Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No B Band Converters?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

I recently ordered a new Hr24 to add as an additional reciever in my living room. I open the box, and low and behold, there are no b band converters included.

Has this become a normal pratice since the SWM systems have come out?

I understand a lot of people have converted to SWM, but there are still many customers still using a conventional 4 cable LNB system. The bbc's should still be included in the box. Heck, D* will mail them to you for free! Totally inconveniant!

This is ridiculous! Now I had to order bbc's and have to wait to do my install!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

I recently ordered a new Hr24 to add as an additional reciever in my living room. I open the box, and low and behold, there are no b band converters included.

I understand a lot of people have converted to SWM, but there are still many customers still using a conventional 4 cable LNB system. The bbc's should still be included in the box. Heck, D* will mail them to you for free! Totally inconveniant!

While I understand your inconvenience, since the 24s have internal DECA, and the DECA doesn't work with BBCs, "it makes sense".
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

While I understand your inconvenience, since the 24s have internal DECA, and the DECA doesn't work with BBCs, "it makes sense".

It only makes sense for people with these types of systems. For those of us without, it is a major inconvenience. If D* will mail them to you for free, why can't they just put them in the box?
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

I do think the vast majority of HR24 users are now on SWiM systems. There would be a lot of waste in including these components.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

I do think the vast majority of HR24 users are now on SWiM systems. There would be a lot of waste in including these components.

So basically this is D*'s way of getting me to switch to a SWiM system? I understand what you are saying, and maybe I will consider converting.

It's just frustrating to not have all the components necessary to do a simple reciever install. If you want to leave something out of the box, I really don't think those WalMart composite AV cables are a necessity either.

And I'm sure the included HDMI cable costs more than the BBC's do.
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

"Getting you?" I think that's a bit harsh. But non-SWiM systems are now considered "legacy" and any major change to your system, like adding HD or adding multi-room viewing, now implies a switch to SWiM technology.

I agree with you on the composite cables, but I suspect that's changing as well. I disagree on the comparative costs of the HDMI vs. BBC. HDMI cables are being made all the time and it's easy to find them for under $6. BBCs would have to be custom manufactured for DIRECTV and I suspect they really don't want or need to place a new order for them with Zinwell.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I purchased an HR24-200 a few months ago and it also came with no BBCs. I am not using a SWM but had a few left over BBCs so I re-used those. Would be nice if the HR24s came with BBCs, however, as the average person wouldn't probably need them and not know why they can't access many channels.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

How far do you live from this guy? :lol:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=189106
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

It is a known hole in their system. I don't know if they ever plan to fix it, however. Even if you are replacing a HR10-250 with a HR2x that needs the BBCs, they will not be in the box. That part makes sense, for the reasons others have stated.

What does not make sense is that there are many instances when the customer will need the BBCs, and since they are not in the box, they need to have them shipped separately. That by itself would also make sense, but what regularly happens is that the CSRs do not assess the situation to see if there would be a need for BBCs, and then automatically place an order for them to be sent, and inform the customer that they would be arriving separately.

Seems like just one more no-brainer, but for some reason, they just can't seem to hammer that one out.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

If anyone is competent enough to do a self install after convincing a CSR to drop ship a HR2x, then they should also know enough to order BBCs as well.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

If anyone is competent enough to do a self install after convincing a CSR to drop ship a HR2x, then they should also know enough to order BBCs as well.

Then they call for a truck roll when their "self upgrade" isn't working, and there are no lines to that location!!
Posted Image
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#12 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

Of all the minor things in life to get worked up about... BBCs not being included by default anymore?

Call and have them sent. For free. End of issue.

#13 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

First of all, I didn't order from D*, I ordered from amazon. I had ordered 2 HR24's previously, both came with BBCs. Nowhere in the product description did it mention not including them. Competence has nothing to do with it.

Of all the minor things in life to get worked up about... BBCs not being included by default anymore?

Call and have them sent. For free. End of issue.

I ordered from amazon. Cost was not the issue. Tried ordering from D*, said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery! Totally unreasonable. Should I have to wait that long to get something for free or any other price?
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#14 OFFLINE   ssandhoops

ssandhoops

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

I recently had an HR20 replaced and they sent me an HR23. During setup, the setup screen specifically said to remove any BBC's and the CSR confirmed that BBC's were not needed with an HR23. If fact she said the BBC's are built in to the HR23 (I do not have SWiM by the way). Is that not the case with HR24's?

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

I recently had an HR20 replaced and they sent me an HR23. During setup, the setup screen specifically said to remove any BBC's and the CSR confirmed that BBC's were not needed with an HR23. If fact she said the BBC's are built in to the HR23 (I do not have SWiM by the way). Is that not the case with HR24's?

Yes, because the 24s have internal DECA and are geared for the SWiM/connected home networking/whole home DVR service, they don't have the wideband tuner of the 23s.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Really? I can't agree. Many of us are more than competent to swap a receiver (I installed and aimed my own dish) yet can be completely blindsided by the fact that what is necessary for the receiver might not be automatically included. That would be like leasing a car, and before having it delivered taking care to arrange for someone to put the original air in the tires. It's both something that should not even be necessary to mention as well as something that would be automatically expected. And obviously it's their responsibility. They might as well have forgotten to include the HDD.

As for their response to the "oops", even though they never seem to learn this lesson after continually dropping the ball probably thousands of times already, at least I can say that in most cases folks report here that as pretty positive. And in the two cases I know of, the BBCs were received in 2 days and 1 day, respectively.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Yes, because the 24s have internal DECA and are geared for the SWiM/connected home networking/whole home DVR service, they don't have the wideband tuner of the 23s.

That sort of points to the fact that the design team painted itself into a corner and reversed course. That really fills me with confidence. Left hand, meet right hand.

#18 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Really? I can't agree. Many of us are more than competent to swap a receiver (I installed and aimed my own dish) yet can be completely blindsided by the fact that what is necessary for the receiver might not be automatically included. That would be like leasing a car, and before having it delivered taking care to arrange for someone to put the original air in the tires. It's both something that should not even be necessary to mention as well as something that would be automatically expected. And obviously it's their responsibility. They might as well have forgotten to include the HDD.

Thank you!
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

That sort of points to the fact that the design team painted itself into a corner and reversed course. That really fills me with confidence. Left hand, meet right hand.

Not sure what the lead time is for a new receiver, but the wideband tuners do look like a dead end and SWiM installs have been the focus as this is the direction for all the new services/features.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

As for their response to the "oops", even though they never seem to learn this lesson after continually dropping the ball probably thousands of times already, at least I can say that in most cases folks report here that as pretty positive. And in the two cases I know of, the BBCs were received in 2 days and 1 day, respectively.

You've been active here 8+ years, the OP 4+ years. To simply not know how things are done in the DirecTv world for an active enthusiast is a piss poor excuse at best.

If someone wants to go outside of normal channels, then they assume all the pitfalls that come with it.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...