Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will R10 work with locals upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

I got this message when I logged into Directv.com:

We will soon be changing how we broadcast local channels in your zip code. This may require a free upgrade to your DIRECTV equipment. To find out if you qualify for an upgrade, call 1-888-763-7772. Mention "Free 72 Local Swap" at the voice prompt.

I just called and was advised my dish would be replaced and my boxes upgraded at no cost to me. But they advised me of 2 things that don't seem right:

1.) Since I am getting new equipment, this will require a new 2-year agreement.

2.) My ancient Directv DVR R10 won't need to be upgraded.

Are they right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

I got this message when I logged into Directv.com:

We will soon be changing how we broadcast local channels in your zip code. This may require a free upgrade to your DIRECTV equipment. To find out if you qualify for an upgrade, call 1-888-763-7772. Mention "Free 72 Local Swap" at the voice prompt.

I just called and was advised my dish would be replaced and my boxes upgraded at no cost to me. But they advised me of 2 things that don't seem right:

1.) Since I am getting new equipment, this will require a new 2-year agreement.

2.) My ancient Directv DVR R10 won't need to be upgraded.

Are they right?

A "forced upgrade" such as this should NOT require an additional commitment. I'd call back and ask for the customer retention department (this usually gets their attention). If your locals are being uploaded only in mpeg4 this would require all of your receivers to be upgraded to capable units for FREE and with NO commitment!

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,208 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Not upgrading the R10 seems like a fail on DIRECTV's part.

Maybe if you hold out, they'll give you one of those new HD DIRECTiVos.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

A "forced upgrade" such as this should NOT require an additional commitment. I'd call back and ask for the customer retention department (this usually gets their attention). If your locals are being uploaded only in mpeg4 this would require all of your receivers to be upgraded to capable units for FREE and with NO commitment!

This makes sense to me. It didn't seem like I was talking to intelligent life this evening. I will call the "office of the president" tomorrow and see what happens.

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

No commitment should be required, unless perhaps you are going from non-DVR to DVR, that kind of thing where you are choosing to add a new level of service you did not have before. But otherwise, equipment swaps required due to their change are to be commitment free.

http://support.direc...t/kw/localswap/

#6 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

I wanted to followup and let everyone know what happened.

The Directv tech just left. The LNB on my Slimline dish was updated and so were all 4 boxes. I now have 3 brand new HD boxes and to replace my ancient R10 Directivo....I am the proud lessee of a brand new (not refurbed) HR24 receiver.

All free of charge, just because of the locals upgrade. Nice!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...