Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Considering DTV whole home network have install questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JST4FN

JST4FN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

I'm considering going back to DTV and getting their whole home network or whatever it's called. Anyway I'm trying to get an idea of what equipment is installed and how many RG6's are run from the dish? I'm trying to make sure everything is already wired and setup before the installation as my main tv wiring is custom do to a two story home. I've looked at other post but I'm a little confused on what is actually used.

Thanks Mike

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

How many DVRs and non DVRs do you want?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

As sigma posted, we need to know the number of receivers you will want in order to count the number of tuners in your system. Anything under 8 tuners they can do with a single RG6 from the dish. More than that requries a SWM16 and multiple lines running from the dish (I think 4).

The way to calculate number of tuners is as follows:

DVR & HDDVR Rcvrs = 2 tuners per device
SD & HD Rcvrs = 1 tuner per device

(EX. 2 HDDVR & 1 HD Rcvr = 5 tuners/ 3 HDDVR = 6 tuners, etc.)

You see how what equipment is needed is all based on how many rcvrs you want.

#4 OFFLINE   JST4FN

JST4FN

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Ok, we'd be looking at two HD DVR's and one HD reciever more than likely. The only other option could be 3 HD DVR's. So that being said one RG6 would come in and go to ? I know it would have to be split to get the signal to the other recievers. If the equipment/splitter is small enough go behind my main TV center than the install would be easy.
Thanks Mike

Edited by JST4FN, 20 January 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

Ok, we'd be looking at two HD DVR's and one HD reciever more than likely. The only other option could be 3 HD DVR's. So that being said one RG6 would come in and go to ? I know it would have to be split to get the signal to the other recievers. If the equipment/splitter is small enough go behind my main TV center than the install would be easy.
Thanks Mike

Since you will a max of 6 tuners, you will most likely get a 3LNB with built in SWM. That will handle up to 8 tuners with one coax run from the sat dish.

What you do want are the latest receivers, thats the HR24/H24 series. You can't request it from Directv but when the installer is on the way or they call earlier, ask them to bring the 24 series. Don't take older models.

And with whole home be sure to order the Internet Connection Kit so you can have VOD and TVAPPs. Its an option to WHDVR service.

#6 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

JST,

You would be looking at one coax coming from the dish into a 4 way splitter (technical term is multiswitch).

One leg of this would go to a power inserter that sends DC current to the dish to power the lnb. (The PI can be located by itself, or can be placed behind one of your other receiver locations. The coax running into that room would then go to the PI first, then on to the receiver.) The other 3 legs would be used to connect to the 3 receivers you have in the house.

If you don't mind all of the coax terminating behind your main tv then it's fine. Myself, and many others on here, have a space in a closet or basement that is out of the way that we have everything terminating at.

Don't forget you will need a coax drop near your dsl/cable/satellite internet router if you are wanting to be able to run the internet apps/video on demand on your receivers. (This coax can be split to run both a receiver and the Internet DECA in the same location if needed.)

#7 OFFLINE   JST4FN

JST4FN

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

JST,

You would be looking at one coax coming from the dish into a 4 way splitter (technical term is multiswitch).

One leg of this would go to a power inserter that sends DC current to the dish to power the lnb. (The PI can be located by itself, or can be placed behind one of your other receiver locations. The coax running into that room would then go to the PI first, then on to the receiver.) The other 3 legs would be used to connect to the 3 receivers you have in the house.

If you don't mind all of the coax terminating behind your main tv then it's fine. Myself, and many others on here, have a space in a closet or basement that is out of the way that we have everything terminating at.

Don't forget you will need a coax drop near your dsl/cable/satellite internet router if you are wanting to be able to run the internet apps/video on demand on your receivers. (This coax can be split to run both a receiver and the Internet DECA in the same location if needed.)

Ok, can the single RG6 go to a dual splitter were one leg goes to the main tv and the other to the main splitter that the remainder of the house connects to? OR do all the cables need to connect at the original splitter ? That will determine what I need to do.

Also there isn't a coax near my router. My house is wireless except the main computer.

Thanks Mike

#8 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Technically speaking you could do a 2 way splitter like you said, however I would not recommend it. When you start hanging splitters off of splitters you degrade the signal for the entire system. The best thing would have homeruns from each receiver location come back to a certain place where the coax from the dish resides.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

Technically speaking you could do a 2 way splitter like you said, however I would not recommend it. When you start hanging splitters off of splitters you degrade the signal for the entire system. The best thing would have homeruns from each receiver location come back to a certain place where the coax from the dish resides.

NO, you can do this without any issues "if you" keep in mind what you're doing.
"Even if you exceed" the splitter & cabler loses, it "only effects" the end of this cable run and has NO AFFECT on the other runs off other splitter ports.
There is a thread here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186663

And perhaps more to the point is:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1290621499

These are close to the max lengths, so less than these should be NO PROBLEM!
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   JST4FN

JST4FN

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

It woud be similar to the 2nd and 3rd diagram. The footage woud be less than 50 ft for any run. If they'll do this it would make things a snap.

Thanks Mike

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

It woud be similar to the 2nd and 3rd diagram. The footage woud be less than 50 ft for any run. If they'll do this it would make things a snap.

Thanks Mike

"They should", but as you see above, there is some misunderstanding/lack of training, about how to deal with splitters.

Understand most installers have had it beat into their heads that home runs to a switch is the only way and now some haven't completely made the switch to splitters. This tends to have them use an 8-way in place of the old switch figuring this is a "good thing". :nono:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...