Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Same program recorded until hard drive filled up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

One of my dvrs (HR22) recorded the same show until the hard disk was filled tonight. Everything that was on this dvr prior to this show was recorded over. I did a reboot with no success as I expected. I deleted the show and sure enough the space now shows 100% free.

I called PP and they said if it happened again that they would replace the DVR. I guess that is fair but I would really hate to have a lot of programs recorded again and have the dvr do this again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I be concerned about this occurring again?

I attached a picture if anyone wants to see it. It is actually my wife's dvr. The screen shot is from a different receiver using MRV so that is why it shows 43% free.

Attached Thumbnails

• image001.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   imposterxyz

imposterxyz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Same thing was happening for the same show on my HR-21, but as luck would have it, I was home and managed to reboot it before it had to start erasing to find space. Before I deleted the multiples, it showed almost 800 episodes.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Occasional glitches like this do happen...The best protection against it writing over your shows, is to set all your shows up to "Keep until I delete", not let them stay as "Keep until disk full"

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

Very odd... Fairly Legal only recorded once for me.

Another thing to consider... It only first aired last night at 10pm, not 10:20, so there's no way there could be 322 showings of it already.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

Occasional glitches like this do happen...The best protection against it writing over your shows, is to set all your shows up to "Keep until I delete", not let them stay as "Keep until disk full"

This is the default setting (Keep Until I Delete) I have used since the early days. With some of our testing we did run into a "runaway" recording, and the KUID setting saved the existing programs. If you have any recordings that you care about that are laying around long term, or just recorded and are a "must watch", the safest setting is KUID. Of course, if something else goes wrong, and there is no room to record a new show, it won't record in this setting.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

It couldn't record the same show like that though. There are only 2 tuners which means at most it could only record it twice. Even if it recorded and stopped and kept doing that it would stop once the run time was over. I see that you have MRV are you sure some of those others aren't on another HD DVR?

I've seen a live event record until all HD space is gone but it shows the 1 show and the run time of like 14 hours.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...