Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many HD streams can I pull?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

I've got twelve HRs on my DECA system.

Rich

And some want to know how many MRV streams you can start before you see playback issues.
You could get 12 streams going at once, but how many before you see problems, and with two SWiM-16s, are these going through your router too?
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

My head spins at the very thought of it, but Rich584 might even try it.:)

Too much like work....:lol:

Seriously, I've never had a problem streaming, no matter how many streams I have going. What I can't do is access an HR that is being used as a server by another HR.

I did start to try it once, just to see how many streams I could have, but it would seem to me that with twelve HRs on my DECA system,... oh, hell, I can't even visualize it. I do know that each one of my seven plasmas can receive a stream. That help?

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

And some want to know how many MRV streams you can start before you see playback issues.

The most I've had was seven, had no problems and that was just normal usage.

You could get 12 streams going at once, but how many before you see problems, and with two SWiM-16s, are these going through your router too?

Yup, they all go thru my router along with a whole bunch of BD players, Rokus, computers, games and my OOMA. Since I switched to static IP addresses, I've had no issues.

Those legacy ports on the SWM-16s intrigue me. What can I do with the legacy ports I have in my basement? The other SWM-16 is outside and I only have one cable left that I could hook up to a legacy port. I've got a bunch of TiVos I want to sell and I have to be sure they work before I put them up for sale. That, I think I can do with the legacy ports, is that correct? Is there any way to put an HR on the legacy ports?

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

The most I've had was seven, had no problems and that was just normal usage.

Yup, they all go thru my router along with a whole bunch of BD players, Rokus, computers, games and my OOMA. Since I switched to static IP addresses, I've had no issues.

Those legacy ports on the SWM-16s intrigue me. What can I do with the legacy ports I have in my basement? The other SWM-16 is outside and I only have one cable left that I could hook up to a legacy port. I've got a bunch of TiVos I want to sell and I have to be sure they work before I put them up for sale. That, I think I can do with the legacy ports, is that correct? Is there any way to put an HR on the legacy ports?

Rich

• You have two DECA clouds being bridged through your router. If you start streaming between receivers on the same SWiM-16, these aren't going through your router, so you could get an idea of how well the DECA cloud performs. You could then increase this from the other cloud, which would be going through your router, but more than likely your router wouldn't be a bottleneck.
  • The SWiM-16 legacy ports are "full range", so they will be "much like" connecting straight to the dish. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could add a WB68 to the four legacy ports.
  • Thanks to some work by someone with a power meter, the legacy ports measure out with a bit more loss [-10 dB] than if they were fed by a 2-way splitter from the SWiM-16's inputs.
  • This suggests multiple cascades could/will end up with low signal levels and early rainfade.

A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

• You have two DECA clouds being bridged through your router. If you start streaming between receivers on the same SWiM-16, these aren't going through your router, so you could get an idea of how well the DECA cloud performs. You could then increase this from the other cloud, which would be going through your router, but more than likely your router wouldn't be a bottleneck.

I wish we lived next to each other, you could play with my system anytime you wanted to. I'm too lazy. One of these days I'll give it a try, I promise.

• The SWiM-16 legacy ports are "full range", so they will be "much like" connecting straight to the dish. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could add a WB68 to the four legacy ports.
  • Thanks to some work by someone with a power meter, the legacy ports measure out with a bit more loss [-10 dB] than if they were fed by a 2-way splitter from the SWiM-16's inputs.
  • This suggests multiple cascades could/will end up with low signal levels and early rainfade.

• Got it. All I really want to do is test my TiVos. Don't want any grief from buyers on eBay, rather make sure they work before I sell them, while I still can. I was just curious about the HRs. I really have to get rid of some of mine. I just hate to give up HRs that work properly.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
    • 12,082 posts
    • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

[*]The SWiM-16 legacy ports are "full range", so they will be "much like" connecting straight to the dish. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could add a WB68 to the four legacy ports.

Or another SWiM. I have a SWiM8 hanging off the legacy ports of a SWiM16. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
    Directv since 1997
    Will Work for Beer

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
    • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Or another SWiM. I have a SWiM8 hanging off the legacy ports of a SWiM16. :)

Rich already has a SWiM-16 "hanging off" another SWiM-16. ;)
    A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
    • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

OK. I am trying to compare the feature set of DTV and U-Verse and I understand that there is a limit as to how many HD streams you can pull off of the wire when using U-Verse.

So based on this thread, there does not seemed to be a limitation to how many HD streams I can access. As long as the individual hardware limitation is not exceeded (two per device), we should be good.

There is no limitation. Currently, a DVR can only record 2 shows at once, but you can have 4 DVR's which can then record 8 shows at once. With whole home DVR, you then watch all 8 shows from any other DVR or tuner in the house.

As far as comparing it to U-Verse, there is no limit in the amount of receivers you can have and/or channels coming in at the same time. If you have twenty TV's in that huge mansion of yours, you can watch HD on each and every one of them, at the same time.

You can do that with Cable as well by the way. Only IPTV is limited, where FIOS still allows at least 8 HD at the same time, and U-Verse is limited to anywhere from 2 to 4 HD, depending on how close you are to a VRAD. Most customers see 2 or 3 HD, and 2 or 1 additional SD, for a total of 4 channels at the same time.

If the U-Verse DVR is recording 4 shows at the same time, NO ONE can watch TV. :D (except for already recorded programs)
    [Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
    • 20,574 posts
    • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Rich already has a SWiM-16 "hanging off" another SWiM-16. ;)

You know, when you think about my installation, we did that by PM across a continent! And totally amazed Rick the Tech, who still remembers you well. Just saw him a couple weeks ago. He sent his best wishes. He still can't believe what we did that day.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
    • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

It boils down to each DVR can record two and output two for a total of four. This makes the real limitation the number of receivers you can have. IIRC, the limitation is a max of thirty-two tuners of a single dish (I could be way off on that).

We did an install where one Slimline is running over 100 tuners. SL5 LNB being fed into an inline amp, to 4 1x4 SWM splitters, to 4 SWM32s. Folks there have everything from D12s to HR24s, and we've yet to have a report of a system-based problem. :)

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
    DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...