Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unbalanced SWM?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

I've been having intermitten 771, 771A, 771B errors on one of my HD DVRs. I recently went from 4 to 5 HD-Dvrs. Previously I had 4 (Bedroom, Play Room, 2 in Family Room) on a 3lnb swm. When the extra receiver was added, I placed it in the Family Room with 2 others and placed the bedroom receiver on an old 5lnb SWM dish I had. A week or so after doing this I started getting searching for satellite messages in the Play room. I changed cabling, (going as far as removing the wall plate from the equation) to no avail. I swapped DVRs with the bedroom and still get the same issues in the play room. My wiring for the main dish is as follows:
LNb -
-green label 4 way splitter-
1) DECA inserter
2)Play Room DVR
3)(power to LNB)-Power inserter in Family ROOM
(to IRD) to Green Label 4-Way Splitter-
a) HD DVR 1
B) HD DVR2
c) HD DVR3

The only thing I haven't done is placed on the playroom receiver on the older dish (for MRV reasons). Family room and play room receivers are DECA connected, bedroom is direct wired to network. I even tried removing the DECA from the play room receiver. Do I have an unbalanced SWM from the way the lines are split?
Thanks for the insight,
Jay

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

I recently went from 4 to 5 HD-Dvrs.

Only a SWiM-16 can handle more than 4 HD DVRs. So it sounds like you've overloaded yours by adding the 5th.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

No, the bedroom receiver is on its own 5lnb SWM dish

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

OK, then... what are your coax lengths?
These are close to the max.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1290621499
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Make sure it's something easily overlooked like a splitter connecting to another splitter. I've seen this happen before and so the second dish isn't really being used. 771A means that your receiver is not recognizing the SWM. So if you're wiring is ok just run a system test. Resetting your PI will remove the error temporarily but it will come back once the receiver tries to detect the SWM again.

#6 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

OK, then... what are your coax lengths?
These are close to the max.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1290621499

The run from the 4 port splitter in the basement to the play room on the second floor is unlikely to be more than 150' but I don't know for sure as I'm using the preexisting single runs in a 5 year old house.

Make sure it's something easily overlooked like a splitter connecting to another splitter. I've seen this happen before and so the second dish isn't really being used. 771A means that your receiver is not recognizing the SWM. So if you're wiring is ok just run a system test. Resetting your PI will remove the error temporarily but it will come back once the receiver tries to detect the SWM again.

I've tripple checked the splitters. The bedroom is completely seperate from the other 4 receivers on its own dish.

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

...I've tripple checked the splitters. The bedroom is completely seperate from the other 4 receivers on its own dish....

Out of curiosity, why did you go the second dish route vice a SWM16?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

Is the unused port on the splitter terminated?

#9 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you go the second dish route vice a SWM16?

I had the extra dish laying around and an extra pole in the ground so I used it instead of purchasing a new LNB and a SWM 16 switch.

Is the unused port on the splitter terminated?

All unused ports are terminated.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

The run from the 4 port splitter in the basement to the play room on the second floor is unlikely to be more than 150' but I don't know for sure as I'm using the preexisting single runs in a 5 year old house.

I've tripple checked the splitters. The bedroom is completely seperate from the other 4 receivers on its own dish.

Did you run the system test?

#11 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Did you run the system test?

No, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot and reort back with the results.

#12 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

No, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot and reort back with the results.

I ran a system test and it came back as not enough SWM channels. I double checked my wiring and there are only 4 HD DVRs on the system with a 5 HD DVR on a completely separate dish. I think the LNB may be bad. I placed the play room reciever on the other SWM dish with the bedroom receiver and everything is working as it should. I have no clue as to why I'm getting error messages at only one location in my house off of the main SWM. My only theory is that the longer cable run causes the apparent fault in the LNB to appear.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

I ran a system test and it came back as not enough SWM channels. I double checked my wiring and there are only 4 HD DVRs on the system with a 5 HD DVR on a completely separate dish. I think the LNB may be bad. I placed the play room reciever on the other SWM dish with the bedroom receiver and everything is working as it should. I have no clue as to why I'm getting error messages at only one location in my house off of the main SWM. My only theory is that the longer cable run causes the apparent fault in the LNB to appear.

Take a look at the setup menu/SAT levels/SWM.
There should be 9 channels displayed.
Each tuner connected can "take" a channel and cause it to show a zero on the setup screen of another receiver.
If you put ALL receivers on this setup screen, you should have no zeros.
What are the numbers you have?
Monitor this receiver's screen and then exit the setup menu on another receiver and recheck "this" receiver's screen. Did one or two zeros appear?
One by one, have each receiver exit the setup menu and monitor the SWM screen.
What did you see?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

um....thats an easy one....

a 4 way splitter can only do 5 tuners

you need an 8 way splitter, which can do 9 tuners 9 ( i have tried 10, it dont work)

#15 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

you need an 8 way splitter, which can do 9 tuners 9 ( i have tried 10, it dont work)

Please tell me your not serious or are in any way, shape or form involved in training others.

The number of ports on a splitter have NOTHING to do with the number of tuners it can support. A 4 way splitter can easily support 4 dvrs for a total of 8 tuners.

Whoever is telling you otherwise is incompetent, an idiot, woefully misinformed or some combination of all three.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Please tell me your not serious or are in any way, shape or form involved in training others.

The number of ports on a splitter have NOTHING to do with the number of tuners it can support. A 4 way splitter can easily support 4 dvrs for a total of 8 tuners.

Whoever is telling you otherwise is incompetent, an idiot, woefully misinformed or some combination of all three.

a trifecta

Seriously there isn't an ounce of truth in that post. :nono:

Someone hasn't made the change from the old legacy switches and the Single Wire (i) Multi-switch which uses splitters.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

I just love it when a guy posts something ludicrous and he only had 5 Posts here and he doesn't have a Clue about what he is talking about but just wants people to think he knows stuff!!! AMAZING!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

I've heard the "a 4-way splitter can do 4 tuners", but I've never heard the "4-way can do 5 tuners." Is the myth now:

total tuner count = splitter ports + 1 :lol:

As VOS and RobertE have mentioned already this is nowhere near the truth, and is honestly sad that these myths continue to be so pervasive...

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

I've heard the "a 4-way splitter can do 4 tuners", but I've never heard the "4-way can do 5 tuners." Is the myth now: total tuner count = splitter ports + 1 :lol:

As others have mentioned already this is nowhere near the truth, and is honestly sad that these myths continue to be so pervasive...

"Then there was the one":
You need to use "every other" port on a splitter, when connecting DVRs with two tuners. :eek2: :nono2: :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

myth????? LOL:lol::hurah:

ok whatever dude.....i only install 4 room systems 3 times a day, all with a dual tuner dvr = 5 tuners total on a 4 way.......

Never said 5 tuners wouldn't work on a 4-way. The problem is that you believe a 4-way equals 5 tuners when you can get 8 tuners on a 4-way (in addition to believing you can get 9 tuners on an 8-way.) Seems someone needs to re-read the manual :rolleyes:

Believe it or not there's a whole home DVR coming which has 5 internal tuners and you can use all 5 without a single splitter :eek2:
In case you're not paying attention this means that splitters have nothing to do with tuner count... ;)

Edited by dsw2112, 26 January 2011 - 10:23 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...