Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many HD streams can I pull?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jcormier

jcormier

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of HD streams that can be simultaneously utilized with DTV?

I currently have two HD DVRs (family room and master bdrm) and two SD DVRS (children's rooms) and I am contemplating replacing the SD DVRs with HD DVRs.

The two HD DVRs are already connected via Whole House DVR and I would probably do the same with the additional HD DVRS.

My reasoning for not purchasing HD receivers instead of the HD DVRs is because of the potential scheduling conflicts when my children are connected to the whole house DVR system.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

With DECA networking you shouldn't have any problems.
With 4 DVRs you'll only get 4 streams, plus any On demand.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Oh, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   jcormier

jcormier

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

With DECA networking you shouldn't have any problems.
With 4 DVRs you'll only get 4 streams, plus any On demand.

Thanks for the response and the welcome.

You stated "...with 4 DVRs I would get 4 streams...", does this mean if two of the DVRs were each recording two shows (totaling 4 HD streams), the other DVRs would not be able to access (record or watch) other HD programing?

Would they be able to access previously recorded material on any of the networked DVRs?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

You stated "...with 4 DVRs I would get 4 streams...", does this mean if two of the DVRs were each recording two shows (totaling 4 HD streams), the other DVRs would not be able to access (record or watch) other HD programing?

Would they be able to access previously recorded material on any of the networked DVRs?

You can have all DVRs recording two shows each, and still be able to watch other recordings from them, so the streaming has no effect of the recording.
Each DVR can only stream one show though [4 DVRs = 4 streams].
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   jcormier

jcormier

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

OK. I am trying to compare the feature set of DTV and U-Verse and I understand that there is a limit as to how many HD streams you can pull off of the wire when using U-Verse.

So based on this thread, there does not seemed to be a limitation to how many HD streams I can access. As long as the individual hardware limitation is not exceeded (two per device), we should be good.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

OK. I am trying to compare the feature set of DTV and U-Verse and I understand that there is a limit as to how many HD streams you can pull off of the wire when using U-Verse.

So based on this thread, there does not seemed to be a limitation to how many HD streams I can access. As long as the individual hardware limitation is not exceeded (two per device), we should be good.

U-Verse is limited by the cable coming in, where DirecTV isn't. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

4 hd dvr'S = (8) hd channels recording at once and the ability to watch 4 other programs from your list at the same time.

5 HD DVR's = (10) hd channels being recorded at the same time.

With Uverse it's one DVR 2-4 HD channels availible for the whole house.

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

If you're talking about U-verse you're talking about the "streams" coming in. In this case U-verse is limited to 2 (sometimes 3); D* has no limit. You could have 20 HDDVR's if you wanted and all could record on both tuners in HD (or 40 "streams" in U-verse speak :lol:)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Correct, but the "two per device" will be increasing with future equipment.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,327 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

U-Verse and DIRECTV are using entirely different technologies and should not be compared as if they were the same. U-Verse uses IPTV and DIRECTV uses a combination of technologies.

There is a decided limitation but it comes into play in an entirely different manner than you're used to.

Whole Home DVR Service works via something like IPTV while DIRECTV's satellite service works more like old-fashioned satellite service with stacked bands of radio frequencies and tuners. On the WHDS via DECA side, there is a practical limit on how many sessions it will support (I'm guessing four or five for the entire household). On the satellite side, there is a limit on how many satellite tuners are supported (typically 8).

Satellite tuners and WHDS via DECA are entirely separate systems that can coexist on the same cable. If the limitations of DECA are too constricting (probably not a problem in your installation), you can turn to using a conventional switched Ethernet LAN.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

U-Verse and DIRECTV are using entirely different technologies and should not be compared as if they were the same. U-Verse uses IPTV and DIRECTV uses a combination of technologies.There is a decided limitation but it comes into play in an entirely different manner than you're used to.

Whole Home DVR Service works via something like IPTV while DIRECTV's satellite service works more like old-fashioned satellite service with stacked bands of radio frequencies and tuners. On the WHDS via DECA side, there is a practical limit on how many sessions it will support (I'm guessing four or five for the entire household). On the satellite side, there is a limit on how many satellite tuners are supported (typically 8).

Satellite tuners and WHDS via DECA are entirely separate systems that can coexist on the same cable. If the limitations of DECA are too constricting (probably not a problem in your installation), you can turn to using a conventional switched Ethernet LAN.

There is no "practical" limit on how many satellite tuners can be supported..."typically 8" is not the correct answer.

