferably he should be using a 21v PI. However, there is no harm in using a 29v PI. Several of us have been using them from pre-release days. It's also usefull on extra long (out of spec) PI to LNB runs.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I can say [so far] it isn't "a bad thing", since mine has been powered by one from the first days of testing and is what DirecTV sent me.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

I've used a 29v on 3LNB and 5LNB SWM's when I tried them for weeks at a time. No issues. I suspect all is well with his SWM-LNB setup as he can play all live content fine and record locally/playback fine.

Seems to be an issue with remote playback via ethernet.
If ethernet tests out well, maybe a router issue? Static IP's needed? Will see what he reports.

#20 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Tested the ethernet line to the routure with lap top and it tested fine. Does the video go through the CAT6 line? I understand tech, but I'm on the lower knowledge side... so not sure if you say I need a static IP what that means. Through my router?

Now remember, I'm able to read what is on my DVR through my H21 receiver (navigate it too), so does that mean the connection is fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...