Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual HDMI outputs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Random987

Random987

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

Does anyone know if D will release a DVR with dual HDMI outputs? I would love to bypass my 1.3 only receiver for HD content. However, the more I research, the more it seems i will need to upgrade my year old receiver...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Does anyone know if D will release a DVR with dual HDMI outputs? I would love to bypass my 1.3 only receiver for HD content. However, the more I research, the more it seems i will need to upgrade my year old receiver...

Nope. Time to upgrade receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

I have two DVRs feeding one TV.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Does your receiver not have optical?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

If the receiver does HDMI 1.3, why would you need to bypass it for HD? I know in the past some receivers would only do video over HDMI, and not audio but wouldn't think a year old box would be one of them.

I can understand if it was for 3D, but yours should do HD fine.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm assuming he wants to bypass the receiver so he can get the 3D content (HD was a typo and should have said 3D)?

Like Spartanstew mentioned, if that is what he is trying to do he needs to just run HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to his TV, and an optical or digital coax cable from the DirecTV receiver to his AV receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

Would this work for you?

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Random987

Random987

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the responses, yes, I meant 3D. I am getting a new TV this year and need to integrate my current equipment. Since I can theoretically get 3D content from Blu Ray and Directv, I would need dual hdmi output on both (especially with the BluRay as I would like to preserve the HD Audio formats which, from what I understand, are not available through optical connections. The more I think about it, the more I may need to upgrade my receiver....

Anyone need an Onkyo 876?

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the responses, yes, I meant 3D. I am getting a new TV this year and need to integrate my current equipment. Since I can theoretically get 3D content from Blu Ray and Directv, I would need dual hdmi output on both (especially with the BluRay as I would like to preserve the HD Audio formats which, from what I understand, are not available through optical connections. The more I think about it, the more I may need to upgrade my receiver....

Anyone need an Onkyo 876?

You can still send D* directly to your display via HDMI and to your receiver via optical. Then, you just need a blu ray player with dual HDMI.

#10 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

If all you want to do is split signal from one DVR across multiple TVs, you might consider an HDMI splitter. I use them because I want complete control of two DVRs from two different TVs.

From an experience a year ago, I learned that not all HDMI splitters are created equal and, as you might expect, more advanced capability comes at a price. You have to read the specs carefully - look for the level of HDMI you want, see if they support all the digital audio formats, and decide if you want 3D support. The Gefen products are among the most expensive ones out there but they do deliver against their specs. The link below is for a 2-way that passes 1.3, advanced digital audio, and 3D.

http://www.gefen.com...sp?prod_id=8475

My experience with Gefen is that their box is like a router and shows one "virtual set" back to the device looking to sync up. For me, this eliminated a problem with another brand of splitter (that I had to return) where the device looking for HDMI sync up was seeing through the splitter and trying to sync with each TV individually which caused audio problems with DD.

Good luck!

Big K
- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

If all you want to do is split signal from one DVR across multiple TVs, you might consider an HDMI splitter. I use them because I want complete control of two DVRs from two different TVs.

From an experience a year ago, I learned that not all HDMI splitters are created equal and, as you might expect, more advanced capability comes at a price. You have to read the specs carefully - look for the level of HDMI you want, see if they support all the digital audio formats, and decide if you want 3D support. The Gefen products are among the most expensive ones out there but they do deliver against their specs. The link below is for a 2-way that passes 1.3, advanced digital audio, and 3D.

http://www.gefen.com...sp?prod_id=8475

My experience with Gefen is that their box is like a router and shows one "virtual set" back to the device looking to sync up. For me, this eliminated a problem with another brand of splitter (that I had to return) where the device looking for HDMI sync up was seeing through the splitter and trying to sync with each TV individually which caused audio problems with DD.

Good luck!

Big K

This device doesn't support 1.4a so he still won't have 3D access. Plus for $300 you're almost half way there to a really nice receiver that will do 1.4a. For $400-$500 you can get an ok receiver that will do it.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

If all you want to do is split signal from one DVR across multiple TVs,

That's not what he wants to do.

Plus for $300 you're almost half way there to a really nice receiver that will do 1.4a. For $400-$500 you can get an ok receiver that will do it.

And for around $150 you can get a dual HDMI BD player and solve the problem.

spam firewall