Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use TWO power inserters on a SWM / DECA SYSTEM ??????

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

I Have two HDR-20's on a SWM / DECA system.
Due to long runs and other logitical issues, I have re-located the power inserter from the distribution point (where the cable from the dish splits into the runs for the different rooms) to one of the "TV" rooms. I have an extra power inserter in my possession and I was wondering if it would work if I inserted it in the original location ALONG with the second power inserter in the tv room?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

DO NOT USE 2 POWER INSERTERS for SWiM .. PERIOD!
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Now .. you may have to have a power 1 power inserter for the SWiM and a second power inserter for the DECA.

One power inserter sends power back towards the dish .. The second sends power to a DECA module for Internet connectivity. If you are trying to do something like that, then you need to describe your situation a bit more.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

Unless you are using non-directv approved splitters, connecting another PI on a different branch of a splitter wouldn't do anything since only one port passes power.

Running it inline between the first splitter and the dish would probably fry it, I doubt the IRD port on the PI can handle that high of a voltage and current in, and I would hope, since it is white, that it is DC blocked like the splitter ports are anyway.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

I moved the power inserter to a TV room so that it could be on a power outlet that is part of a generator back up system (We have a lot of power outages where I live). The room is about 70 feet (of coax) from the distribution point. It works out ok, but sometimes certain channels (Like 202 /CNN) fail to connect the first time I attempt to tune, requiring me to go to a diffenet channel and back to the original to get it to tune in. This didn't occur with the power inserter in it's original location, so I assume it is a result of the added distance. I know I don't want to put "Power to power" in the system for the obvious reasons....I am trying to figure out a way to have the system work on the generator when there are outages, and I may just live with it the way I described. I don't have a generator powered outlet near the distribution point...I wish I did as that would probably be the best way to solve the issue.

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

70 feet shouldn't be an issue. My first thought is maybe the cable is copper clad steel and cant pass the DC power very well, but still even 70 feet should be ok from what I have been told on here.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

If you have a multimeter handy, you can try a quick test. Measure the output of the PI, should be 21.x, then go check at the LNB (or as close as you can get if it's up on your roof out of reach). That will tell you how much voltage drop you have. I can't recall what the cutoff point is, but when you hit it, it will stop working.

If you have considerable drop, you can replace your PI with PI29 giving you some extra headroom for voltage drop.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

I think it's not really broken...so I am not going to fix it. I'll take the safe path for now,

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

I think it's not really broken...so I am not going to fix it. I'll take the safe path for now,

I've got to ask a dumb question:
When you moved the PI, did you also move the coax it's connected to to the power passing port on the splitter(s)?
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks.

Sometimes it's the simple things that bite you in the behind. :lol:

How far is it from PI to SWiM?
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

And the system is working fine except for the occasional failure to grab CNN
(202) on the first attempt, a problem that did not exist prior to relocating the PI.
All in all, a problem I can live with.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

And the system is working fine except for the occasional failure to grab CNN
(202) on the first attempt, a problem that did not exist prior to relocating the PI.
All in all, a problem I can live with.

Unless there is some copper clad steel coax in this, there shouldn't be any problem. My PI is about 90' away.
I'd guess you've powered down the SWiM and receivers, and then powered the SWiM, waited a couple of mins and powered each receiver up by now.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

What is the voltage reading at the LNB?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...