Each HD-DVR can provide a "stream" to another device...DVR, HD Receiver, etc...if you have 10 HD DVR's in your house you could record 20 shows, and have each DVR providing an HD "stream" to another device...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#13 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Forgive me for intruding here. But a SWM16 is contained to 16 tuners for the DECA network a more typical home install uses the SWM8 on the dish so the answer "typically 8" is probably accurate for large sampling of the WHDVR subscribers.

When designing the DECA element to the SWM environment I seriously doubt it was engineered to handle that idea that ALL devices would be DVRs streaming concurrently.

Now I do not know this for fact but the fact they capped the DECA module at a 16 tuner environment, leaves out some of us "more bloated subscribers" :grin:, it's rational to assume they designed the DECA traffic handling to a marketing demographic which would be something akin to 4 or 5 concurrent MRV streams and not 8 DVRs all cross streaming.

Again I do not know this for fact but its a more than reasonable assumption given how corporate entities work and that some of us larger infrastructures fall outside DTV's residential support model.

In parlance to the OP's question now:

I believe in his context of the word "stream" each DVR will support up to 4.
2 Inbound tuners, 1 server output stream via DECA or Ethernet, and one client session either viewing a remote DVR's recorded content OR viewing one of it's own recorded programs.

During early MRV testing I had DVRs recording 2 programs, serving an MRV stream, while watching a program stored on it's own disk, or using it as a remote client on another DVR's recorded programming. Haven't tried that recently though. Should still work like that.

Again forgive me if I'm being condescending here but I'm pretty confident one could max out a SWM16 using 8 DVRS all serving to each others clients concurrently.

Don "love to be proven wrong though;)" Bolton

There is no "practical" limit on how many satellite tuners can be supported..."typically 8" is not the correct answer.

Each HD-DVR can provide a "stream" to another device...DVR, HD Receiver, etc...if you have 10 HD DVR's in your house you could record 20 shows, and have each DVR providing an HD "stream" to another device...

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Define "Stream". If you are talking about the DVR receiving and recording an HD channel, then each DVR can simultaneously receive and record two channels/programs. Or, you can record one while watching a different one live.

If you are talking about the DVR in a whole-home environment streaming a recording to another DVR or receiver, then it is only capable of sending one outgoing stream at any given time (regardless of what it is doing on the watching/recording side of the house).

So, one DirecTV DVR can:
1. Receive and record two shows simultaneously, and
2. Stream a recording to another DVR or receiver in a whole-home environment,
all at the same time.

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Uverse has a limit of 4 simultaneous streams, which includes any combo of watching live, recording, or playing back, across the entire system. This is a significant limitation.

DirecTV has no practical limit on the number of tuners you can install to view live and/or to record. There *is* a limit to how many receivers can be part of a DECA pool, but that's FAR over the limit of Uverse (I believe 8 DVRs, each of which have 2 sat tuners).

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

It boils down to each DVR can record two and output two for a total of four. This makes the real limitation the number of receivers you can have. IIRC, the limitation is a max of thirty-two tuners of a single dish (I could be way off on that).

Additionally, the number of tuners simultaneously recording has zero impact on the number of streams that can be watched. IOW, if a DVR is recording two things, I can still watch something previously recorded, AND someone in another room with a receiver can watch a different recording.

So, in theory, with five DVRs, five stand alone receivers, and ten TVs, you can record ten different shows; while watching another ten previously recorded shows for a total of twenty, all at the same time, and all off of one dish....so if you have 22 TVs, 10 DVRs, and 12 stand alone receivers, you could be watching/recording 42 different HD programs. :grin:

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 21 January 2011 - 08:14 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

My head spins at the very thought of it, but Rich584 might even try it.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#18 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

My reasoning for not purchasing HD receivers instead of the HD DVRs is because of the potential scheduling conflicts when my children are connected to the whole house DVR system.

You can take any DVR out of the whole-home set up in that DVRs menu.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

Uverse has a limit of 4 simultaneous streams, which includes any combo of watching live, recording, or playing back, across the entire system. This is a significant limitation.

DirecTV has no practical limit on the number of tuners you can install to view live and/or to record. There *is* a limit to how many receivers can be part of a DECA pool, but that's FAR over the limit of Uverse (I believe 8 DVRs, each of which have 2 sat tuners).

I've got twelve HRs on my DECA system.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   jcormier

jcormier

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thanks all for the responses.

Now that I know that the system could support 4 HD DVRs are recording away at the same time, how do I talk my wife into allowing me to proceed? This is obviously a question for a completely different forum.

spam firewall