Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home Problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dbphd

dbphd

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I've been a long time customer of DirecTV, and have 4 HD-DVRs. Today I had the whole home service installed. I told the person who arranged the service that I was getting the service because I wanted the sound of our kitchen and living room TVs to be sync, and the video clip on the DirecTV web site that says you can pause in one room and pickup where you left off in another implies the TVs are networked. The installer thought that was the way whole home worked as well, and he tried lots of things to bring it about. It appears the only sharing is the list of recorded programs, and the ability to access one of those programs.

I asked DirecTV to terminate the service and refund the $200 installation charge. That was refused. The final settlement with the intervention of a "supervisor" was a refund of $100. I have the feeling whole home service was released prematurely, and that the personnel are not trained on its use or limitations. I'm really pissed with DirecTV.

db

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Tested the ethernet line to the routure with lap top and it tested fine. Does the video go through the CAT6 line? I understand tech, but I'm on the lower knowledge side... so not sure if you say I need a static IP what that means. Through my router?

Now remember, I'm able to read what is on my DVR through my H21 receiver (navigate it too), so does that mean the connection is fine.

Yes the WHDVR video and audio go over the Ethernet line the way you have it set up without DECA.

Static IP's means you assign a permanent IP address to each receiver. Then your router doesn't assign it dynamically.
If you go into the Setup menu, you can look up the assigned IP addresses. Go to Setup/Network Setup/Advanced Setup.

Let us know what the data shows on each receiver. Don't change anything and don't share the Mac address. Just the 4 lines of info.

#23 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

I've been a long time customer of DirecTV, and have 4 HD-DVRs. Today I had the whole home service installed. I told the person who arranged the service that I was getting the service because I wanted the sound of our kitchen and living room TVs to be sync, and the video clip on the DirecTV web site that says you can pause in one room and pickup where you left off in another implies the TVs are networked. The installer thought that was the way whole home worked as well, and he tried lots of things to bring it about. It appears the only sharing is the list of recorded programs, and the ability to access one of those programs.

I asked DirecTV to terminate the service and refund the $200 installation charge. That was refused. The final settlement with the intervention of a "supervisor" was a refund of $100. I have the feeling whole home service was released prematurely, and that the personnel are not trained on its use or limitations. I'm really pissed with DirecTV.

db

You actually can pause in one room and resume in another. But to do that you STOP the recording, then go to the next room and select RESUME.

Yes I do agree it could be better communicated on the advertising.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

You actually can pause in one room and resume in another. But to do that you STOP the recording, then go to the next room and select RESUME.

Yes I do agree it could be better communicated on the advertising.

These ads have been bad from the start.
"Now you can" press pause on the DVR with the recording and select resume from one remote location [the only condition that comes close to their ad]. Then to shift to another remote location: stop, switch, and resume again.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

Yes the WHDVR video and audio go over the Ethernet line the way you have it set up without DECA.

Static IP's means you assign a permanent IP address to each receiver. Then your router doesn't assign it dynamically.
If you go into the Setup menu, you can look up the assigned IP addresses. Go to Setup/Network Setup/Advanced Setup.

Let us know what the data shows on each receiver. Don't change anything and don't share the Mac address. Just the 4 lines of info.

IP address for each is:

H21/200: 192.168.2.3
Hr21/100: 192.168.2.4

Do you need to know the sunet mask, default gateway and the DNS? Hey, thanks for your time!!

#26 OFFLINE   alaskadork

alaskadork

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

IP address for each is:

H21/200: 192.168.2.3
Hr21/100: 192.168.2.4

Do you need to know the subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS? Hey, thanks for your time!!

Edited by alaskadork, 18 January 2011 - 11:28 PM.
subnet

spam firewall