Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3lnb Dish and HR21 - Should I get all my HD programning?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Guys - I'm located in Los Gatos, Ca and have the 5lnb slimline dish for my house set up. I have an older 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) hanging around and was given an HR21 (owned box) that I want to activate on my account and put the receiver in the garage. Since I'd prefer to save a little cash and use this dish (I can't get to my house set up to hook in there), will this set up work or do I need a more recent dish type to support the MPEG4 HD transmissions?

Dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Guys - I'm located in Los Gatos, Ca and have the 5lnb slimline dish for my house set up. I have an older 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) hanging around and was given an HR21 (owned box) that I want to activate on my account and put the receiver in the garage. Since I'd prefer to save a little cash and use this dish (I can't get to my house set up to hook in there), will this set up work or do I need a more recent dish type to support the MPEG4 HD transmissions?

Dan

Correct. You need KaKu dish in order to receive any MPEG4 programming.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Unless the distances are great or the route represents a serious hardship, it would probably be easiest to run a cable (or two) from the house.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys, trust me when I say running a cable isn't an option. Hardscape all teh way from garage to the house and the dish is on the other side of the house... I'll look for a used KU Dish

#5 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

I'll look for a used KU Dish

If you go on e-bay, you might be surprised by how cheap even new slimline Ka dishes are... ;) ;)

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Check your local craigslist. If you have a ladder, wrench, and a caulking gun full of roof tar there are always landlords and those lost to E* that love to have that huge slimline taken off the roof. I have gotten 3 this way, and two of them were already off the roof! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Thanks guys, trust me when I say running a cable isn't an option. Hardscape all teh way from garage to the house and the dish is on the other side of the house... I'll look for a used KU Dish

You have a used Ku dish. You need a Ka/Ku dish.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

You have a used Ku dish. You need a Ka/Ku dish.

When mentioned a used Ku dish, I really meant the slimline dish rather than the oval 18x20 HD dish I have.

#9 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

When mentioned a used Ku dish, I really meant the slimline dish rather than the oval 18x20 HD dish I have.

No worries. The rest of the world got it. :rolleyes:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#10 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Check your local craigslist. If you have a ladder, wrench, and a caulking gun full of roof tar there are always landlords and those lost to E* that love to have that huge slimline taken off the roof. I have gotten 3 this way, and two of them were already off the roof! :D

Great idea - the guy who gave me the receiver has two KA/U dishes on his house he no longer uses. I'll check there first..

#11 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

No worries. The rest of the world got it. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

spam firewall