Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Current HD DVR Unit Model 2011

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daybyday

daybyday

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I need to change my HR20-700 in order to get 3D. Would you folks tell me what the current model of HD DVR is out and, based on your experience and knowledge, what would be the best one to buy, and recommendations on where to buy it. DIRECTV sent me an HR21-200. The channel changing response time has gotten painfully slow. Please advise. Thanks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

Welcome to the forum, daybyday. :) Have you been a lurker for a while? I lurked almost three years before I made my first post.

The current model is the HR24. It has three different manufacturers, the -X00 part of the model number, and they all seem to be about the same. It's much faster than either your HR20 or HR21 and seems to be more stable, too.

A popular place to get one is Solid Signal. They are $199 there.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

The latest model is the HR24 and it offers improved speed.

Try DIRECTV first and see what they will offer you.

I would expect that you shouldn't have to pay more than $180 to enter into a leased HR24.

Be very careful about checking with DIRECTV on the true status of "owned" equipment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   daybyday

daybyday

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks. Yes, I did come here for several years before but not in the last two years. My old TV failed and I want to make current my electronics when I change it all out. This will keep me good for many years to come. It is a lot of work and expense but worth it if done informed. I have read questions about the need for B sideband converters with the new unit. I have them now on my existing unit. Do I need them again?

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

My old TV failed and I want to make current my electronics when I change it all out. This will keep me good for many years to come.

I doubt the HR24 will keep you good for many years to come, but it all depends upon your needs (current and future).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Technically the HR20,21,22,23, and 24 units are all "current." Realistically the odds of getting an HR20 or HR23 are fairly low.

If you are so inclined, solidsignal.com seems to be the best for getting the exact model you want.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

I thought all the current HR2x models were OK for 3D.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I thought all the current HR2x models were OK for 3D.

Nope. The HR20 has not been "enabled" for 3D.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall