Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

chicago area and sub channels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   judget

judget

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

i live in a high rise in chicago... the building has direct tv with no boxes, just a single wire like you would have regular cable tv...

when will i be able to obtain the sub channels from chicago ota stations... for instance channel 5 has 2 subs, 7 2 subs, 9 one sub, 11 3 subs and 26 4 subs... we can not get these extra channels like they are offered on comcast.. when will these channels be added... or how can we get them now... the whole building does not have any of the channels...

also how can we obtain the actual local on the 8's from the weather channel.. every once in a while we get it, it lasts for a few days and then goes back to not working properly and we get the national info...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

You almost certainly have a "head-end system", similar to this:

Posted Image

Essentially, your building has a mini "cable" system that is fed from DirecTV receivers. There is a DirecTV receiver for each channel your system offers, and each receiver is connected to a modulator, which places that channel on a "cable channel" that any TV with an analog NTSC "cable-ready" tuner can receive.

To answer your questions: you'll likely never get subchannels. First, your apartment complex would have to purchase more modulators and associated equipment, and would have to purchase and pay monthly fees for more receivers, in order to add channels to your head-end system. Second, DirecTV likely doesn't carry any of those subchannels anyway, and probably never will. Subchannels usually have ratings so low that they are essentially zero, which means that adding them at great cost will not help DirecTV gain customers, even if they had capacity to add them, which is unlikely.

Your best bet is to get a new digital (i.e., HD) TV and use an OTA antenna to pick up those subchannels.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   judget

judget

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

You almost certainly have a "head-end system", similar to this:

Posted Image

Essentially, your building has a mini "cable" system that is fed from DirecTV receivers. There is a DirecTV receiver for each channel your system offers, and each receiver is connected to a modulator, which places that channel on a "cable channel" that any TV with an analog NTSC "cable-ready" tuner can receive.

To answer your questions: you'll likely never get subchannels. First, your apartment complex would have to purchase more modulators and associated equipment, and would have to purchase and pay monthly fees for more receivers, in order to add channels to your head-end system. Second, DirecTV likely doesn't carry any of those subchannels anyway, and probably never will. Subchannels usually have ratings so low that they are essentially zero, which means that adding them at great cost will not help DirecTV gain customers, even if they had capacity to add them, which is unlikely.

Your best bet is to get a new digital (i.e., HD) TV and use an OTA antenna to pick up those subchannels.

thank you for your info... i have been told by my building that if the channels were available as we are suppose to receive ALL over the air local channels we would get them... if this is the case why does comcast and rcn have them and direct tv does not

also what about the local weather on the 8's versus a national weather on the 8's

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

thank you for your info... i have been told by my building that if the channels were available as we are suppose to receive ALL over the air local channels we would get them... if this is the case why does comcast and rcn have them and direct tv does not

also what about the local weather on the 8's versus a national weather on the 8's

I'm not sure if you could diplex an antenna into this system or not and just use an internal antenna. As far as local 8 unless your head end has a channel dedicated to the active channel you won't have access to it.

The reason they don't carry it is space. They only have a certain amount of bandwidth for local channels and sub channels for a specific market usually won't give them a good enough ROI.

#5 OFFLINE   judget

judget

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

shades:

thanks for the info.. what is interesting about the local on the 8's is sometimes we get it for say 2 weeks, then it goes out ... somehow when there is a weather alert, such as a winter storm warning then it pops back on for a few days and then goes out again... i have been told that they have replaced the receiver and replaced the router... could it have something to do with the router not obtaining the info correctly all of the time...

my tv is old enough that i can connect a dtv box and get the subs but the flipping from antenna 1 to antenna 2 gets to be a pain... i can not believe that a digital system that comcast has or rcn allows for the bandwith for the subs but direct tv does not..

my building would add them if they could but for instance wciu tv has 4 subs and has them tied to a main station and also has them as lp stations as well but direct tv picked up one but not any of the others... it does not make any sense...

any other suggestions

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

my tv is old enough that i can connect a dtv box and get the subs but the flipping from antenna 1 to antenna 2 gets to be a pain... i can not believe that a digital system that comcast has or rcn allows for the bandwith for the subs but direct tv does not..

