Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr20-700 & ATSC Antenna?

fios

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DjEclipse

DjEclipse

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a HR20-700 and see that it has a spot to hook up an ATSC antenna to get local HD channels.

What antenna is required/ recommended and how well does it work? Is there anything else I need to do, or do you just plug it in and you'll be able to see the local HD channels in the guide (like the manual says)?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Welcome to DBS Talk!

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx

Follow the instructions at the above link and then you can research from there.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#3 OFFLINE   DjEclipse

DjEclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been reading the forums and came across the history of the receivers here.

w w w .dbstalk . c o m/showthread.php?t=159295

It seems DBSTalk has played a part in testing software updates for receivers before they were Officially released.

As for the ATSC antenna question, I went to that website, filled out the form and it gave me a list of stations with a compass heading etc. Is that first column with the stat balled DTV, Direct TV? or something else.

So I assume now I have to select an antenna?

I see in the chard, it shows you the channel number of the station I am able to receive. eg. 4.1, 43.1 etc. Looking on the web for antennas I am having a hard time finding an antenna that will pick up the entire spectrum of channels, some are good rot 14-61, but I don;t see any that go as low as channel 4.

Also, once I get the antenna, how will the receiver get the program information etc.?

thanks.

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

There are a couple of problems here:

• your location is outside the DirecTV market.
  • your local station information will not come from DirecTV and the HR20 needs this to tune to them.
  • If you're trying to pickup US stations, then you can enter a US zip code during the setup that will receive these stations and get the data needed for it to tune to them.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Also, remember that the channel a station is assigned isn't necessarily the frequency they are broadcast on.
For example, channel 40 here is actually on frequency 8.
This will affect what antenna you need.

VOS: You need to fix the typo in #2 of your reply. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   DjEclipse

DjEclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

There are a couple of problems here:

• your location is outside the DirecTV market.
  • your local station information will not come from DirecTV and the HR20 needs this to tune to them.
  • If you're trying to pickup US stations, then you can enter a US zip code during the setup that will receive these stations and get the data needed for it to tune to them.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am in the Buffalo Niagara falls NY area, using the antennaweb's locator it says I am able to pick up stations form Buffalo and Jamestown & Springfield NY, most are within 11 miles from me.

2. So you're saying that Direct TV provides local over the air station information?

Since I am on the boarder I assume my antenna will be able to pick up both U.S and Canadian over the air channels. Are you saying I will only be able to view the U.S. stations with the HR20?

3. I am a little confused. You say I will be able to enter a U.S. zip code during set up and I will get the information needed to tune to them. But just above you said I won't be able to view them.

I am confused.

#7 OFFLINE   DjEclipse

DjEclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Also, remember that the channel a station is assigned isn't necessarily the frequency they are broadcast on.
For example, channel 40 here is actually on frequency 8.
This will affect what antenna you need.

VOS: You need to fix the typo in #2 of your reply. :)

So which is the channel, and which is the frequency?

On the chart I see channel, and RF channel. Which is which, and which one determines which antenna set up I need?

Thanks.

Edited by DjEclipse, 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

You will not be able to get Canadian stations because the HR20 does not scan for channels. It maintains a database of US channels for each zip code.

Now, I must ask you this question and an honest answer is appreciated. Are you receiving DIRECTV service at a Canadian address and using a US billing address? I believe that would go against your DIRECTV customer agreement.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

You won't get information for Canadian stations, since you "shouldn't be using" this receiver there.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

You will be able to view the US stations. Directv uses a database, rather than scanning and the database does not include any Canadian stations. Some users have reported finding a secondary zip code which had the correct ATSC channel mapping, although the guide information would be incorrect.

#11 OFFLINE   DjEclipse

DjEclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

You will not be able to get Canadian stations because the HR20 does not scan for channels. It maintains a database of US channels for each zip code.

Ok, thanks for the clarification

Now, I must ask you this question and an honest answer is appreciated. Are you receiving DIRECTV service at a Canadian address and using a US billing address? I believe that would go against your DIRECTV customer agreement.

I am not receiving any Direct TV service at any address. I came across an older PVR receiver and figured it could be a great ATSC receiver with the ability to record/ schedule recordings etc.

Why do you ask? Why the mention of the customer agreement?

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Ok, thanks for the clarification

I am not receiving any Direct TV service at any address. I came across an older PVR receiver and figured it could be a great ATSC receiver with the ability to record/ schedule recordings etc.

Why do you ask? Why the mention of the customer agreement?

This receiver will be useless for you as it only works with an active DirecTV account, so that is why these questions were asked.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

So which is the channel, and which is the frequency?

On the chart I see channel, and RF channel. Which is which, and which one determines which antenna set up I need?

Thanks.

The RF channel is what I was referring to with frequency.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fios

spam firewall