Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cozdabuch

cozdabuch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm looking to get D* to upgrade my receivers and I'm aware that there is no way to guarantee a receiver model unless it is purchased at a retailler.

My question is this:

If I get d* to upgrade my system and they send an HR23 and H23s to replace my old SD receivers, can I buy H24/HR24s from outside retailers after the fact and swap the boxes and send back the 23s? Or will they make me add any purchased receivers as additional? Basically only pay for them if D* does not give me what I'm looking for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdmerrill

cdmerrill

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm looking to get D* to upgrade my receivers and I'm aware that there is no way to guarantee a receiver model unless it is purchased at a retailler.

My question is this:

If I get d* to upgrade my system and they send an HR23 and H23s to replace my old SD receivers, can I buy H24/HR24s from outside retailers after the fact and swap the boxes and send back the 23s? Or will they make me add any purchased receivers as additional? Basically only pay for them if D* does not give me what I'm looking for.

If you are not under contract you can dicker and get what you want.If you are under contract,good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yes, you can get different receivers and send back the old ones. The things they care about are that you keep the monthly service, and you give back the receivers you deactivate.

If you get a new receiver from Weaknees or Solid Signal, they are leased and come with a2 year contract. This runs concurrent to any contract you have. So if six months into a two year you get a new HR24, your contract will be extended 6 months.

Be careful buying owned units. Call the Access Card department with the ID and make sure it really is owned. If you do get owned receivers, the Protection Plan is worth getting, so that if a receiver goes bad, the replacement is also owned. Otherwise, you end up leased.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Keep in mind though, you will have to pay $99 for a receiver or $199 for a DVR from anyplace you get it, and DirecTV won't credit that back to you. So yes, you can do that, and replace the units you have, but at some cost to yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

If I get d* to upgrade my system and they send an HR23 and H23s to replace my old SD receivers, can I buy H24/HR24s from outside retailers after the fact and swap the boxes and send back the 23s?

No, but you CAN request that Directv allow you to purchase your upgraded lease boxes from a retailer and credit your account for the cost. IF you have been a customer a while, or they are in a good mood, they will do this. I had them allow me to go to Best Buy (when Best Buy carried them) and get my new DVR, and DirecTv put a $199 credit on my bill (so I ended up paying the tax, no big deal). Worth asking.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

Keep in mind though, you will have to pay $99 for a receiver or $199 for a DVR from anyplace you get it

And you KNOW this for a fact because??? :confused:
Sorry, but there ARE places to get them for LESS than those prices (yes, BRAND NEW ones) I know, because I've done it several times, as well as others on this & other boards have done the same... ;)

No, but you CAN request that Directv allow you to purchase your upgraded lease boxes from a retailer and credit your account for the cost. IF you have been a customer a while, or they are in a good mood, they will do this. I had them allow me to go to Best Buy (when Best Buy carried them) and get my new DVR, and DirecTv put a $199 credit on my bill (so I ended up paying the tax, no big deal). Worth asking.

+1 - they did it for me on BOTH my HR20's...agree it's worth a shot; worse they can do is say no.
Agree w/dpeters11 above - you have a MUCH better chance if you OUT of contract, though. (which I was)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...