Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chattering internal drives.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

A few weeks ago there were some questions about chattering HDD internal drives, mostly in the 20-700s. A couple days ago I hooked up a 20-700 that I hadn't been using in my living room. Today, while reading the paper, the noise from the internal drive got so bad that I hooked up a 1.5TB Seagate Cuda (which is about what you'd expect to find in a stock 20-700) in an MX-1 to the 20-700 and waited for it to boot up. That internal drive had been making so much noise I didn't really expect the external drive to help.

Wrong. Now you can hear nothing from the 20-700. If you have a chattering internal drive in one of your HRs, I would (and have, in the past, but I really didn't think it would work on this one) recommend putting an external drive on it.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

Just a point of clarification.....
If the noise from the internal drive is the sound of it failing(scratchy, etc..) adding an external will not fix it as the internal still spins when using an external drive.

#3 OFFLINE   namklak

namklak

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Apparently, connecting an external drive bypasses operation of the internal drive. I can see why the the dvr might spin-up an internal drive when an ext drive is connected. But I can't believe all subsequent read/write commands are sent to both drives. If it did, all data would be on both drives, which it is not. So even though the internal drive may be spun-up, it is probably not doing all the seeks from the read/write commands. Therefor, it could be making less noise with an ext drive connected.
Yes/no?
-Bob

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Correct. Surely Yes.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

Apparently, connecting an external drive bypasses operation of the internal drive. I can see why the the dvr might spin-up an internal drive when an ext drive is connected. But I can't believe all subsequent read/write commands are sent to both drives. If it did, all data would be on both drives, which it is not. So even though the internal drive may be spun-up, it is probably not doing all the seeks from the read/write commands. Therefor, it could be making less noise with an ext drive connected.
Yes/no?
-Bob

I dunno, Bob. I've pretty much given up on why these things happen and I'm willing to blindly accept that doing X creates Y. Puzzling these things out just boggles my mind. If I had to answer your well put question, my answer would be yes.

For instance, look at all the posts about YouTube on the forum. First thing that crossed my mind when I read that it had been enabled was "why". I have many ways to access YouTube and I never do, but I got caught up in trying it out on the HRs. Now I'll just write that off as a first step towards something else, because I really doubt that anybody is gonna subscribe to D* just to get YouTube. There is obviously a deeper purpose.

Rich

spam firewall