Extremely different distribution models. RCN / Comcast, use localized distribution models (aka the Comcast in Oak Lawn, is NOT the same as the Comcast in Tinley Park... and those are two cities only 15 miles apart, let alone across the country)

any other suggestions

OTA antenna is the only way.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Don't know what RCN is, but Comcast has a local franchise in your area that picks up those channels OTA and sends them down the cable. Satellite works very differently; transponder space on the sats is a precious, highly limited commodity, and so priorities have to be made.

Again, the extremely low ratings of these subchannels mean that there is little motivation to spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to carry them, given the LOW level of interest. Besides, in most cases, there simply isn't any space on the sats for them.

Anything that is local-specific has to come from the "active" portion of the receiver, which overlays the normal national feed. If that quits working for some reason, the receiver "defaults" back to the live national feed. And, really, the Active screens weren't designed to run 24/7/365, and probably have memory issues or something that causes it to crash after a while.

Bottom line: satellite isn't cable. Cable is often "better" for local-specific issues, because they have a local franschise with a local head-end system to feed the local area. They also have different rules and restrictions than satellite. But your building likely paying about 2/5ths of the price of their old cable bill to run the satellite headend. If they switched you to cable, you would end up being billed the difference, meaning your rent would likely go up $40-50/month. Since most residents probably wouldn't choose to increase their rent payment, the building management isn't likely to switch.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

He can solve the problem with a $10 antenna and he even has 2 inputs on the TV so it's just an inconvenience of pushing the ant button 2 times.

#9 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Adding to what has been said, as a MDU system installer provider, if the building owner-manger did add the local subchannels, the bair minuam cost wish to do that would be $3500.00-$4000.00 for the equipment. Which, depending on the total number of apartments could cost YOU an additional amount on your rent. IE if it cost $4000.00 to add the equipment, 100 apartments, your cost $40.00 a month. Directv has to pay EVERY tv network and or station, a 'right to carry fee' and with the bandwith of the sat signal, they cannot carry EVERY channel in the whole USA. That would be like trying to put an elephant in a honda. NO GO. For the cost, try a set of rabbit ear antenna and plug into your tv coax and then run a channel scan.

#10 OFFLINE   judget

judget

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

cabletech:

sorry but my condo has 535 apartments so based upon your figures that would add about 7.50 at a non bulk rate to what we currently pay...

additionally they have to be offered by direct tv first, which they have been offered by the local ota tv stations at NO CHARGE for the signal.... they refuse to take no charge channels..

finally i am not asking for every station in the usa , just local chicago ota stations which direct tv promotes that they have ALL local ota stations, but that is not correct... they prefer to carry local ota stations that carry nothing but infomercials all day.. that is much better use of the airwaves....

#11 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Judget

Okey.. 7.50 per unit to add the addional equipment into the system..not too bad.

Again, even if DTV is offered to run the extra local channels for free, you need to still look at how that signal(s) are going to get from point A to point B. The signal to get from Chicago to the Satellite is not so much the problem, it is from the sattellite to you that is the problem. I again state that with the available bandwirh, that would be putting a elephant in a honda. As for YOU reciving all channels in the US, that was not what i was trying to say. What I was saying was, if EVERY channel in the US was attempted to be carried by DTV, there is no room on the 'road'. DTV would have to put up another satellitte just to handle the load and THEN you, the customer, would have to go thru another big equipment change to receive the programing.

"additionally they have to be offered by direct tv first, which they have been offered by the local ota tv stations at NO CHARGE for the signal.... they refuse to take no charge channels"

Who is saying this, management? I know of no mandate from the FCC or any one else saying that DTV/DISH (OR EVEN THE CABLE COMPANY) have to carry any thing OTHER then the National networks on what is called a 'MUST CARRY" basis. Other then that both company's can carry what ever they want to. I do wish you the best of luck in getting you wish. Let us know what happens.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...